“Great lunchtime value”

Ranked #25 of 119 Restaurants in Hermanus
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The only steakhouse in Hermanus situated in the heart of the village on Lemm's Corner / Harbour Square. The Cattle Baron Grill & Bistro aims to be the place for friendship, great food, a relaxed atmosphere and great service. Hand cut steaks and specializing in Chateaubriand fillet, well matured rumps and sirloin are simply the best in town. Ribs and seafood, salads and desserts, great coffee and a delightful wine menu featuring many local greats. All the favourite specialities are made with passion and flair. Try the Stuffed Mushrooms for Starters, tasty deep-fried white buttons filled with a delicate mixture of cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley and sherry and served with our unique tartar sauce. For a healthy option, have the Beetroot and Butternut Salad, a delicious mix of grilled beetroot, roasted butternut, feta cheese, rocket and toasted onions. For mains, try the Grilled Sole, brushed with a choice of lemon or garlic butter or for meat lovers, have the Bar-B-Que Spare Ribs - pork loin ribs flame-grilled with our famous BBQ rib basting (500g or 1kg) or the Chateaubriand - fillet flambéed with brandy and served with mushroom sauce and Cattle Baron béarnaise sauce. A designated Cafe Bar area is available - sip a local draft beer while watching TV. Value for money buffet lunches served on selected days. The perfect place for enjoying an African seaside sunset or dinner. Lots of parking available. Click here to make a reservation.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

finding a place to take 6 'mature' relatives for lunch can be a bit of a chore but not here. We visited the restaurant on Wednesday while the pensioners buffet special was running (two of us not quite pensionable age paid full price). Fantastic food at an amazing price. The Buffet choice wasn't vast but the quality of the 10 or so dishes on offer was great.

The staff were attentive without being overtly intrusive, they were also extremely patient.

If they is a downside to the restaurant it is that you have to go outside and back into the adjacent hotel to go to the loo having asked the waiter for the key to the door which you are given attached to a small piece of white plastic pipe - but this is no reason not to take advantage of this great lunchtime offer

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Gotta say Cattle Baron surely know how to finish a piece of meat. Both my wife & I had fillet but each with different sauces. So tasty. Leaves you licking your lips.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I took my elderly mother there on a pensioner's day (from Wednesday to Friday), where they have a hot buffet for R54 (just over £3). I had a 300gm fillet steak, which was very reasonably priced, and very good. Inside and outside seating, it is a friendly restaurant with a lot of choice. Will go back there again when I next visit.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

The food, steak for me and my wife, was good. Thw bernaise sauce was really good. The aircond was not working well, so was really hot inside.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I ordered a rare rump which was as tender as shoe leather. Naturally Tembo, my waiter asked how I was enjoying my meal, and I advised him of my problem. He reported to the chef who helpfully observed that a rare rump is always going to be tough. Only at The Cattle Baron I think !
For a restaurant specialising in steaks could do better would be my verdict.