“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of FrancolinHof

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hermanus
FrancolinHof
Ranked #41 of 89 Hermanus B&B and Inns
UK
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We really enjoyed staying here. The rooms are very spacious and clean with excellent views and the breakfasts substantial and tasty. Mary's recommendations for places to visit and eat were very much appreciated-- the Raka wine estate, Greyton village and the berry farm near Stellenbosch on the way back to Cape Town airport were all top class places to visit.
The fact that it's a little way out of town doesn't matter as we used the tuk-tuk taxi for a meal with wine and this proved to be very reliable and reasonably priced.
We would love to return here--- as soon as possible !!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
francolinhof, Owner at FrancolinHof, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Hello Ken

Many thanks for this lovely review. It was good to meet you all and better still to know you had an enjoyable stay in Hermanus. So you made it to the berry farm on your way back to the airport! I'm so pleased - it is a lovely place, isn't it and one of our favourite lunches or teas when we're in the Stellenbosch area.

The tuk-tuk is a great addition to Hermanus transport and our guests make good use of it.

We look forward very much to meeting you here again - as soon as possible.

Our best wishes to you both from a glorious sunset in Hermanus.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed in Francolinhoff for 2 nights and very much enjoyed the place and the friendly and helpful service. At first we were a little bit upset that the house is quite far from the ocean. But when we discovered that the views are great, that the famous Rocky beach is right down the hill and that the rooms are huge, we knew that we made the right choice. Thanks to Mary for very cosy rooms, very delicious breakfasts, Porto and sweets in evenings!

When you combine this beautiful experience with the great price performance, this is for sure a recommended place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
francolinhof, Owner at FrancolinHof, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear VIneta

What a lovely review and I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay at FrancolinHof and that you were happy with your choice!

The last few days have been even hotter than when you stayed here and definitely beach weather. I hope the rest of your holiday was equally enjoyable and I hope that we'll have the pleasure of meeting you again one day.

All the best for 2013 - may it be a wonderful year for you.

Kind regards
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

A really nice clean and relaxed place. The owners are very friendly. The rooms big just like the bathroom. Breakfast was nice. We only stayed one night but we could imagine staying here a bit longer.

Fam Brok

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
francolinhof, Owner at FrancolinHof, responded to this review, 8 December 2012
Many thanks for this review - we enjoyed having you to stay with us. Hopefully next time you will manage to spend a few extra days in Hermanus!

Our best wishes to you all for Christmas and the New Year.
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

Stayed for one night at Francolinhof and enjoyed the stay. The hostess was nice and friendly, the rooms good and clean. When we came downstairs in the morning a good breakfast was waiting for us. The view from the B&B is great.
Only downside it's not really close to the city center or the ocean. So you do have to drive a bit for a good restaurant.
All in all a pleasant stay

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
francolinhof, Owner at FrancolinHof, responded to this review, 8 December 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on FrancolinHof. Much appreciated and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Being 5kms from the centre of the town is certainly rather far to walk to the restaurants, on the other hand, our views, the proximity to beaches, the Cliff Path and position on the mountain slopes are the advantages in our position. It is a pity, though, that you didn't have the time to take one longish walk along the Cliffs all the way in to the centre - it is a stunning walk and hopefully you will return and do this one day.

Our best wishes for a blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

Redditch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

Firstly our room was good, great views. But the web site does say whales in the distance, you would have to have really good eye sight to see a whale, you are a long way from the ocean. Breakfast - the food was fine but we stayed two nights, on morning one I asked for white toast to be told there was no white bread and my husband got a differant breakfast to the one he ordered. On day two again Tom received a differant breakst...
They did suggest a resturant at the old harbour that we went to, excellent food but they did not menion to us that one "wall" was a plastic sheet and it was quite cold, being October.
We paid 120.00 GBP per night, this was expensive for a) the guest house and b) Hermanus (most of the accommodation when we arrived ther was adverised at 50 GBP to 60 GBP)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
francolinhof, Owner at FrancolinHof, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Dear Pam

Thank you for taking the trouble to write such a detailed review and I think I owe you an equally detailed reply. I am pleased that you could not fault our rooms or view.

Firstly we do not charge 120 GBP/night. We charge 74.561GBP/night at todays rates which are likely to be similar to those in Sept and Oct when you paid your deposit and balance.

I would ask you to refer to your receipts: Sept Deposit: R630 (44,736GBP); Oct Balance: R1470 (104,385 GBP); Total for TWO nights: R2100 or 149,121. Please note - this is for TWO nights !!

I would also ask you to refer to other websites for Hermanus and would appreciate it if you would let me know if you find any 4* guesthouse, with a great view and with good rooms, whose summer rate is 50 - 60GBP/couple per night.

I am pleased that our website it accurate - the whales are in the distance and this afternoon all of our guests were on their balconies watching one breech right out of the water and splash back down again. In the distance.

About the white toast. I apologise again, as I did that morning. You might remember that the white was there for you the next morning.

As it happens, months go by without anyone asking for white toast and being quite happy with light brown. Actually, the majority of our guests prefer the lovely fresh health loaves which we always have for breakfast. However, you have made a good point, and since you have stayed here we have always had white bread available for toast.

To be very honest, I have little recollection of the two incorrect breakfasts for Tom. I will take responsibility for those - although I wish that he had pointed this out and i would have changed whatever I had got wrong. I think I was somewhat rattled by the problematic white bread !

And then the restaurant - Quayside Cabin is a great little fish restaurant and I am pleased that you enjoyed it. We do warn guests that it is casual and a container, if you remember - but you're quite correct, I don't mention the plastic windows because no guest has found this a problem. Not even in the middle of winter. If it is cold, the owners are very good about heating the place.

I hope I have responded to all of your comments - and I'd just like to re-iterate that the rates that you have saddled us with, are incorrect - by an increase of almost 40%!!

I would agree wholeheartedly that R1600 + would have been steep. But R1050 I think is very reasonable. Fortunately, so do the majority of our guests who return each year.

My best wishes to you and Tom, for Christmas and the New Year.

Mary Faure
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at FrancolinHof and it exceeded our expectations. The mountain views and the sea views were spectacular!
The room itself was of the highest quality offering excemptional comfort.
I highly recommend this bed and breakfast. Words and pictures do not do it justice.
Extremely satisfied.
Great location, great views and great hosts.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leighwallace4
francolinhof, Owner at FrancolinHof, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Hello Leigh

Many thanks for this lovely review having spent only one night with us - much appreciated. What a pity that you could spend only one night in Hermanus. Next time ...

Thanks too for recommending us to others who read TripAdvisor.

Our best wishes to you both for 2013 - it is hard to believe that it is nearly a New Year.

Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

This B&B has it all if you do not want to stay in the center of the city, it is close to the bay and starting point for the cliff walk that brings you to the city , very nice clean rooms and a perfect breakfast.
Friendly and very helpfull owners who will book whatever you want to do or go to.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
francolinhof, Owner at FrancolinHof, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Hartlijk dank voor dese review! We appreciate your writing it and it is wonderful that you took the trouble to write about so many of the towns you visited in South Africa. I'm pleased you remembered the Cliff Path - today is a lovely day and most of our guests are walking in to town.

Met beste groete aan julle albei en ek hoop dat ons eendag weer sal ontmoet.