“No mistake, but you can do better in Hermanus”
Review of Baleens

Baleens
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Paris, France
“No mistake, but you can do better in Hermanus”
Reviewed 15 August 2010

The hostel is located close to the sea which you can see if you get one of the sea-facing rooms that also include a private balcony. But be aware: They offer a sea-facing twin room through their website which does not exist in reality. We arrived and were told that the twin room now is a double. Maybe not a problem for a (thin) couple, but definitely for a non-couple that has to share a 140cm mattress with only one blanket. We were a little disappointed about that, but the room itself was nice and tidy. Breakfast was also very good, so taking everything into consideration, this place is fine - but only if you have a car as it is located approx. 7km away from the city center. We stayed here in August (SA off season, but Hermanus peak season due to the whales) and while wandering around the city center, we saw a couple of nice places that were just a little more expensive but looked far better.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Hebrew first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed at Baleens for one night, my parents, myself, my Fiance and my 2 year old. Mr Bernard was extremely accommodating to all of our requests and needs. It was a wonderful stay, the rooms are comfortable set out with everything you may need. Lovely breakfast in the morning. Everyone at Baleens are full of smiles - happy peaceful getaway everyone can enjoy!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel and loved it 100% percent. I work in the hotel indus and know what to look for....in hotels. The staff was friendly and very helpfull. THe view from the place very nice. PLeace is just out of town and still close enough to have a good time.
I call it a home away from home...........i will be back

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
sud est France
Reviewed 11 February 2010

This seems to be the first review for this bed and breakfast (I have never understood the difference between a B and B and a guesthouse, they all have a breakfast usually).
Before going back to France I had some days left for relaxing in the area ; I wanted a guesthouse cheap, friendly, clean, and with free secure Wifi internet which is a little bit difficult to find in South Africa, unless you go to very luxury places (and then you pay for).
So what I do usually: I visit the town with my car and look at all the accommodation ; and when I find a good place, I stop.
What I liked at this place, is that it's located far from the township (which is situated on the west side) on the other side of Hermanus (so on the east side, 6 kms from the center, in Voëlklip at the end of Grotto beach).
It's very safe ; no electric fence, no mirador ! .
It was, before the new owners, a hotel restaurant ; so you have 3 large lounges, a large breakfast room (they don't serve meals except the normal and good buffet breakfast) ;
There are 22 rooms not all facing the sea ; I was lucky, as the guesthouse was not full, to have a room upstairs with a large terrace facing the beach ; the hotel is in a very quiet place on the 2nd row ; but you see the beach very well.
The staff is very friendly and discret.
The owner (at that time was only the wife), is very nice and helpful and relaxing as well ; she doesn't seem to worry too much and she is right.
I could catch the signal for internet only in the lounges ; it didn't matter at all ; There is a computer on disposal if you have not your own PC.
The swimming pool is very very small like a handkerchief but you can relax just near.
To reach the beach you walk in a small path, 50 m. The beach is great.
There seems to be only a small restaurant close to the beginning of the beach about 200 to 300 m from Baleens.
I preferred to eat on the terrace some food I bought at the 2 supermarkets about 1 and 2 kms (there is a small kitchenette for the guests at Baleen's) and look at the sunsets.
Otherwise you have to go to the center of hermanus for dining.
The price: I was alone: 250 rands for a double bed including breakfast and wifi (free). I don't know for 2 people.
You can't find anything cheap, otherwise in Hermanus. Baleen's is not great luxury but clean, comfortable and cheap.
I hope the owner will not raise the prices but she doesn't seems to ? I think she deserves my appreciation of her guesthouse.
So you do what you want but I know where I would go if I returned one time in Hermanus >>> Baleen's without hesitation.

• Liked — quietness safe Wifi clean cheap very good value
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank heureuxhomme