“wow”

Blue Gum Country Estate
Ranked #16 of 87 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Blue Gum Country Estate is a tranquil piece of Tuscany in Stanford. I went for a mid week break and the hospitality and facilities were much more than I expected. I was completely blown away and left feeling relaxed and special.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear TCHoekstra

Thank you for sharing you experience - I am so happy that we were able to share our hospitality with you. I am privileged to be able to be of service to my guests - each and every one is special and unique with an amazing story. It was an honour to meet you, i hope we meet again

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I had a charming stay at this resort. Attention to detail is fantastic, food is above average and the owner is hands on. We loved the walks and being so close to nature. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear troller1967

Many thanks for the fantastic review - I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us at our little piece of paradise. We are certainly most fortunate to be so close to nature, and I am glad we could share it with you

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This has been our second stay at Bluegum and it is a superb family venue. Our 3 boys are all between the ages of 7 and 9, and love the freedom and adventure of Bluegum. And Mom and Dad feel comfortable to let them wonder and explore in safety. Food is simply superb (look forward to putting on extra kilos....) and the service is warm and attentive. We will continue to return as often as we can.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robyn G

Dear Curko Family

Many thanks for the fantastic review - I am thrilled you and the boys enjoyed your time here at Blue Gum.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Looking for an escape from the Cape Town winter weather, we headed for Blue Gum on a personal recommendation. The small, family run hotel lies in a beautiful valley, close to Hermanus. We found the owners to be extremely friendly and accommodating. Great with the needs of young kids and helpful in finding activities for them! Our family room was beautiful and warm with everything that we needed for our stay. The restaurant also provided delicious early meals for our kids whilst my husband and I enjoyed amazing quality food and wine in the evenings. Anton, the owner, was always on hand with good suggestions and the rest of the staff were very helpful. We would particularly recommend the Creations Wine Farm and loved seeing whales breaching in nearby Gansbaai.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank AmeliaTulloch

Dear Amelia

Thank you for the fantastic review - I am happy I was able to provide useful recommendations for you and your family. To be honest it isn't particularly hard, there is such a wealth of fantastic activities, restaurants and attractions on offer in our area. We are spoilt for choice - I do endevour to go to as many of the places in the area as possible to see that it is offering a good quality product and so I feel comfortable to pass this info onto my guests.

We hope to welcome you all back in the near future

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went for the weekend break away. The power failure during the 2nd evening was a bit frustrating due to a tree that collapsed on the power station but otherwise very nice scenery & the room was fantastic - King room.
Their restaurant's food was a bit over priced and not such a good experience though.

Room Tip: The King room - spacious with a lovely big bath, shower and a fire place.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hi Clarissa

Thank you for taking the time to review Blue gum - I am glad that the stay was on the whole a positive experience. With regards to the power failure, once again my apologies. This was unforeseen - due to extremely high and unprecedented winds a tree fell on our electricity lines. I hope it was not a great disruption - we do provide all our guests with candles, torches etc. in the case of an emergency like this one. Most of our rooms also have fireplaces, so being without electricity may be quite romantic for some.

I apologise that your experience at our restaurant was not a good one. We only source fresh and local ingredients and our chef makes everything to order. The duck main course you had was charged at R140 - albeit it an unusual dish, I believe the price to be fair if not cheaper than you will find in most establishments that serve such a dish. The cost per kilogram of duck (especially of the quality we get) is higher even than beef fillet. The apple crumble dessert was charged at R45 - for a freshly prepared, home-made tart with homemade ice-cream and creme anglais i think the price to be fair as well. All that being said - I do apologise that it was not a positive experience. I place a high emphasis on the quality of our food and the experience of our restaurant.

We hope you can return one day

Regards

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Blue gum is a very estate in the neighbourhood of Hermanus and Gansbaai for looking for whales.
Blue Gum is outside the city of Stanford in a very nice environment. Everything was well organised, nice staff and good rooms.
Relaxing for couples and families.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Fred D

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your comments are most appreciated. blue gum is uniquely situated between Hermanus and Gaansbaai, giving us the best of all worlds. Hermanus is 35km away and Gaansbaai is 30km away and both places offer some of the worlds best boat based whale watching. Gaansbaai also offers shark cage diving.

i hope your family enjoyed the rest of their time in South Africa - we hope to see you again the next time you visit

Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Such a warm and friendly environment, on a beautiful property. The gardens are beautiful, I'll need to see them in the summer! Will definitely be back, and next time we will bring the kids. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Candice

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Blue Gum. I am glad you enjoyed it. Please do join us again - Blue gum is great for families and romance alike. I am glad you were able to send the kids to the grandparents for a night :)