“A absolutely wonderful getaway”

Blue Gum Country Estate
Ranked #17 of 86 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had a wonderful getaway at Blue Gum. The farm is beautiful and provides for a relaxing stay away from the city. The food was really fantastic!
As Blue Gum is pet friendly we were able to bring our chow chow Lola along, she had the best time of all going on long walks around the estate. The staff really deserve a big mention. The service is what one would expect to find at a large 5 star establishment. Not only was the service great at all times, the staff were warm and friendly and really made us feel at home. I would recommend a stay at Blue Gum to everyone and I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BlueGumCountryEstate, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Frances S

Many thanks for the lovely review - I am thrilled you were able to enjoy yourselves and relax with your furry child able to join you. Blue Gum is fortunate to not only offer a place for a Romantic Couples retreat or a Family Breakaway, but also a Pet-Friendly experience that still caters to the needs of the human :)

As you said to me "There are a lot of pet-friendly places in South Africa - but they tend to focus and the pet and neglect luxury and sophistication." You and Lola are most welcome any time

Regards

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great family run accommodation , food good all rooms interesting and different nothing too much trouble . A really good wedding. Good Bri the day before and great setting . I would recommend the Estate and use it again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Joe

Many thanks for the review - I appreciate the time taken. I am glad you enjoyed your time here and the wedding. I am glad you got to experience a proper South African Braaivleis cooked by a genuine South African! There is nothing quite like it in the world!

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

My fiancè and myself searched for months for a wedding venue. We are originally from JHB. So it was a mission non the less. But I must take my hat of to Anton from Blue Gum. From the minute we arrived, we were looked after like royalty. Drinks were brought to the pool for myself and my groomsmen. While my "now beautiful wife" was treated like an angel. Anton had his staff help set up from start to finish,for our wedding the day before.

We then had the most devine duck main course for our rehearsal dinner and then.....

The full wedding day was A Ma Zing...the food and service was absolutely the the best.... salmon and avo starters, with the best and I really do mean the best fillet steak. Cooked to perfection.

Our wedding day would not of been as PERFECT if not for Anton and his fully capable staff. Our every need was attended to.

Now, as for the accommodation...I have never been treated with such luxury, and my wife and I go away alot.

I hope you have as much fun and splender as we did.

And one last thing...Anton...we will be back in December, and we will be renewing our vows there in the next 10 year. Thanks for the most amazing stay ever.

P.S : Hermanus is one of the best places in Cape Town. Definitely a must see, stay for atleast a full weekend.

P.S.S: Anton - Thank you for helping out with every contact you had and all the help you gave us in the months coming up to the wedding, you were our life saver,especially us been up in JHB.

Thank
Enjoy
Nick Bailey

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Nick

Thank you so much for the lovely review - it was a privilege and an honour for me and my staff to be involved in your and Chantal's special day! It was one of the great perks of running Blue Gum, getting to witness two people joining their lives together and committing to each other! And, at least for the day, you were royalty in our eyes.

I shall pass on the compliments to the chef, I am happy the food met your expectations. Cooking 75 steaks perfectly is no mean feat!

We look forward to welcoming you in December for your anniversary - I shall make sure you are made to feel royal again.

Wishing you both a blessed future together (and many children)

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stopped at Blue Gum for 4 nights at the start of a 2 week long family holiday to South Africa and couldn't have been more pleased with the place. The service was superb, the food and wine equally superb, the rooms very nicely fitted out and the location a cracking place to relax and enjoy the peace. To top it all off Blue Gum also caters in a remarkably considerate way for young families, in that the family facilities are great - e.g. big open play area - but we were able to enjoy the place in such a way as to be of no disturbance to those without families, e.g. by doing early dinner for the children ahead of the main dinner service, and having the family-friendly rooms physically separate from the other areas. I had only dreamed that going on holiday with a 3 year old and a 1 year old could involve relaxation and indulgence but this is what Blue Gum achieves. Would highly recommend to those with families but equally to those without.

