“WOW what an experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Soldiers Memorial Museum - CLOSED

Soldiers Memorial Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: A Military Museum dedicated to the experience of the individual soldier. His story, uniform and equipment. The only kind in South Africa. Guided personal tours for small groups. A very unique experience in Hermanus. “There is no glamour in war, only permanent memories and nightmares for those who were there”Enjoy this experience in conjunction with the historical menu and ambience of De Voorskooten Café.Open 08:00 – 16:00, Tuesday - Sunday
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“WOW what an experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

The owner really makes this an unforgetful experience. I love museums as it gives one some perspective on life BUT this experience was totally the best. I had a whiskey in The Gundeck lounge and must say I had never been on a "ship gundeck" - it was awesome!

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Soldiers museum visit in Hermanus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

" during a visit to de voorskooten restaurant I also had the opportunity to experience the soldiers memorial museum on the premises and what a unique experience that was. It is totally unique in the artefacts to be seen and the stories told by the owner makes for a "one of a kind experience"

East London, South Africa
“Unforgettable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I was privileged enough to get a guided tour through the memorial. All though most of it had closed the portion that remained is filled with authentic pieces that you most likely will not encounter anywhere else. The gent that guided us very friendly and extremely knowledgeable on the pieces. I was also fortunate enough to be given a special treat and got to see what was in “Pandora’s Box”, something I will never forgot.

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Soldiers Memorial Museum - WW2 through the eyes of a soldier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I took my 12 yr old son to the Soldiers Memorial Museum in Hermanus after reading the Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Even though the museum was being moved and some of the displays were missing, the owner gave us a fascinating personal tour of the remaining exhibits. This WW2 collection is very unique, and the thorough research and personal stories associated with each item made this a very special experience. We spent an hour in the museum and my son never lost interest. In fact, he engaged in continual dialogue with the owner. The owner is very knowledgeable, a great story-teller, and passionate about WW2. He also allowed my son to hold a German machine gun used during the war. It was a great experience. We also enjoyed a great burger and milkshake at their coffeeshop after the tour. The whole museum/coffeeshop is a fascinating place.

Visited September 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“Don't miss: soldiers memorial museum Hermanus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Last April a friend took me for a visit at the museum and my, did I have a great time!
The museum has a stunning collection of mostly German memorable that come to life with the detailed explanations and colorful stories from Jacques the owner. The personal guided tour makes it even more interesting: Jacques will capture your attention with his passion and profound knowledge of WWII and I am sure my kids would have loved it. For me this was certainly a highlight of my visit to Hermanus. I highly recommend everyone to go and have a look, it is a magnificent piece of history not to be missed.

Visited April 2013