“Unbelievable luxury”
Review of Birkenhead House

Birkenhead House
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 28 July 2011

If I were to spend time thinking about it I would have to say that this is the most luxurious place we have ever stayed. It wasn't any one thing in particular, but it was the whole package-staff, surroundings, spa services, on and on. Everything was included-they even did our laundry (at no additional charge). I REALLY want to return to Birkenhead and will try their other properties if/when we return to South Africa. It was a truly special hotel!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
TheRoyalPortfolio, Owner at Birkenhead House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Thank you so much for your positive comments about Birkenhead House titled 'Unbelievable luxury'.

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us in Hermanus, South Africa. The month you visited of February is absolutely lovely and continues to be so into March and April.

Birkenhead House is quite different from our other two properties of; La Residence and Royal Malewane but offers the exact same attention to detail and service philosophy. The luxurious comfort experienced is a characteristic of the Royal Portfolio properties and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,
The Birkenhead House Team,
The Royal Portfolio

Hermanus,
South Africa

There are newer reviews for Birkenhead House

Reviewed 5 June 2011

WOW! Words really can't describe just how magical and perfect this place is. The service is outstanding and although it is pricey the all inclusive element of it is amazing and they really encourage you to drink and eat as much as you can... Sipping endless rose by the pool with the most stunning views is unbeatable. We absolutely loved it and still talk about it as one of the best nights we have ever had and it really is one of the nicest places I think we will ever stay. You simply have to stay here!

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Excellent polished operation, truly first class. Food was excellent as was the service and accommodation. We also tried their sister property at La Residence which was as professionally run as this property.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Even if you have zero interest in whales or whale-watching, you absolutely have to spend a couple of nights at Birkenhead House in Hermanus if you make a trip to South Africa. Our two nights here were two of the most relaxing nights I have ever had (well, actually, everyplace in South Africa felt relaxing!).

Upon arrival, we were greeted by some staff members, clad in all white, and given flutes of champagne. It felt like you were entering into a spa because the colors are mostly neutral and soothing, the waves from the ocean were audible and light music was playing in the background. Immediately, we were put at ease. After being given a brief tour of the grounds, we sat down on the terrace for lunch. Being right on the edge of a cliff made you feel like you were having a movie-like experience.

Since I brought up lunch, I will describe the food. WOW! I literally took pictures of every meal I had here. Each meal was incredibly delicious and memorable, and I love the fact that the chef came out to describe the menu beforehand. It really personalized the experience. Perhaps as a nod to their location, each meal seemed to have a decidedly beachy feel to it. And by that, I mean that everything felt very light and fresh, yet still very filling. As mentioned above, our first meal was on the terrace directly overlooking the ocean, and it was a magical experience, especially being able to see whales right from your chair! However, they have several different areas where they set up dining. Given the strong winds, dinners are typically held inside in the main dining room. We also had lunch in the main courtyard next to the cascading pool.

Service is attentive, not at all intrusive. As with the team at La Residence, the team here seems quite intuitive and really responsive to your needs without feeling like they are hovering. In fact, they were all such amazing people, you really look forward to seeing them and talking to them each day. We were always welcomed with a bright smile, and it never felt forced. It was like they were genuinely happy to see you, and that type of enthusiasm is infectious. Also, going further with the spa-like theme, it was neat seeing everyone in all white during the day and then transform into a chic all-black wardrobe for the evenings. Our waiter, Marius, was outstanding. He was never without a smile on his face and always had a good joke to keep the enthusiasm flowing. I also loved that he would make really great suggestions. For example, for our second dinner, he suggested we take a coffee in the main lounge after our dessert, which was a fantastic idea. The fire was roaring, the waves were crashing outside...it was a really nice storybook way to end the meal.

The rooms...oh, the rooms! We stayed in Rooms 2 and 3, so my mother and I had a bit different experiences. Her room was on the ground level and had a majestic view to the ocean from both her bed and bathroom. Mine was on the top level and had two balconies overlooking the beach and the ocean. A more incredible view could not be found. I loved leaving the sliding doors open and hearing the waves. If only Malibu could capture this level of peacefulness and beauty! As with the rooms at La Residence, Liz Biden has expertly and tastefully selected an ecclectic mixture of fabrics and furniture to turn these rooms into elegant, yet beachy hideaways. I loved retreating to the comfort of my room and watching the whales from my bedroom. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the bathrooms were both very elegant and sumptuous. You could not ask for a better experience! In my opinion, the rooms at the front of the house offer better views, so if you have the option, I would suggest booking one of those! However, we did peek into some of the other rooms that were vacant at the time, and each of them is exquisite and decorated in its own unique style.

The common spaces in the hotel are also worthy to note. I feel that the pictures online simply do not do this place justice. To put things in perspective, when downloading all of my pictures and movies afterwards, the ones from Birkenhead House comprised about one-third of them, despite the fact we were only here a couple of nights. The main lounge area is full of stark-white sofas that welcome you after a walk on the beach, with artwork and sculptures to capture your eyes' attention. Everything feels very open and fresh. During the day, it was also fun to just take a moment to lay out on the loungers on the terrace over the cliff and soak in the sun. The infinity pool was also a nice distraction when the temperatures heated up.

As with everyplace I stayed in South Africa, I cannot wait to return back to Birkenhead House. As we departed, some of the team members waved us goodbye, and it felt like you were leaving friends. This place is the true 5-star experience, without any of the stuffiness you might expect. You will feel right at home and be hard-pressed to leave.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 11 January 2011

A wonderful experience. Absolutely beautiful. Wish we could go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Truly amazing. We had a wonderful time and did not want to leave.
The place is absolutey wonderful and invites to daily walks along the beach and coastline. The simple swedish back-massage I had was probably the best I ever had in my life. Staff is very friendly and helpful (with the only criticism of some of them being slightly 'too much').
Very recommandable!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Wow. I wish there was one word I could use to discribe this hotel, but none would do it justice. I was lucky enough to stay at the Birkenhead House Villa in early December on business. Although for only 2 short nights, we had an amazing stay. The rooms are beautiful. All decorated slightly differently. Bathrooms were huge! The common area of the indoor/outdoor lounge was relaxing as well. There was a pool for just Villa guests also.

The staff are truly gems. They go above and beyond for everything. Their attention to detail is impecable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business