“This is what hospitality is about!”

Windsor Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Windsor Hotel has always felt like a home away from home. We always feel welcome, treated with respect, a friendly smile and curtious attitude with every stay. They are busy with some refurbishment, which may still take some time, but as with all good things... these take time and based on what we've seen so far, we look forward to the final result. I will definitely recommend the Windsor Hotel for a great, value for money break away.

Room Tip: Sea facing is best for a view and mountain facing for some sun in winter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RaineReed
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear RaineReed,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. What more can we say?

It is always a pleasure to have you stay with us. We aim to deliver our very best and you have captured the essence of what we strive to achieve.

Thank you and looking forward to you seeing you again.

Blake Albert and Team

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Spent Easter weekend here as we had left it too late to book anywhere else. Hotel is old but appears to be having revamp done. Had a sea-facing room, room had plenty of space and had small sitting area which opened onto balcony overlooking Indian Ocean. Unfortunately furniture was old and broken and bed was extremely uncomfortable. Breakfast was ample but no lunches or dinner is served although you can order take aways and eat in breakfast area. Hotel has no licence.
There was plenty for kids to do as the weather was bad and a DSTV sitting area as no DSTV in rooms.
Hotel has potential but badly needs upgrading. Rooms were clean. Excellent location.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms that have been refurbished
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear SMurphy,

Thank you so much for your review. On the whole, we found it to be positive and in some parts constructive. I must point out, that there are a few inaccuracies. The Hotel faces the Atlantic Ocean and NOT the Indian Ocean. The Hotel has also had a liqour license since the early 1900's. (In fact, we have a little bar located next to Reception.)

We note that you make reference to our hospitality and making sure that families are well looked after and entertained. This is one of our specialties. We also note that you make reference and bear wittness to our ongoing renovations. (this is also an urgent project to us)

Our philosophy at the Windsor Hotel is "Stay at the Windsor, experience Hermanus". By this we mean that we want to provide affordable accommodation for everyone. They must use the Windsor Hotel as their base and then experience the beautiful outdoors and other activities that Hermanus has to offer.

The most immediate problem to me is your "sleep - quality". I only wish that you had reported this issue to us immediatly. That way, we could have made you stay far more comfortable.

Please can you contact me at blake@windsorhotel.co.za. I would like to have more information in order to fix this issue accordingly.

Thank you.
Blake Albert and Team

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Had a nice stay at the Windsor Hotel. Would strongly recommend an ocean view -- we loved it. Our room had a walk-out deck too which was an added bonus. Breakfast was great too.

Room Tip: Go with the ocean view
1  Thank Toronto1975
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Toronto1975,
Thank you for making the Windsor Hotel part of your trip to South Africa. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us!
When in South Africa again, please stop by, even if just to say hello.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

The Windsor Hotel is, as the name implies, very much like a British hotel. Unfortunately it's very much what a British hotel would have been like in the 1970s and 80s! It is very reminscent of hotel stays I had as a child, with the big hotel keys and the slightly snotty atmosphere. The location is great, within easy walking distance from the centre of Hermanus, and it is directly on the seafront which means you get great views of the sea, the sunset, and those whales you hear so much about. You will have to pay quite a bit extra for a sea-view room, though.

We liked the common areas at the front of the hotel, which have comfy seating and great big windows to watch the action from. However once you get into the corridors upstairs and the room itself, it does look very dated. The rooms are quite small, too. Everything was clean and everything worked, which is the main thing, but whatever refurbishments may be taking place according to the management, they certainly were not evident from my room (and the little discreet snooping I did into other rooms, as the doors were left open on the empty rooms.)

I would feel happier recommending the place if I felt the price reflected the quality, but it didn't really. We went out of whale watching season, and yet a non-sea view room was over R1000, a sea view room about R1300. That would be quite a lot of money in Britain, never mind South Africa, for this standard of room. There is no way it is worth it. However I have to say the Marine Hotel (admittedly 5 star luxury) wanted R4000 plus - so maybe Hermanus is just an expensive place to stay.

