“Great stay!!!!”

Penguino Guesthouse
Ranked #22 of 86 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We travel to Hermanus regularly and have our favorite B&B where we stay, so breaking from our "trusted" accommodation we decided to change it up a bit and try Penguino as a friend recommended it and BOY were are glad we did!! From Arrival we were impressed with the location, facilities and proximity to town, the rooms had everything and more than what we were used to from our previous B&B. We were free to come and go through the main house which was secure and easy to access without big heavy gates, etc. The cherry on the cake was that i informed Stefan on making my booking that i was Gluten intolerant and at Breakfast he had baked me my personal Gluten Free bread which was Amazing!!
In a nut shell……Yes, I would definitely return and Yes, I would certainly recommend this to my friends and family!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GFerreira

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed as a family - wife, daughter, son and his wife and two young daughters - for one night. I'd booked because of Penguino's good rating and a previous review about it being good for children, and I'm glad I did. Being a party of 7 we had all four rooms, my wife and I upstairs, my daughter in a poolside room, and my son's family in two adjoining rooms.

Nikki and Stefan made us very welcome on arrival; the rooms were very well-appointed and comfortable, all with private bathrooms. Nikki recommended a restaurant for dinner (the Cattle Baron - do have the ribs; melt in the mouth delicious!) which we walked to along the cliff boardwalk.

Breakfast the next morning was a treat. Stefan trained under UK chef Marcus Waring, and Penguino's breakfast room showed this. We each had a comprehensive printed menu with a huge choice, and the daily special was blueberry pancakes with berries - a smash hit with the grandchildren. Stefan chatted to us about his experiences in UK and the limitations of a South African passport; we were sorry to have to leave on the next part of our trip.

Penguino is in a quiet suburban road just back from the shore walk, and is a great place to stay in Hermanus. I'd certainly stay for longer next time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Roger J
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at the Penguino for three nights, in the Emperor Penguin room. We received a very warm welcome from Stefan and Nikki who gave us lots of information about the guest house, the local area and great recommendations for restaurants.
Our room was spacious, well maintained and spotlessly clean. It included a well stocked tea tray, safe and had a good wifi signal.
Stefan's breakfasts were a highlight. There was wide a ranging menu but each day Stefan cooked a 'special' eg Blueberry pancakes, French Toast or special omelette. Everything was cooked to perfection with a great eye for detail, even down to to the homemade jams - try the sour fig jam, delicious.
Can highly recommend the Penguino.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank omega
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Staying here was a treat! Beautiful room, newly decorated with five star touches...fresh new linen with attractive pillows, elegant décor, well stocked tea tray, quality amenities in the bathroom, great shower and probably the quietest room I have ever stayed in.
Well located...close to the harbour restaurant with great views and sea food....and close to town....good for early morning walks along the cliffs which you need as the breakfast is so good. Cooked by Chef Stefan Otto, my breakfast was a treat, quality ingredients all the way eg Stefan's homemade jams, berry compote with wonderful yoghurt and the coffee was so delicious I just had to buy some on the way home!
Thank you Stefan and Nikki for a wonderful stay. Gail.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gail T
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is truly paradise on earth. This is by far the best guesthouse I ever stayed.
Myself in the high end hospitality when going any where I am looking for the perfect service with a feel like home, and this is exactly what Penguino is about. You will received the perfect service and Nicki and Stefan (the hosts) can never do enough to make you feel special. The breakfast is also my favourite, Stefan is doing some "special" everyday as well as cooked breakfast and buffet of all sorts. If you are lucky enough to try is French Toast you will come back just for that.
The location is perfect, just next to the sea front and walkable distance of the city center and the market.Stefan and Nicki are also always happy to help, make recommendation for your days and being your personal concierge. I could write a full book about my stay here but I will leave you discover by yourself and get ready for the best experience that you could have in Hermanus.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Lia P
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The guesthouse is very well situated in Hermanus and has nice and cosy decoration.
Breakfast was great - big choice and must try to the berry pancakes!! delicious
the owners are also very friendly and nice
we came with our 2 kids and had a very nice family room with 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms - very big]
we also enjoyed the swimming pool !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ophelia07
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Perfect!!!!!
Nice place, very clean. Very quiet but only a ten minutes walk to the old harbour on the cliff walk.
Best hosts in South Africa.
Best breakfast we ever had in all our journeys.
Da könnt Ihr beruhigt hingehen! !!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple