“Fabulous views matched fabulous food!”

The Restaurant at Newton Johnson
Ranked #31 of 111 Restaurants in Hermanus
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, View, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Restaurant at Newton Johnson is an artisanal restaurant. We pride ourselves in sourcing great ingredients that stand out above the rest. Nose to tail and root to seed cooking is at the forefront of our cuisine.
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous views matched fabulous food!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had visited this establishment previously under two different managements.Changes had been made to the restaurant itself to make it bigger which was good to see. The view is awesome and we were just as impressed with our meal. Yes, perhaps for the locals it is a little on the expensive side, but it is very special. I had the cod which was stunning to look at as well as eat and my husband (I can't remember what he had) said his was superb. Very friendly and attentive service without being overbearing. A lovely treat!

• Visited March 2014

“"Sunday lunch with friends"”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had lunch at this restaurant a week ago ,April 2014. What a fabulous view! The venue had a good vibe ,our waitress was very friendly and the service was good.The food was enjoyable and the afternoon was enjoyed by all!The wine was devine!

• Visited April 2014
Durban, South Africa
“Cheers to the best”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is part of review that appeared in The Mercury, in Durban, on December 15, 2013

When in the Cape recently I made a point of trying some of their better establishments – if only to see how “big brother” – their view, not mine – compares.
Well Marion and I enjoyed a truly superb lunch at The Restaurant at Newton Johnson, a wine estate high up in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley outside Hermanus, noted for its first class pinot noirs. Their flagship has scooped gold for five years in a row. Even a pinot noir doubter like myself was impressed. Although the minerally sauvignon blanc also got my vote.
And things are cooking in the kitchen too with the arrival of Eric Bulpitt, of Round House fame, in the kitchen.
The restaurant too has the most fantastic setting, with sweeping views of the vineyards all the way to the sea. It’s a breath-taking view, almost operatic in its scope.
The menu is a simple affair, a choice of three starters, four mains and four desserts. It’s a simple R220 for two courses or R285 for three.
We were tempted by the pea voloute with patty pans, radish and bulrush; or the slow braised beef tongue with pickled onions and carrots, whole grain mustard and carrot puree, but decided to go the two course route.
Marion opted for the Overberg lamb loin with celeriac pickled and pureed, brule onions and watercress. The loin and hearty chop perfectly cooked, the two different takes on celeriac an inspired accompaniment. I looked at the yellow tail smoked potato, baby marrow, green beans and fish nage, but my pork belly with roasted cauliflower, Granny Smith apples and lemon was another inspiration. It made me wish I’d tried the pea volute for a starter.
Puds might have included pannacotta with passion fruit, honeycomb and lavender; or guava sorbet with sage flowers, lime gel and rooibos tea. My Eton mess was a real designer affair with little dollops of crème Chantilly and coconut sorbet and baby meringues floating elegantly on a deep berry compote.
But what got us gasping was Marion’s cheeseboard. Three local cheese – an aged gruyere, a goats cheese roulade and a ripe camembert with three different preserves and a fruit and nut biscotti like toast. I too climbed in here.
Excellent cooking, probably the highlight of my culinary year, the estate offers good service, top notch cooking and excellent value.

Address: 320 Hemel-En-Aarde Road, Hermanus
Tel: 021 200 2148
Open: Monday to Sunday lunch. Friday to Saturday dinner

• Visited December 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Fine food and experience”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My wife and I and two Canadian friends had lunch at the Restaurant on 30 March. We had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch - the food, the greeting and service were all excellent. After a Cap Classique to start, we chose a Newton Johnson Mrs M Pinot Noir and really enjoyed it. The weather cleared up so that we could enjoy the view. We were not rushed and our friends left mightily impressed. We had had lunch with them the previous Sunday at La Colombe (long a favourite) and we all concluded that The Restaurant was of comparable quality. In fact for me, the Restaurant meal was a better experience.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank 63Bella63
Hermanus, South Africa
“should try a little less!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

On paper this place looks to be a real treat and find but I found the truth to be a great disappointment.
The location is stunning with a sensational view toward the sea from an unspoilt elevated neatly kept vineyard .
The home produced wine is just lovely but the food offering is simply overdone.
on paper the menu reads a little complicated and the respective elements of the food are fine but the chef is trying to seek too much I was left confused and disappointed.
The front of house staff are too attentive if such a thing is possible, whist eating and drinking we should be allowed to get on with it not for ever being interrupted by less than fully informed waiting personnel .
I visited this place a couple of years ago at which time the effect was fabulous ,a rewind is called for in my view!

Visited January 2014