“Very old poorly maintained hotel”

Windsor Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The hotel has a fantastic position, but the bedrooms, linen and finishes are very old and not clean. We had a lovely sea facing room with a balcony, and loved the views of the bay. This hotel could be great if it underwent significant renovations. The standard of the finishes etc does not justify the cost

Room Tip: Look at other boutique hotels or B&B's in Hermanus. It is a beautiful seaside town with gre...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew F
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Andrew F,

I feel had you used Tripadvisor to research your trip to Hermanus you may have chosen to stay elsewhere and not at The Windsor. It is clear our brand of hospitality does not go well with your standards. This is acceptable to me, as the saying goes, 'different strokes for different folks'. I feel that you chose us based on our price and then slammed that in our face so that you could nudge up a Tripadvisor review on the poor side.

Your comments are harsh, unthoughtful and irresponsible. Your comments about our cleanliness and cost are unfounded.Your whimsical comments of "this hotel would be great if it underwent significant changes" is naive in terms of what would that do to the rack rate that we would ask people to pay and it is a comment like that that has got many hotels in the last few years into a lot of financial problems. Tripadvisor is there to help guests find what's right for them, you should've done this.

I welcome constructive criticism but if you were not entirely happy on arrival, you could have requested to move to another hotel which my staff and I would have done gladly. We would rather have happy guests who love what we do, as opposed to unhappy guests that would rather be somewhere else. It is such a shame that you did not get to enjoy our beautiful Hermanus as much as you could have.

I beg you Andrew F to research your next trip to wherever it is that you may decide to go, before you write your reviews on places you might not like to have been.

Yours sincerely,

Blake Albert

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Good sized rooms , sea facing , who needs a TV on holiday? older but loaded with character, staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast was filling would def go back in the winter to view the whales but would probably need to book for 2015 as it will undoubtedly be so busy. Travelled as a family with a 3 year old and loved the ambience. Lots of whale info and old art. Okay there may be a cracked tile in the bathroom but it was as functional as was needed. Very reasonable rates and a really good Italian restaurant 5 mins walk up the road.

Room Tip: any sea facing room
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear polsander,

Thank you for your kind words and your fair reflection of The Windsor Hotel. Firstly I must assure you that we still have some space available for the period you talk about, however I must tell you that it is selling out quite fast.
You are quite right about your estimation about us, we're a no 'waffle' hotel. We believe in good old fashion values and we strive to better ourselves and our hotel all the time. I think that you recognize the value of that and I can assure you that we may have one or two cracked tiles now, but in the next few years this hotel will stand proudly amongst the best of them. Not by virtue of price but by virtue of standard and service.
Thanks to guests like you, there will always be a need for hotels such as this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Windsor Hotel.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I absolutely loved the Windsor. Yes it's an older hotel and the furnishings are a little dated, but it all adds to the charm. The location is not only breath taking - you eat breakfast overlooking waves crashing against the rocks and in whale season you can practically touch the gentle giants - but it's so central you can walk everywhere. Yes the décor could be upgraded a little but as is, the hotel itself reminds me of days gone by, particularly the outstanding service. The staff on Reception were professional and attentive and nothing was too much trouble. I arrived hot and bothered with loads of cheeses from Stanford to find my room didn't have a fridge. "No problem" the staff on reception said before I could protest, and within 5 minutes they produced one. The breakfasts are good with plenty variety and there is always someone close by to clear your dishes or offer assistance. I also appreciated the personal touch of themed whale chocolates and handmade biscuits in the room. The main lobby's black and white checked floors add to the hotel's ambience and the outdoor courtyard with water feature, where guests can sit in the shade under the trees, is a treat in summer. If you balance all of this against the soullessness of the more tastefully decorated hotel chains in the same price range that cater to the masses, I'd prefer to stick with the Windsor :-) I'll be back in Whale season but this time I want a room with a sea view so I can absorb the experience through every pore! My only quibble was that there isn't enough parking at the back of the hotel if you go out at night and I had to park in the street twice.

Room Tip: Although they don't have a sea view, the rooms in a separate complex behind the main building ar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KarenfromCT

Dear KarenfromCT,

Wow! Thank you for your awesome comments. We love being the antidote to the cold soulless corporate hotels. It really turns us on when our guests understand and enjoy that. Yes we're not perfect, yet we strive for perfection in the real way which is through great service and slowly improving our hotel all the time.