Room Tip: For those with young families bag the large room opposite the restaurant, has loads of space, is rig...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Chris

Many thanks for taking the time to review Blue Gum - I am so happy that you were able to have a relaxing time with us (quite a luxury when you have small children). I have 3 children of my own so I know it is rare to be able to feel comfortable and at ease at any establishment (be it accommodation or restaurant) so I am thrilled that Blue gum was able to offer this to you. We are tailoring the lodge to cater to the family market and to provide child specific entertainment and activities as well as meals, whilst still offering the weary parents a luxurious stay. We have another section of the lodge that is just for couples so we are trying to strike a balance.

We hope to be able to accommodate you again the next time you are in South Africa. Until then, safe travels

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This offers an oppertunity to relax and forget aobut the city life. service was excellent as well as breakfast. The gardens are beautiful and well maintained.
The gravel road can be bad if you drive a car. Sufficient to do in the area and on the farm. Nice get away place

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Elaine

Many thanks for the review - I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and were able to relax from the hectic life of the city.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed there for our 1 year anniversary and after a slight checking in problem the correct room was allocated to us and was everything we expected. We really enjoyed the farm feeling (insects and all) because it is great to break away from the city and just enjoy the beauty of our country and nature. The staff was really friendly and the stay great. Will definitely recommend to other couples - especially the honeymoon suite.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fran9_H

Dear Fran9_H

Many thanks for the review, I am glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Apologies for the initial mix-up with the rooms, I do aim for everything to rum smoothly from the time guests check-in until the leave, but due to the nature of where we are situated we do experience the occasional hiccup with geysers, water, electricity, insects etc.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future

Warm Regards

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

The location is stunning, the staff are friendly and the rooms are nicely decorated but the whole place is overrun with millipedes. I don't mean a few, I mean 10s of hundreds! They swarmed the outside doors and made their way into the halls, bedrooms, bathrooms and we're coming up the bath drains.
I couldn't sleep from sheer fear of the vast quantities. My sister, in another room was having nightmares, as it wasn't just our room that had the problem.
We also had a problem with no hot water in the room, rectified by letting us use another rooms facilities. Which turned out to have no taps on the shower!
They were polite and accepting when we refused to pay. It was a real shame that they are so over run with the tiny creepy crawlies because otherwise it's a lovely place full of charm.

Stayed: March 2014
BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear h_Crawford

Many thanks for the review, and my sincere apologies that it was more like a night from a horror movie than a relaxing holiday for you and your sister.

I appreciate that there are positive points to your review, I have passed these on to relevant staff. However, the stay was obviously marred by the millipedes. We affectionately refer to these creatures as "Songololos" in South Africa. They are found all around South Africa (including urban areas) but certainly not normally in the numbers you experienced.

Our policy is to thoroughly clean the rooms before guests check-in as well as when our guests are having dinner. A clean is also done the next morning when the guests are having breakfast (if they stay more than one night). Cleanliness is of out-most importance, so I can guarantee you lack of cleaning was not the cause. All my staff were busy sweeping them away basically 24/7. However, they just kept returning - from where? No-one knows. Today (2 days after you were here) there are very few to be seen. Thus your poor experience was unfortunately down to timing.

We have had a very wet summer and the water table is very high. This, I imagine, may be the cause. We are also on a very rustic piece of farmland. We are certainly not a sterile urban environment, we are very much a part of the nature here. Thus, unfortunately, bugs, creepy crawlies and insects are very much a feature of life that we (and most South Africans) have come to terms with. It is, obviously, a little strange (and scary) for people from a city environment or from another country when they are met with natures creepiest things.

I would like to point out to all that read this review that this is not a normal occurrence (as evidenced by the fact that this is the only review that has mentioned it in 7 years). This was a freak of nature and one that I really had no control over. Obviously it still caused you great discomfort and unease. Your husband did mention to my manager that there was almost a phobia type fear. Thus, I am certainly understanding of your comments.

Once again, accept my sincere apologies - and safe travels. Hopefully they will be bug free

Warm Regards