Plus points, apart from location, are that they have a big car park round the back, and breakfast seemed fine. But unless you are big on the whole "retro" thing and fancy a trip back to the 80s, I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are obviously better - but you have to pay for the privilege.
1  Thank sfuhere
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear SFUHERE,
Thank you for staying at the Windsor Hotel and your comments.
The Windsor Hotel has been in existence for 116 years. We thank you for your comments in regards to us being clean, comfortable and in working order.
The Windsor Hotel aims to be the solid base on which a holiday of remembrance can be build. We do not and will never aspire to be a trendy, flash in the pan Hotel. I wish you had asked me or anyone of my staff members to show you our refurbishments and get some of your comments (a person sneaking around other rooms in a Hotel is never a good thing). We would have done this gladly.
As far as the price is concerned, it is a great shame that market forces dictate certain prices. We are always committed to providing the best possible price.
Should you ever visit Hermanus again, please feel free to contact me (blake@windsorhotel.co.za). I would love to host you and get some more constructive feedback from you as I believe that you are an experienced reviewer.
Blake Albert

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel is very well located right on Marine Drive overlooking the ocean. Thats about all it has to recommend it unfortunately. The decor is desparately in need of substantial revamp and appears dingy and in parts even dirty ( eg carpets). The breakfast is fairly poor quality. For the price its expensive and its worth looking at other alternatives very nearby which offer much better quality accommodation with comparable views at very little extra cost. This is sad because the Windsor certainly has potential but needs investment to fulifill this.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there a room on the front overlooking the ocean would be prefereable I suppose.
1  Thank NMTraveller
windsormanagement_11, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear NMTraveller,
Thank you for staying at the Windsor Hotel and your comments. We always welcome constructive criticism and although there are some interesting points, I am somewhat confused at most of your comments and your factual inaccuracies.
I invite you to email me directly (blake@windsorhotel.co.za) with your price comparison as far as alternative accommodations concerned.
I would also ask that you furnish me with a bit more detail as far as your breakfast experience was concerned. I always believe that active conversation is far more constructive than static criticism.
TripAdvisor comments are extremely important; one would hope that before you set your comments in stone, you pay more attention.
Blake Albert

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We , my wife and I are also in the Hospitality Industry in Montagu at The Victorian Hotel,
we wanted a short break just to recharge our batteries, so I phone The Windsor Hotel.
It was absolutely bliss, from the current owner , the General Manager , Reservations ladies, the Breakfast staff, Housekeeping ladies, ect. Just one word great , Thank you folks
we Bonnie and I enjoyed it with you. ERNEST AND BONNIE

Room Tip: The swimming Pool was the ocean , its great man
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
windsormanagement_11, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear Ernest and Bonnie,
Thank you for staying with us! We enjoyed having you and we are delighted to hear that you had a good time with us. Nothing compares to going away for a few days and recharging your batteries!
All the best,

Reviewed 10 January 2012

Anyone who critizes the Windsor Hotel for being "old" should go stay in a Holiday Inn Express! This property dates back to the late 1800's - the amazing architecture, location and views that can never be repeated in modern times. At the same time, the spaciousness of the interior of this lavish property is totally modernised - although at the same time preserving some of the history and magnificence of years gone by. Large picture windows allow the sun to stream through, and affords the luxury of one of the most beautiful oceanviews in South Africa. Staff was friendly, rooms were modern and clean, bathrooms totally updated - and the breakfast buffet to die for. Pay a little more for an oceanfront room - it will be the best money spent on your vacation. For those who do not appreciate the spaciousness and beauty of history - take a factory hotel - its mostly more expensive and lacks ambiance.

Room Tip: Take an oceanfront room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daytonahotels
windsormanagement_11, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Dear Daytonahotels,
Wow!! Blown us away.
I would like to point out that you did send me a private email in which you gave me some constructive critiscim (which we have acted on), but I would like to thank you for your comments and your responsible behaviour as an international traveller.
I look forward to seeing you back again.