“Best hotel and restaurant in Hermanus!”

The Marine Hermanus
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I booked into The Marine in Hermanus, for our wedding anniversary. We were pleasantly surprised upon arrival, to find out that we had been upgraded to a suite at the hotel as it was our anniversary!

We were also very impressed by the efficiency of the reception desk, the waiters and chefs at the restaurant. They catered for our special dietary requirements by making a custom menu just for us. The food itself was also very delicious and just perfect! We were also impressed by the helpful travel desk consultant at the hotel. She was very efficient and made every effort to book the best activities for us.

The resident spa at the hotel is also excellent. We had a romantic couples massage at the spa, which was excellent.

We would highly recommend a stay at the Marine when you are in Hermanus.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
hamishhofmeyr, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear Guests

I am delighted that you enjoyed all the aspects of The Marine Hotel on your anniversary. I hope to welcome you back again next year over the same time for more unforgettable memories.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

Myself and my partner checked-in for a Stay-cation to see the whales. We often stay at Relais & Chateaux hotels as they are typically value for money and luxurious in a very understated way.

This time we were wholly disappointed. They just didn't exceed our expectations. though they tried.

They made us feel awkward as said they upgraded us to a suite. But we booked a suite.

Room service was quick but lacking in quality and zeal. Our breakfast was bland and the club sandwich ordered tasted very ordinary and not lavish as one would expect with a club sandwich. It was like your gran used to serve when you were children: rudimentary and suffice.

Also when they delivered room service they never brought or offered condiments such as tomato sauce.

The rooms were very old school and the TV small and far away from the bed.

The rooms' bathrooms were also in dire need of renovation.

They also never issue you your morning newspaper.

The good thing they could make was a gorgeous cosmopolitan!
Delicious.

The SeaFood restaurant was also bland except the Richman's Fish and Chips.

And lastly the abundantly used fleur de lil motif of Relais & Chateux is massively overused throughout the hotel like no other establishment who also made the grade.

I hate complaining but the hotel is not cheap. Great location. It could do so much better with the little things!

• Stayed: September 2011

Dear guest
I am dissapointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us at The Marine Hotel. The standards that we set for ourselves are stringently high.

I do however hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your vacation and look forward to welcoming you back. I am positive that your experience will be greatly enhanced.

Warm regards

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Wonderful place. Amazing sea food restaurant. A bit too cold during this month and unpredictable weather for the region. But the service was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2011
hamishhofmeyr, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Dear Guest
Our Winter was definitely later this year than the norm but great sightings of the Southern Right whales made up for the cold. I am delighted you enjoyed dining in our Seafood Restaurant and look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

We really could not find any fault with this fanastic hotel. On arrival we were greeted by name. The check in process was seamless and very welcoming. We were speechless when shown our room which overlooked the bay and the (almost) ever present whales(at this time of year.) This was a wish come true! The room was immaculate,very comfortable and extremely well appointed.The staff in every area of the hotel were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble from mending a broken strap on a handbag to the loan of an iron and ironing board.We enjoyed the breakfast and the dinners spent in each of the first class restaurants which we would highly recommend. The hotel is ideally positioned for exploring Hermanus and to observe the whales. We particularly enjoyed talking with the staff and especially our morning chats with the manager. On the day of our departure we were able to retain the use of our room beyond the normal check out time. This was much appreciated and not requested by ourselves. When asked on the hotel survey..how could the hotel be improved,I replied "leave things as they are." We genuinely could not find fault. In conclusion we would have absolutely no hesitation in returning to The Marine. Thank you to all the staff for making our four night stay so memorable.

Room Tip: If possible book a sea facing room....the views and the opportunity to see whales from the comfort o...
2  Thank belongaoz
hamishhofmeyr, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear Guest

Hermanus has something special that draws you back everytime and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine when it does.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Excellent customer service. Definitely the hotel is very posh and excelent staff that went the extra mile to make sure our anniversary was a memorble one. Exceeded our expectations.Seaside room were able to see Whales in te comfort of our roo. Suprises and more supprises from the hotel.

1  Thank Lovelybeach
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed in this property as a part of my SA holidays, in fact I started my vacation with Hermanus. It is just on the shore line, pleasant atmosphere, located in center of the city, heated floors and high ceilings. The hotel staff is very good & helpful from check-in until check-out. We are family of four, booked two rooms with them for two nights and we were treated as if someone special to them.

Very good breakfast in the morning, watching whales from the restaurant is an unforgettable moments. The day we were checking out the weather was clear to go for whale watching boat trip at 9am and return by 1 pm, the hotel manager immediately said to go ahead for trip and allowed to keep the luggage in our rooms, suggested to have shower and then leave the property, which I felt overwhelming.

I would definitely stay in this property, whenever I visit Hermanus in future.

Room Tip: Try to get the sea view to get the best and you will never regret.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Satish M
hamishhofmeyr, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Dear guest

You are perfectly right. Watching whales in the bay while eating a sumptuous breakfast is one of the best experiences one can have. I`m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 9 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night during our honeymoon. They treated us royally. They upgrade us for our honeymoon and gave us a corner suite overlooking the ocean. The room was the best on our two week trip to S. Africa. My wife would have been happy to stay here for several days.

The seafood restaurant was great. My wife asked for a recipe of the dessert, and by the end of the meal, the waiter brought an envelope with it to the table. The breakfast was also excellent and served in an airy room with a beautiful view.

The staff was excellent, attentive and helpful. They went out of their way to inquire and advise on were to go and the benefits of going by one route or another.

The service was remarkable, when I woke up in the morning, I looked out the window and saw that my car was being washed. The attention to detail was great.

By far, the best hotel choice I made during our trip thanks to the great staff. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DFlyFischer
hamishhofmeyr, General Manager at The Marine Hermanus, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear Guest

I am delighted that you enjoyed a part of your Honemoon with us The Marine and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

The Southern Right Whales are visit our shores between July and December so try and plan a follow up visit during this time as it is an unforgettable experience.

Kind Regards