“Shockingly shoddy - no value for money”

Windsor Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This Hotel relies on a sea view to generate business. Were it not for the view, this hotel would easily qualify for the worst possible establishment I have ever stayed in. Certainly in no way a 3 star hotel. More like a 1 star. Don't be fooled by view, the rooms are pokey, with poor ventilation, 1960's finishes, moth eaten blankets (blankets!!!) and PVC curtains. No air conditioning, very crappy bathrooms. Value is about $ 10 / night. If you pay more, you are overpaying! Breakfast serves stale cereals and soggy bacon, and dispensed coffee. The boiled eggs are OK though, as who screws up a boiled egg? I fired my travel agent for booking me into this Hotel!!
The room we were staying in was at a premium as it faced the ocean. However, a large tour bus parked in front of the Hotel, completely obscuring the view!!
This place is run by unintelligent people. A small spend on the rooms would improve comfort by 500% and they can easily charge a bit more then. It's not cheap, as every dollar above 10 is OVERPAYING! Stay away!

Room Tip: No good rooms here! Move on!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vicking22
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear viking22,

Your attack is very personal and a little suspicious. Having gone through two hundred and seventy guest comment cards (Dating from 1 February 2014 until this morning, 19 March 2014) and having read previous Tripadvisors and other review platforms I cannot find any comment similar to yours or that you yourself may have made if you were here.

How do I deal with somebody who writes three reviews all in the same geographical area on the same day and has no prior Tripadvisor history, claims to have travelled the world and has only written one hotel review ever? Then I must compare that to the reviewer before you who has written 86 reviews, has travelled 18% of the world and gives us comments that are constructive.

Whenever a travel agent has an issue with a hotel and an unhappy guest they contact the hotel immediately. I am surprised that I have not heard from any travel agent in the last 30 days in any form of a complaint similar to this and as The Windsor Hotel deals with over 300 agents worldwide this is an unusual situation.

Viking22 my advise is should you like to contact me personally on this issue I would be more than willing to have an intelligent conversation about the issues you have raised. My e-mail address is gm@windsorhotel.co.za.

Blake

There are newer reviews for Windsor Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Totally agree with previous viewer 2travelislife2me- it's a good basic hotel with excellent service and tasty breakfast
Walking distance to the centre of Hermanus, nice sea view from your balcony, free parking- what else do you want from short break hotel?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear mal2703,

That's it! Short and sweet to the point, that's exactly what we aim for.

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us as thoroughly look forward to welcoming you back.

All we can say is we plan to improve even on this experience of yours and hopefully turn your short stay into a long stay.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have just returned after a quick visit to Hermanus in the Western Cape. I decided not to stay at a B&B or Guest Lodge, but to rather try a local hotel. As the Windsor Hotel seemed to be acceptable, and not too expensive, I decided to stay there.

When making the reservation on the Internet, I specifically asked for a sea facing room. Well, I was definitely not disappointed! I had a magnificent view of the ocean, with only a narrow street between my room and the sea on the other side of the road! The staff members were all very friendly, and I was quickly settled into my room.

On the positive side - the hotel has a lovely back garden (even though small), with huge trees under which there are numerous tables and chairs where one could just sit and relax, or read, etc. My room had absolutely no damp smell, which was very good. The rooms are very basic, but OK for a short stay. I enjoyed the tea and coffee making facilities in the room (but did miss having a small refridgerator). The breakfast, which was included in the R800 per night, was outstanding! Eggs to order, etc., etc. The location of the hotel is really excellent, and one can walk across the road to go and sit at tables with chairs, to just enjoy the view. I can imagine whale watching could be done from here when the whales are in.

On the negative side - the linen should perhaps be replaced, as it is no longer crisp and white. There is no DSTV in the rooms - only SABC channels, which are normally really not to my taste. One has to go to a central room to watch DSTV, which I would never do in any event, but should one go, who would decide what to watch - first come? BIG no-no for me! The safe in my room was not working, and I was eventually given a master key with which to operate the safe. The door latch was also not working, but that was rectified very quickly. They should think about getting the carpets steam cleaned again. It possibly needs this after the usually busy Christmas holiday season. I was also disappointed that there was no exercise equipment to use. I was also surprised that there was no air conditioning, or even a fan. Hermanus can be very hot in summer, and at least a fan is necessary.

All in all - I would probably stay here again if on a short stay trip.

Room Tip: Not even a question! Must be sea facing!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 2travelislife2me

Dear 2travelislife2me,

Thanks for your positive comments, it's always good to get this kind of feedback and thank you so much for, not so much your negative comments, but your pointers as to how we can improve our guest experience. Some of your observations such as the carpet cleaning is already part of our cleaning and maintenance schedule and, as you have rightly indicated, this normally happens after a really busy season. The next one is scheduled for just after April.

