“Anniversary weekend”

Ranked #12 of 86 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Anniversary weekend”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary at Blue Gum Country Estate. We had a fantastic dinner on our first night there - the food was outstanding. Our room was spacious and comfortable and the staff were warm and very professional. Looking forward to returning one day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Lidia

Thank you for the kind words, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you are able to join us for your 11th Wedding anniversary

Keep well

Anton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beautiful property. Excellent food and well run. Lovely winter retreat. The rooms are well appointed and my kids were exceptionally well catered for. We especially loved the size on the family rooms and the play area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Kim H

Many thanks for the review - I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your time here. It was fantastic to host such a special occasion at the estate.

We hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Heaven on earth, a place to re-charge the batteries and catch up. Extremely well trained and friendly staff and the lodge is owner run who also goes the extra mile. The meals are outstanding and creative.
We will be back sometime.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Richard M

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am so glad you enjoyed yourselves and we do hope to welcome you back very soon!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We enjoyed Bluegum immensely and will definitely return! If you need a break from the hustle of the city... Bluegum Country Estate is for you! Great for a couples and family getaway. It has a great romantic country feel. It was peaceful and truly idyllic. I loved the spacious room and the amazing views all around. Barke restaurant is a must! It is cosy, the service is impeccable and the food is divine! Joshua and Anton were amazing! They excel in personal attention, taking care to meet the needs of their guests!

Switching off is key. I like the fact that they don't have the latest TV's or DSTV. It just drives the message home... It is a BREAK away. Leave your cares and your busy life behind you and take a moment to enjoy the important things in life, like the company of your loved ones and appreciating nature's beauty!

Room Tip: Book a mountain view room! It is breathtaking! Great for Instagramming! Unbelievable scenery!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michele I
Hi Michelle

Many thanks for the taking the time to post your review - I am glad you enjoyed yourself here with us. We always aim to go the extra mile for our guests!

We are blessed to be live in Stanford and be afforded the chance to be so close to nature. I think this is a great positive and a fantastic experience for many guests that live in the city. However, we also realise that having large flat-screen TV's and DSTV is also important to some people, so I am slowly trying to upgrade as time goes by. Because Blue gum is family owned and run the budget doesn't always allow this. I am glad you were able to switch off and escape the city for the weekend - we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic weekend at Blue Gum Country Estate recently - the rooms are very spacious and the beds are very comfortable. The staff are really friendly and helpful and could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable.
The TV in the room is very old and has two local channels which are not worth watching - this does need to be upgraded.
We did not feel like eating in the restaurant one evening so ordered from the "room service" menu and felt this was really overpriced. The cheese platter for two was really small and overpriced - I thought that a mistake had been made and it was for one person. That said, the breakfast in the restaurant was really enjoyable.

Dear butt80

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience at Blue Gum. I am glad the experience was mostly Very Good. However, I am always striving to give all my guests an exceptional stay and I am pushing my staff to do the same and encouraging them to be pro-active in their approach to making sure every need of our guests is catered for.

Thus, my sincere apologies for the fact you felt you were overcharged. As I am pretty well traveled (and extremely price conscious), I am careful to price every meal and beverage according to an industry standard. Perhaps you received a Platter for 1 and my manager erroneously charged for a Platter for 2. I unfortunately was not on the estate on your morning of check-out and would have happily removed this from the bill. I sincerely hope you didn't feel it was penny-pinching, it is never my intention.

With regards to the TV's, it is certainly a consideration to upgrade them. Many people are all too happy to not have the ol' box interfering with their getaway, but many people do require this as a standard thing nowadays. I have taken your suggestion under serious consideration.

We hope to welcome you back very soon - the cheese platter will be on me

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Firstly, I need to say that Anton, the owner is a lovely host, very helpful and friendly! However this Country Estate is in serious need of some upkeep. The lounge/dining area is lovely however our room, the Lion Honeymoon Suite, wasn't great at all! Not sure if the other rooms are in the same condition but this was very disappointing to say the least. The views are beautiful & that's where my love affair ended... There is no shelf in the shower to put your soap/shampoo etc, the toilet leaked all night making a dripping noise, the couch/furniture/blankets in the suite are in serious need of an upgrade, the TV is really old (not that it matters if you want solitude and peace) however their is no satellite dish which means two local channels... not on par with a country estate. The kettle was black inside (I understand that the local water is brown), however fit the suite with a glass kettle without an element so guests don't have to look at the state of the kettle! The carpets were coming up in places, the blankets hooked and old. I think their is an office next door to this suite because on our second night we hardly slept with the strange knocking and talking going on next door! No wood in our room the second night to make a fire, it should have been replenished, no wine glasses in the room, perhaps drinking in the room is discouraged! Not my idea of a country estate! Beautiful setting, friendly owner, however the honeymoon suite is in serious need of an upgrade! There is a lack of attention to detail which I expected from an establishment like this.