We don't have the resources that the corporates do so we have to do it in a gradual step by step way and guests like you make us realize that it's worth it.
It must be pointed out that during your time of stay we had a very well known sports team staying with us and that each room had two cars allocated to it, which is why our car park was quite full. This does not happen often so parking is normally adequate. However it must be pointed out that street parking in Hermanus is still quite safe. We thoroughly look forward to welcoming you back during Whale Festival, but we must advise you to book soon as space is filling up fast.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The board out side says it all - "room with a view" (if you get a sea facing room)
The hotel is old and requires some refurbishments, but it is imperative to keep the old charme.

Replacing the original wood by aluminum, doesn't bring any benefit to it.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms please ....
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Luis P,

Thank you for your straight forward, no nonsense approach.

We have embarked on a process of refurbishment throughout the hotel, this requires a great deal of planning and is a painstaking process for the reasons that you have already outlined in terms of we will not lose the appeal of our age and we will not compromise on retaining the charm of The Windsor Hotel. This obviously means there is no quick fix to our solution, but I must tell you we are well on our way to achieving our goal so I'm extremely confident that you will be pleasantly surprised on your future visits at The Windsor Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We could only get a carpark view for day one which was expensive and drab and stuffy. Hotel needs huge modernisation. No Satellite tv in rooms, but staff were very helpful. We upgraded to a sea view room for two nights which changed the whole ambience. Stunning sea view of course bright and breezy atmosphere. Morris on reception was excellent in finding us this room as one of the others had a view of the sea and the corrugated roof (not very inviting). If the owner spent something on the decor this could be one of the best, but it is ruined by the dull, lacklustre interior. Breakfast was not bad, but not on a par with Pelagus or Rochester Manor (also in Hermanus).

Room Tip: Only choose sea view (ask to see it first too) or go to Pelagus up the road.........or Rochester Man...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear susietoo_17,

Thank you very much for taking your time for writing your comments on Tripadvisor, more importantly thank you for voicing some of your concerns at the hotel while you were here. This allowed my staff to rectify your concerns and allow you to still enjoy your stay in Hermanus.

It must be pointed out that sometimes we're not 'everybody's cup of tea', but if we know that we will do everything we possibly can to keep our guests happy, Even if that means sometimes losing them to other finer establishments in Hermanus. I appreciate your words of advice as far as Rochester Manor and Pelagus are concerned, as already stated both finer establishments and we all agree that there are different strokes for different folks.

I've noted some of your comments, particularly about our non sea-facing rooms and breakfast and will bring them up with my management team in a way to find solutions.

I must thank you for your comment about Morris. It is always good to get some positive feedback about our wonderful staff. Morris, myself and the rest of The Windsor Team look forward to welcoming you back to our always improving Windsor Hotel.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Such a stunning setting in Hermanus, pity that the hotel could do with an upgrade. Rooms are drab, huge multiplug unit but it didn't work. Breakfast buffet was cold and tasteless - cold water in the bain marie??

Room Tip: Perhaps it would be better if you have a sea facing room??
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 939Janine,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review on Tripadvisor, we appreciate your feedback. However it must be pointed out that at the time of your stay our suburb of Hermanus went through two major power shortages, this played a bit of havoc with our equipment and I feel that you may have experienced the worst of this so please accept my sincere apologies for this experience.

If you would care to contact me personally on my e-mail (blake@windsorhotel.co.za) I would like to find a way to compensate you for this experience.

My only wish is that you told us about the multi-plug while you were here, we could've fixed that for you immediately.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

the hotel is perfectly situated.Price was good.It is an older hotelStaff are very friendly and helpful.Breakfast was really good.Views from hotel is breathtaking.
It could do with some upgrading.Rooms and furniture are old.The place has an older look, as it is one of the oldest hotels.
We have a great time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear ABAAJacobs,

Thank you for taking the time out to writing about your experiences at The Windsor Hotel, we really appreciate your feedback and can improve on some of those.

As you have stated we are the oldest hotel in Hermanus and at 118 years old we are among one of the oldest hotels still operational in the whole of South Africa.

I'm sure you can appreciate that sometimes things take a little longer to upgrade in a hotel such as this, but that is not an excuse and we are working on several ways to pick up the pace of rejuvenating our grand old lady.

Thanks to guests like you, this is a reality.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Windsor Hotel.