“Dont plan this as a romantic getaway”

and 1 more site!
Sandbaai Country House
Ranked #58 of 87 Hermanus B&B and Inns
“Dont plan this as a romantic getaway”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Honestly - a let down. My partner had hunted this guest house down - and planned a very beautiful weekend break - but this guest house was a complete let down.
This guest house has four stars (apparently) however I am considering writing to the tourism industry to request a down grade. We were placed in a VERY musty, dusty little down stairs room - the chairs and furnishings were very old - and very dirty - I did not want to use them. The shower drain was blocked - and when I took a shower - the water didnt drain and rose to around my ankles - then to my horror - the drainage plug filter came off and out came all sorts of dirt up the drain into my shower water (now around my ankles). On top of this - when I can called the previous week to try to change the booking - firstly the woman who answered the phone clearly had a bad line - and therefore did not help me very much (as I guess she did not hear much of what I was saying ) I was then transferred to another woman - who said - 'yes we will change your booking' but they did not think it appropriate to send a booking confirmation. I was then told to wait for 15 minutes while a man was addressing my change of booking - and that he would call me back. He never did - so I returned the call only to be greeted by a VERY rude man on the other end of the phone.
Dont plan this as a romantic getaway.
On the plus side - I saw a whale in the distance.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Thai first
Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We booked one night in early April 2012 at the Sandbaai Country House, while the outside of the building looks great, the rooms are a little tired, with the smallest tv I have ever seen in the bedroom.

Breakfast on the other hand was delicous, and the owners/managers made every effort to make you feel at home.

My biggest issue is that our room was on the ground floor directly next to the parking lot, so privacy was definietly lacking.

Room Tip: Perhaps request a room not located in the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tammy B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

On route from Cape Town to a safari , we decided to stay overnight in Hermanus and we made a booking online for the Sandbaai. When we arrived. 1) We were disappointed. This b&B isnt really in Hermanus as advertised, but the outskirts, about 10/15 minutes drive away. 2) The room really wasn’t up to 4* standard. Funny smell, old furnishings and quite small. We checked out again the same day after finding an excellent 4/5* hotel in the centre for just £20 more.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank coop82

Travellers are raving about these Hermanus hotels

Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I recently stayed at SCL from 2-5 April 2012.I had a lovely big room with a well equipped bathroom and lovely sea-view.It was very reasonably priced and the service was excellent as well as the breakfast.I can recommend this B&B and will go again

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Brest, France
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We have spent on night in this hotel and every people were very very sympathic with us., Wonderful breakfast and fantastic views

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Fantastic views of the sea and great walks, this B&B is in a great position.
Lovely spacious room and bed with soft linen - great night's sleep.
Only things to let it down were that the shower didn't work properly and views from bedroom were not brilliant - but were great from the communal lounge, breakfast was good but could have been cooked slightly better compared to other B&Bs.
Very helpful proprietor showed us where to go and what to do

Room Tip: 1st floor seafacing room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple