We stayed three nights in The Marine on our fantastic SA honeymoon.
From our lovely welcome by Heather to our departure we could not have asked for better service or value for money.
Champagne in the room on arrival, beautiful turn-downs at night with rose petals and chocolates and the most perfect cosmoplitans that I have tasted anywhere. Service around the pool was prompt and the paninis were delicious. Food in both restaurants was excellent. The first night we ate in the main restaurant and both finished with the banana souffle, which they cut into at the table and poured chocolate rum sauce inside. We were so full we nearly had to be carried up the stairs to bed! The seafood restaurant is beautiful and "New England" in decor.
As with all hotels, your room is what you pay for. We had booked a sea-facing room and we got a huge room on the first floor with a big bath under the bathroom window and another beside the bed in the bedroom so you could lie and relax whilst watching the wales in the bay.
My only gripe was the rain (in Summer!) which cancelled our whale watching trip and took us on a tour of more vineyards!
I find harsh reviews about anything not being "value for money" in SA crazy. Everything is far, far, cheaper than its equivalent in UK.
I would highly recommend this relaxing and contemporary hotel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marine is one of the southern hemisphere's most spectacular seaside Relais & Chateaux properties. Perched on the cliffs, overlooking Hermanus's Walker Bay, The Marine boasts 40 individually decorated bedrooms and suites. This unforgettable property overlooks South Africa's most pristine whale sanctuary, and it is just a stone's throw from one of the greatest densities of the endangered Great White Shark, and selection of fynbos species in the Cape. The Marine offers guests the unique opportunity to experience the finest land-based whale watching in the world. From June to September guests are able to view these majestic creatures from the comfort of their beautiful sea-facing bedroom. The attention to detail is apparent in every aspect of this remarkable owner managed property - from the personal service to the exceptional cuisine which is overseen by The Collection by Liz McGrath's Grand Chef, Peter Tempelhoff, the perfect-for-sundowners Sun Lounge and the in-house Carchele Beauty Spa. Each piece of The Marine story adds another element to an unforgettable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your The Marine Hermanus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Marine Hermanus Hotel Hermanus
- The Marine Hotel Hermanus