1 Thank SammyKim
BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear SammyKim

Many thanks for sharing you experience on TripAdvisor, and whilst I am disappointed your stay did not live up to expectations I am happy that you have given me an opportunity to comment on your experience as well as improve on what we offer here at Blue Gum.

I am a rather anxious person (thanks mom and dad) so I have had to learn over the years that I have been at Blue Gum to ask every guest how they are enjoying their stay, and if there is anything else I can do to make it more comfortable. I would often like to avoid this question. This is generally a difficult situation for me, as people occasionally are not enjoying their stay for some reason or something is not right about their room etc.. However, me asking the question at least gives me the opportunity to make it right. I did ask you the question, but unfortunately you never gave me any indication something was wrong and thus I was never able to make it right (in at least some aspects). With regards to such criticisms as the wine glasses and the wood we do have phones in the room so guests can ask for something if it is depleted or not present. Drinking is certainly not discouraged in our rooms - in fact you asked me to put champagne glasses in your room on arrival as you were bringing champagne to celebrate a special occasion. Perhaps the lack of wine glasses was just an oversight on the part of my staff?

With regards to the shelf in the shower, it had been newly tiled, so my handy-man had obviously forgotten to put it up. Once again, easily remedied with a call to let us know. The same goes for the toilet leaking. However, I do understand people prefer not to have to speak up about these sorts of things, and perhaps the list was too long for you to address with me.

With regards to the kettle - we have tried multiple types but all stain. And I do not believe in getting rid of something functional that still works. The carpet you took a photo of was in fact a runner mat that perhaps one of my laundry ladies had not straightened properly. Also an easy fix.

That being said, the only reason I operate Blue Gum is to offer guests a fantastic experience. This was obviously not the case for you - and thus I sincerely apologise. Maintenance and upgrades are a constantly ongoing thing, and things do wear down after a long summer season. The problems you bring up were easily rectified - I do appreciate you bringing them to my attention.

Regards

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We have just come home from a very restful weekend at Blue Gum Country Estate. When we arrived, we were greeted by Joshua who relayed a little bit of history and showed us to our room. We were fortunate to have booked the honeymoon suite which was spacious and offered a private veranda overlooking a small vineyard and beautiful country views. The huge bath, fireplace and candles ensured that our winter weekend was comfortable and enjoyable. In fact, the weather was so bad on our second day that a tree was uprooted taking a power line out with it and putting an end to electricity for the rest of the weekend. This did not make our stay any less enjoyable. Joshua ensured that we had plenty of candles and anything else we may need to ensure that our weekend was not ruined. Unfortunately, we did not get to enjoy any of our meals here so we are unable to review the food.
The grounds are very well kept and it is very evident that much love is going into the upkeep of Blue Gum.
On a slightly less positive note, we did feel that the rooms were due for a small upgrade. In fact, it is hard to put it into words correctly. I would say, that they really just need a very good spring clean. While the rooms are not dirty, certain elements are looking a little dreary and I am sure that it is an easy fix. The cream curtains, for example, would probably look like new after a good clean.
To the owner, please take this as a positive criticism. We really did enjoy our weekend and it truly is a fantastic retreat into the country.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sam P

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Blue gum, I am glad it was a mostly positive experience. As Blue gum is a family business we are dedicated to keeping everything running at a high standard from the grounds to the restaurant to the rooms. As you say, a lot of love and TLC has gone into it. Thus, accept my apologies that the rooms felt a bit tired to you. I am a fan of constructive criticism, and although I always take it to heart, I try and use it to make Blue Gum a better place. So no offense taken at all.

Obviously I am always trying to strike a balance doing maintenance on a room and being able to rent the room out, and perhaps I erred on the wrong side in this occasion. I pride myself, as do my laundry girls, on offering a room that is of an extremely high standard of cleanliness. With such things as curtains it is not always easy to get a service provider out here. That, being said, we have used the quieter winter period to do these sorts of things, so i hope you can see this change the next time you join us