We had a lovely stay here. Staff are young, charming and enthusiastic. Hotel is in a gorgeous location which is maximised. Hermanus is a great place for a short break, the whales (still a few around at the beginning of December which was a bonus we didn’t expect) are breathtaking, the cliff walk a super experience and the town just perfect for a stroll with some nice shops.
I offer a slighly different opinion to others however as the hotel is simply too expensive for what it offers. It is a truly good hotel but simply not value for money – IMHO about a third too much. Clearly however people are paying the price, there are return visitors and any opinion is subjective but...
The pools look pretty but are very small so not really worth swimming in, the lounge is a delight but if the hotel is full simply not big enough to give everybody space if they wish, our room had two balconies but one was shared with next door and the dividing trellis offered no privacy and the one at the rear looked into next door’s bathroom and had no appreciable view, dinner was served each night in the same cramped dining room, food had very limited choice and was frankly average with a couple of exceptions, red wine choice was poor (particularly when you consider how cheap SA wine is) and in order to get one they thought would suit us there was a premium to be paid. Oh and a niggle – Molton Brown amenities are lovely but I had the same in my £99 apartment hotel last week – also screwed to the wall. Would suggest something a bit more upmarket and the freedom to use your body lotion where you desire!!
However the location, the views, the decor, the charm and the staff would make this a hotel I would return to (if they’ll have me!!) and recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on the Hermanus cliffs, the regal Birkenhead House overlooks the whale watching paradise of Walker Bay. Accommodating guests in the utmost luxury, this is the perfect destination for those seeking the pinnacle of seaside living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Birkenhead House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Birkenhead House & Villa Hotel Hermanus
- Birkenhead House And Villa