Having recently stayed at Royal Malewane we were expecting Birkenhead to be equally spectacular as it has the same owners. Althought the terraced area at the back of the hotel does have a spectacular view the rest of the hotel looks out over a charmless suburb and is so close to the other buildings that you have to keep many of the shutters closed in the rooms for privacy.
There is no air conditioning, the rooms are on the small side and are decorated in a random and somewhat dated fashion. The food is ok but the menu is fixed and did not change during our stay which made the dining experience quite repetitive. Given the fact that the hotel was so small one felt on top of other guests and it could be a chore to find a comfortable place to sit outside overlooking the water.
On the plus side, the view from the terrace is gorgeous and the Staff does make a huge effort. They set up tables on the terrace for breakfast and are extremely accomodating about special requests. There are fabulous beach walks and a nearby nature reserve where you can go hiking. If one wants to visit Hermanus then this is probably the place to stay but with hindsight we might have skipped this stop altogether as we didn't find the town charming and the beaches although beautiful were quite crowded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on the Hermanus cliffs, the regal Birkenhead House overlooks the whale watching paradise of Walker Bay. Accommodating guests in the utmost luxury, this is the perfect destination for those seeking the pinnacle of seaside living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, South African Hotels, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Birkenhead House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Birkenhead House & Villa Hotel Hermanus
- Birkenhead House And Villa