“Harbour House great stay”

Harbour House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Cape Town
“Harbour House great stay”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Perfect location, everything within walking distance, shops, market, restaurants. Lovely spacious rooms, beautiful decor, friendly staff. Well recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed here for 1 night during the whale season. The room was well appointed and clean - the windows needed some cleaning though.... The satellite TV channels were inadequate and the TV of poor quality. Well appointed mini bar and a great view of Walker Bay and surounding mountains. The frolicking whales were so close we could almost touch them. Staff was very friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Rooms 30 and 31 are the best. Pillows are generally of poor quality
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Would highly recommend Harbour House. You will not find a better combination of quality, price and location.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Port Elizabeth, South Afica
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed at Harbour House during the 2011 Hermanus Whale festival and can highly recommend it to anyone seeking accommodation in Hermanus.

The rooms are light and airy with all the amenities expected from even higher start- rated establishments. The staff where very professional yet friendly are where more than happy to assist with directions and advice.

I became sick during our second day's stay in Hermanus and the night staff can be commended for their concern and assistance with this unfortunate event. They arranged for the ambulance to collect me and made sure my wife was safe during her trips in the early hours of the morning to and from the hospital. I cannot thank them enough for that.

The location is also very close to the old harbour, literally across the road from this picturesque setting. The off-site restaurant just across the road is also of a very high standard and the dinner we had there was excellent. Very romantic setting indeed.

To the Harbour House staff: Thanks for making our stay a memorable one. We are sure to return - this time in good health :-)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Harbour House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
As a team we would like to thank you for positive comments. We are proud of our staff and happy that they have contributed in making your visit to Hermanus a memorable one.
We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.
ayrshire scotland
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Perfect situation with just a step across the road taking you to the famous whale watching cliffs of Hermanus. the rooms were very well appointed with excellent use of space and opening to a private balcony with views to die for. Television (as if you need it) and a nice kitchen area to prepare light lunches (microwave, kettle, glasses, cups and cutlery) Bathrooms were luxurious and clean. Staff very helpful. A step across one road and you enter an area littered with restaurants for all tastes. Considering its location and facilities it was very reasonably priced. Ours was described as "partial sea view" but still very acceptable views. Well recommended. A must try !

Room Tip: sea view is a must
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
On behalf of the Harbour House team I would like to thank you for your positive review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed for two nights as part of our trip along the garden route. The staff were very helpful indeed and breakfast (albeit across the road) was a real treat. A bit of traffic noise overnight, but amply compensated for by the sea views - we saw whales breaching from our balcony.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
, General Manager at Harbour House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
On behalf of Harbour House Hotel and our staff we would like to say thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I booked to stay at the Harbour House Hotel during my fist visit to South Africa and was thoroughly impressed, a very nice place indeed.

The hotel's location within Hermanus is hard to beat, right on the ocean front and foot steps into the town centre as well.

I was warmly and pleasantly greeted upon check in and every member of staff I came into contact with was very pleasant and helpful. I feel a special mention is deserved by Maryke, thanks for typing up those directions to Kleinbaai for me. It's little things like that, that make a difference.

There is no restaurant or bar at the Harbour House but you are so close to town it doesn't really matter. Breakfast is available at a restaurant just across the road.

Secure, remote controlled, gated car parking is available, under and to the rear of the hotel, for a nominal price, 20 Rand/night during my stay. There are several free parking spaces just outside the front of the hotel too

My room was a "premier" room. Basically a sea/ocean view room and I feel it was well worth the price premium. The views across the bay and out to the mountains are fantastic. If you visit Hermanus and stay in a premier room during whale season, you'll be able to do some whale watching right on your balcony with a pair of binoculars. It is however a very short walk to the cliff paths for an even better view. One night I also recall being sat in my room with the balcony door open and could hear a whale blowing just out near the old harbour which put a smile on my face, it was something nice and different for me anyway.

The room itself was of a high standard in all ways. More than ample in size and nice nuetral but stylish decor. High quality furniture and fittings. I found the mini kitchen a very convenient facility to have. The bathroom has a separate bath and shower cubicle. A big television set gave me my first experience of South African television. The desk featured a useful international power socket board that will accept SA/UK/Euro and US plugs without the need for an adapter. Everything was very clean and tidy both in the room and the public areas of the hotel. I didn't find noise to be a problem at all despite the road side and sea front location.

I note from a previous review that mention was made of there being no suitable chairs for sitting out on the balcony. My and it would appear all the other rooms are now provided with good solid outdoor chairs for use on the balcony. Now that's a good positive response.

My main reason for being in the area was for shark cage diving, which was so good I had decided before I left I would come back to do again in 2012. Without the slightest doubt I will stay at the Harbour House Hotel. I found it to be a very good hotel of a very high standard with top quality staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your stay at Harbour House Hotel.
It’s rewarding knowing that our staff has contributed in making your first visit to South Africa a pleasant one.
We are very excited to announce that our own restaurant and bar will be opening soon.
We look forward welcoming you back to Harbour House Hotel in 2012.