“Interesting cuisine, amusing service”
Review of Annie se kombuis - CLOSED

Annie se kombuis
Price range: US$3 - US$31
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 January 2014

An interesting selection of traditional Boer dishes, mostly pot pie types of offerings. We learned about the restaurant from a NY Times travel piece from the mid 2000s, but the place apparently changed owners (and chefs) 2-3 years ago. We opted for the tasting menu, which was fine, if indistinct. This is down home cooking was palatable, but not terribly memorable. Nothing wrong with any of that, although the pricing on the tasting menu was more upmarket than the food itself.

Service at Annie's was charming and amateurish. Our waitress steered us towards the tasting menu in blunt fashion "You should get that. Everyone likes it.". Best of all was when I asked her about three different reds on wine list, which she described simply as light, medium, and dark.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We had a fantastic dinner at Annies Kitchen in Dec 2013 as a family with two kids.We enjojed not only the nice surroundings inside the restaurant but also the friendly, familiy oriented service an of course the wounderful meals. "A Must be" in Hermanus

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were in Hermanus over a chilly and blustery couple of days, and wandered about the town looking for somewhere different to eat. We ventured down what turned out to be a cul-de-sac mini-mall, and were waylaid by a young girl in the doorway of what looked to be a café, and were persuaded in. We are so glad we did. It was such fun. Advertised as traditional SA cuisine - but meaning Boer - it was great. We were persuaded - again - to have the 'Great Trek' tasting platter. It was fabulous! A variety of dishes - pies, hot pot, livers, bobotie, plus others - all served on what appeared to be a barrel stave! And all absolutely delicious.
Don't look for haute cuisine; this is traditional food, served well, and tasting great, in comfortable surroundings. The menu says 'Heerlike Boerekos', which my wife translates as 'hearty farm food'.
Nuff said

1  Thank oldgobbo
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I am a regular at Annie se Kombuis and not ones I had a bad time eating or just drinking something. The Food are always at the top, and believe me I am a difficult customer, just because I can. The food are always AWESOME. The service are so friendly and Michelle the Manager can convince a person to come back and that's why I made Annie se Kombuis my own little get away place. The atmosphere are always in a jolly mood and that is how a restaurant must be. Annie se Kombuis staff always let you feel welcome there, doesn't matter what time or what day. The owners must be very pleased to have such capable staff.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Extremely poor service, over an hour between ordering and receiving food with no apology or explanation from staff. One couple played cards between courses! Fish was chewy and full of bones.