Other comments you have made such as the DSTV has been an ongoing issue in terms of installation and affordability, but we are pleased to announce that we believe DSTV will be available in the individual rooms in or around spring 2014. And there are other comments that you have mentioned that we have already started working on such as fans in every room.

I was particularly upset to read about your safe and your door latch and have taken that issue up with my maintenance department and I can assure you that this should never happen again.

I really value your comments and I really hope that you will return to The Windsor in the near future so that we can demonstrate our sincerity when we say we are going to improve and you can judge that for yourself.

Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

What a fabulous breakfast our family had on Sunday morning at the Windsor Hotel. Having been at the Arabella hotel 3 weeks previously we were surprised and delighted that for far less than half the price, Windsor's range of offerings, although fewer, were well-varied and with everything oven-fresh fresh and delicious. Lovely buttery and flaky croissants, fresh muffins, textured artisanal-style bread, flapjacks with maple syrup and bacon (properly cooked) and the full eggs range prepared by the extremely competent staff were my favourites. But the fresh fruit platters and comprehensive cheese choices were regularly replenished which makes a nice change and my husband pronounced the beef and pork sausages delicious. Kudos to the hotel and friendly staff for producing a really excellent breakfast at a price low enough to warrant regular family visits. Oh - and the sea view from the dining room helps too!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear scubafan09,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Windsor Hotel. Your comments are most gracious and flattering. We're ever so humbled and thank you for that.

We will continue to strive to better even this high praise and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

perfect location - 50 metres near the amazing ocean, and nearthe center, restourants, shops and supermarket. comfortable room, good servic, good stuff. Also hotel has a big parking place.
take seeview. if not, dont worry, becouse anouther side look on the mountains.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear cesser,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and we thoroughly look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Theconly positive thing I can say is that the hotel is located on the seafront with spectacular vewsacross the bay. Check in was chaotic Reception staff were rude and unhelpful. Rooms seemed to have last been refurbished in the sixties. Grubby decor and lumpy beds added to my discomfort.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GOINGTOURING
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear GOINGTOURING,

I am extremely disturbed over your comments about our reception staff being "rude and unhelpful" and assure you that I will investigate this accusation thoroughly.

If you could please contact me via my e-mail (blake@windsorhotel.co.za) as to what room number and date of check in you had. Your comment about the " lumpy beds" is also disturbing to me as we have purchased new mattresses not less than 18 months ago.

I cannot defend that we are a slightly older looking hotel. However I do feel your rating of 1 is extremely harsh.

Therefor I encourage you to visit us again sometime in the future so as to see how we learn and evolve into a fine establishment that would accommodate your needs.

Blake and the Windsor Team

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect. It is directly overlooking the rocky coastal path and sea beyond. Perfect all year but it must be even more magical in the whale watching season. The downstairs of the hotel is full of character and the breakfast was good. The wine and refreshment prices were very good. The coastal path can be walked directly from the hotel door and is a wonderful experience. The hotel offers free of charge parking at the rear. Staff were helpful and polite but this is a hotel and not a bed and breakfast so we did miss that friendly, chatty welcome which we had received at the first hotel and found that information was not offered but had to be sought out. There is no lift so, whilst the best rooms for the views are on the second floor, you must be able to cope with the stairs several times a day. The rooms are rather like one of the basic hotel chains in style. They lacked any character and were sparse, no hair dryer, basic bathrooms and furnishings but adequate and clean Breakfast was buffet style but eggs and omelettes were cooked to order and so were lovely and fresh. There was a good selection of fresh fruit and cold meats, cheese etc. as well as bacon, sausages, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, etc. This is a good hotel which could be a fabulous hotel with a little investment and restyling, the rooms are in need of a little tlc and character. If returning to Hermanus we would probably go to this hotel again just for its location and value for money

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms definitely worth the extra
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear aplpdf22,

Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel. Your comments are kind, honest and also thought provoking. We at The Windsor have already taken a few pointers from your review and are currently working on them. Just as an indication of that I would like to inform you that we have appointed a front office manager who is readily available to guests and has an extensive knowledge of the area and has a great ability of training the rest of our front office staff on these issues. We are very excited about that.

Your honest appraisal of the rooms is the next area we are working on. My staff and I commit ourselves to a never ending process of improving our product here at The Windsor and thanks to reviews such as this we know exactly what our priorities should be.

I particularly like your comments about the cliff path which is one of the unique sales features of the area as it best show cases everything Hermanus is special for. From the Fauna and Flora to the marine life. The 8.7km of the cliff path walk have some of the most beautiful views you can ever hope to see and during whale season (June - December) it is truly a bucket list event to walk along the cliff path while viewing these giants of the sea and at some point they are less than 10 meters away from you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Windsor and showing you some of the improvements we have already made and are still going to make before your next return.