This is an hotel converted out of three properties into a most enchanting property. it is quaint and quirky in some ways, and yet very elegant and modern in others! The view out across Walker Bay, where the whales come so close inshore that they are just the other side of the breakers, is unbeatable!
The waves literally break against the foot of the cliff mere feet away the other side of the Cliff Path!
As I said in the title we could actually stand in our room and see the whales just off-shore!
The staff? They are sorting things out almost before you realise that there's something you want! They are by far the best aspect of this hotel! NOTHING is too much trouble.
The only thing that disappointed me was the very small range of dishes in the offered menus.
When we first arrived we were introduced to 'the chef' - the only time we actually met him - and he asked if we had any dietary preferences. My wife said she cannot eat seafood and I said that I adore fish! He said that there'd be plenty of fish dishes offered for my preferences and plenty of non-fish dishes for my wife to choose from. In fact there was only about one fish dish offered per meal and equally little to tempt my wife's palate.
Whilst there I discovered that the car hire company had given me the Rental Agreement for a totally different car to that which they'd issued me. Potentially this could have caused lots of trouble if I'd been stopped by the Police for any reason.
I ask the lady on Reception if I could phone the car hire company. Instead she spent ages talking to them on my behalf, trying to convince them that the fact that 'everything was correct' on their computer was of no help whatever if I was stopped. In the end she roped in the company that had arranged our trip and eventually everything was sorted. To that young lady - Raisa - 10 out of 10 for helpfulness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on the Hermanus cliffs, the regal Birkenhead House overlooks the whale watching paradise of Walker Bay. Accommodating guests in the utmost luxury, this is the perfect destination for those seeking the pinnacle of seaside living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers and Odigeo so you can book your Birkenhead House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Birkenhead House & Villa Hotel Hermanus
- Birkenhead House And Villa