“At last!”

Ranked #8 of 121 Restaurants in Hermanus
Price range: US$2 - US$16
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: La Pentola established in 1995 has a breath taking panoramic view of Walker Bay, the birthing ground of Southern Right Whales. The perfect venue for executive chef/owner Shane Sauvage's authentic fusion cuisine. All food is prepared to order, using only the very best quality ingredients, real butter, fresh cream and fresh herbs.Yes absolutely no MSG! The menu by internationally renowned executive Chef/ Patron & award winning author Shane Sauvage,comprises of a large variety of fresh seafood & Abalone, free range cuts of beef (KWV Fillet, Tender T-Bone, exotic game dishes, a great selection of vegetarian fare (Aztec Mushrooms) and a decadent selection of in-house deserts (Chocolate Terrine). La Pentola offers a Diamond award wine list with a large variety of local and international wines. We are an A la Carte restaurant that also caters for corporate functions, intimate weddings and special occasions. Open Monday to Sunday Lunch & Dinner.
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We almost gave up hope finding an outstanding restaurant in Hermanus, but this is it! Excellent service and great view over the bay, with every plate of food a masterpiece.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,173)

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We had a number of restaurants to choose from after we'd spent some time whale watching from the cliff (we saw 11 whales!) I'm glad we chose this restaurant - the first thing we appreciated was the beautiful sea view that greeted us as we entered the restaurant.

We were met by a very competent and attentive Courtney who sat us near the window with a wonderful view of the whales. She took the time to go through each of the specials in great detail.

I am gluten intolerant - and after I mentioned that to Courtney, there was no hesitation in making it clear that all of the meals could be prepared without gluten! What a pleasure - not only did she know exactly what I was talking about, but they were prepared to go the extra mile for my business.

My wife said the Limpopo chicken was the best meal she had ever had in South Africa (she has been here for 3 yrs from the US). We also love the gooseberry hake and the Broccoli & Chicken soup starters!

We'll definitely be back - a great experience we will definitely remember!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We visited here as our hotel recommended it. We thought the food was original and found it difficult to select from the menu! I loved the snails entree and I had the kudu caprice from the specials, which was delicious. The crime brûlée was delicious too! Great food.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Never been disappointed by the standard of food, wine and service at this place... not to mention the amazing view. The fillet steak was the best I think I've EVER had...it melted in your mouth like butter...and the chocolate terrine trio for dessert was to die for!

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

There is an extensive menu and a specials menu. Both sparkling with originality. Our meal was bursting with flavour. The combination of flavours and ingredients worked extremely well. The staff were attentive, highly knowledgeable about the food and did not rush us. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and would recommend this restaurant. In the 3 weeks we have been in South Africa this is one of the finest restaurants we have been to, and excellent value for money. When you are in Hermanus this is an absolute must.