“Safe base camp”

The Whale Coast All Suite Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Ideal accommodation from which to explore the surrounds. The suite is very spacious and equipped with all the modern conveniences you could ask for.
Location above a shopping centre with a view of the car park and beyond makes for an interesting stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Phillip G, General Manager at The Whale Coast All Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Tim,
thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for your kind feedback. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Whale Coast Hotel and hope that we will be welcoming you back soon in the future

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The staff were quick to help with all our requests (including an unplanned late checkout), the suite was spacious, charmingly decorated and spotlessly clean, and the hotel is conveniently located above a supermarket, within two minutes' walk of the Hermanus tourist office. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind words. We are glad to have been able to share the Whale Coast Hotel experience with you. It was an absolute pleasure hosting you. We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The rooms are fantastically spacious and comfortable. The staff are extremely friendly and ready to help wherever they are able. The only slight negative is the fact that the rooms overlook a parking lot and thus any quiet relaxation during the day is prevented by car doors being closed and hooting.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Phillip G, General Manager at The Whale Coast All Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Andrew,
Thank you very much for your review on your experience at the Whale Coast Hotel. I have passed on your compliments to the team. Regrettably, our central location does have a some noise levels at certain times of the day due to the shopping center around the corner. We hope that you did not feel the annoyance too much but could enjoy the mountain views and braai facilities rather.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Newly built hotel, very modern and clean. The hotel is actually apartments in a shopping mall which makes it safe (on top of a permanent person at the reception). Staff is helpful and friendly helping you out with any query (restaurant reco and booking, day trips,etc). 5min walking from coast and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Barbara,
thank you for your positive feedback. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt comfortable and safe throughout. We most certainly look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We had a very pleasant one night stay at the Whale Hotel only booked the day before. Friends that we were travelling with booked a 2 bedroom apartment for us to all share. The apartment was large and spacious giving us both private space when needed.
On our arrival were given lots of info about looking at the whales (which were amazing) and also suggested eating places. They even booked our table for us at a place called Lemon Butta which was fantastic.
This stay was two days out from getting married and they also made us feel very special by placing flowers, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our apartment.
It is very central and you can walk the town from there.
We could not have asked for a nicer place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jill,
we are delighted that you
enjoyed your stay with us; we are absolutely honoured that you chose the Whale Coast Hotel to escape the wedding stress and hope you had a once in a lifetime fantastic day . What a truly special occasion for us to host! We hope that one day we will be able to welcome you back not only to South Africa or Hermanus, but to the Whale Coast Hotel again.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked Whale Coast whilst on a business trip to the area. Price and reviews were attractive, and booked. The result? A great experience, perfectly situated within a few minutes walk of all attractions, and great service from Nicole too. The hotel offers self catering as well as arrangements with the many restaurants nearby. I chose a BBQ on my own balcony and relaxed for the evening with my feet up. A great find, thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for BBQ in advance to ensure the wood and matches are nearby!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Marnie, thank you for taking the time out to leave us your review, your feedback is highly appreciated. Here at the Whale Coast Hotel we like to believe that we are able to cater to every kind of traveler and are glad we could create a great experience for you. Thank you very much for informing me/ us about the service Nicole delivered. I have forwarded your feedback to Nicole and you might be interested to hear that she just became our employee of the Quarter. We look forward to welcoming you again and will make sure wood and matches are nearby for another braai!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I live in Toronto, Canada and recently booked 10 nights at the Whale Coast so that I could have a self catering place to stay while relocating my aged Mother-in-law into an assisted living facility in Hermanus. This was my sole reason for coming to South Africa from Canada. Unfortunately 5 days before I was due to arrive my Mother-in-law had a tragic situation that resulted in her being in intensive care for 8 days and her circumstances changed so dramatically that we can no longer move her into the facility we had arranged in Hermanus. I told the Whale Coast Hotel of the situation I found myself in and they would not refund any of the R7500 deposit I had paid to secure the booking. While I understand that this was a last minute booking and cancellation, the reasons for the cancellation were very unfortunate and not something anyone expected. After numerous emails and phone calls to the Hotel the best they offered me was that I could use the value of the deposit up to the end of January 2014 - despite the fact that I explained over and over again that I live in Canada and am no longer ever coming to Hermanus that is what they offered! I feel that absolutely no compassion has been shown at all and while I understand that they are running a business I think that not bending the rules at all is just heartless given the situation that our family is in.
My request was "taken to the top" i.e. to the General Manager and Managing Director but neither of them had the courtesy to personally contact me back. I made a final appeal this week but have not heard back. This is very disappointing! I am sure that the Whale Coast is a beautiful place but their Management are heartless! Leslie Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Leslie S
Phillip G, General Manager at The Whale Coast All Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Ms Small,

Thank you very much for your feedback on the experience you had with Whale Coast Hotel. We as a team were and still are very sorry to hear about your case and hope that your mother-in law- will be on the path to recovery soon.

If I may, I would yet like to elaborate on our view on this situation:

The management team of Whale Coast Hotel took notice of your difficult family situation which was brought to our attention at that time. However, as you have already mentioned, we are a business entity and must act in our best interest eventually. As much as we want our guests to have an exceptional experience at the Whale Coast Hotel, we at the same time have the great responsibility towards our team member and their families by paying salaries hence we have created our cancellation policies.
Due to the tragic circumstances you were in, we decided to keep your deposit to be used at a later stage. This was immediately discussed with your brother who made the booking on your behalf and was in contact with us throughout. Your brother Craig confirmed this arrangement and we proceeded accordingly.

We hope that this clears the misunderstanding.