“short stay”
Review of Baleens

Baleens
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 9 June 2013

the service was good ,the room I felt a bit stark ,the bathroom needs a shelve ,I felt like it needed a make over everything was a bit tired . The location we found to far out , on the plus side we did have free wi fi ,a roaring coal fire on a cold night & nice bottle of red wine .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Baleens

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I had been traveling with a group of friend throughout South Africa and was ready for some last minute alone time. I found Baleens on Trip Advisor and Hostel World. Both had great reviews so I went with it. Paula was quick to answer my emails, pleasant on the phone, and was incredibly helpful with my search for a car service from Cape Town to Hermanus (John MountJoy was amazing!). The guest house is just on the edge of town, tucked up a short way from the ocean. I found out after the fact that the town is a bit outside walking distance, and tuck tuck is the only public transport to and from the center of Hermanus (which is kind of amazing.) The old dutch architecture of the surrounding houses adds to the charm. The house itself is beautifully decorated with white stucco walls, African treasures, beautiful floating linens, and dark wood finishes. When I walked in and gave the gentleman at the front desk my name, Nando started yelling around the corner, "Christina's here! Christina's here!" And Paula came out and greeted me with an incredibly warm welcome. I've never experienced that type of welcome at a B&B, and I don't think I ever will again. My second floor, corner room with a huge deck room was stunning! Between the beauty of the ocean, the comfort of Baleens, the friendless of the people in town, and the genuine warm hearts of Paula and Nando, I could have, and wanted to stay there for much longer than two nights. I honestly could not recommend Baleen's more. You should book here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My second visit in 3 months. Stayed over the New Year with family.They used a ground floor family room and my wife and I had a room with a sea view upstairs. In March we brought a group of 8 golfers. We occupied 4 double rooms upstairs (all with sea views). The second evening we used the braai facilities and the hotel supplied the salads. The breakfast was very good and the staff attentive and friendly. A good value for money hotel with an excellent beach within walking distance. JC Stellenbosch

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank UkDonegal
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I spent 6 nights there.
Most important is the quality of service given by hosts. They are friendly, helpfull, customer oriented.
Breakfast - bravo!
Internet worked fine in my room,
room size - good
bathroom - same
If you have not microvawe or kettle in your room - you can find it in open space on the first floor
Some guys say that Baleens are out of Hermanus. For me Hermanus starts at Baleens

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wojciech C
Reviewed 8 May 2013

What a wonderfull night we had at Baleens to celebrate our second anniversary. Our room were very nice and clean, and the breakfast were out of the books! Thank you Baleens for a wonderfull overnight!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013

All you want:
Wonderful rooms,
Wifi,
Walking distance to beach and The Grotto Restaurant (very good!),
nice staff,
amazing breakfast (if mentioned beforehand it is possible to receive gluten free bread for breakfast!).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Der R
Reviewed 25 April 2013

A delightful stay in a lovely serene spot. The staff where wonderful. The owners could not be more helpful and they serve a great breakfast cooked to your specific preference. The rooms where immaculate with lots of lovely local artwork.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermanus
The Whale Coast All Suite Hotel
#4 of 11 in Hermanus
Oude Schuur
Oude Schuur
#1 of 1 in Vermont

Been to Baleens? Share your experiences!