“Incredible setting on teh seafront”
Review of Seafood at the Marine - CLOSED

Seafood at the Marine
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: True to its name, SeaFood at The Marine's menu offers guests a seafood menu showcasing the ethically sourced local ingredients that the Overberg region has to offer.
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Incredible setting on teh seafront”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This lunch did not come cheap but the setting on a beautiful April day was magnificent, right on the seafront
The staff were friendly and my fish meal was great - my husband did not do so well with the vegetarian meal of the day

• Visited April 2014
hamishhofmeyr, General Manager at Seafood at the Marine, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for your positive comment however I am disappointed that you Husband did not enjoy his vegetarian meal.
I do hope that we can make up for this when you next return.

Hampton Hill, United Kingdom
“Perfectly fine, if a little sterile.....”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Set in the rather splendid Marine Hotel, which looks like a large white wedding cake, the seafood restaurant has perfectly good seafood and excellent service in a rather boring, somewhat sterile dining room.

Visited March 2014
Thank you for your positive comments however we are concerned that you feel the setting was sterile.
Would you be so kind as to elaborate so that we may be given the opportunity to improve on this.
Helsinki
“Average dining at the Marine”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This year the Marine seemed to have a better menu than last, ie. there was a better choice of seafood than last year. My wife and I both went for the seafood soup that happened to have the correct colour and consistency of a really good bouillabaisse but this soup was quite amazing for being so tasteless! My wife´s grilled sole, however, was good but when is the chef ever going to learn that sole can be prepared in many ways: á la diplomate, á la ancienne, á l ´anglaise, á la parisienne, á la bonne femme, á la bordelaise, á la dauphine, á la bourguignonne, á la catalane, etc. It does not have to be grilled year in and year out. My prawn and leek ravioli was tasteless and a great disappointment compared with what I once had in an Italian restaurant in Monte Carlo.The Marine offers a smart dining experience if you are content with average food. The locals in the know will bear me out.

• Visited March 2014
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your meal. You will I am sure be delighted to know that the owner has added Sole Colbert to the menu and we hope that you will return to enjoy this delicacy.
Hermanus, South Africa
“Elegant and excellent”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This very traditional hotel operates two first class restaurants.
The Seafood less formal but the service and food offering is exceptional clever lighting and clean line style compliments the open servery where you can see your food at most stages of its preparation.
If you seek a class act this is where to go

Visited March 2014
hamishhofmeyr, General Manager at Seafood at the Marine, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your positive comments. We do indeed pride ourselves in good service and great food and I hope that you will return again soon for some more of the best.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A bitter experience”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have travelled all over the world and am well versed in five star and Relais et Chateaux properties and I would never have believed I would experience anything like this in a property of that calibre. Our evening started at the Sun Lounge with cocktails (which was very pleasant and I would recommend). However, we were given the menus in the Lounge and 'harassed' until we placed our orders for our dinner one hour later. Instead of a leisurely dining experience I felt I was being rushed and pressurised. When we arrived at the table the starters were placed in front of my friend before we had even had time to look at the wine list and order the drinks, which meant a 15 minute delay with the food in front of him before we got the drinks and he was able to eat. Although there were plenty of staff, the service was almost non-existant even with a Manager and Food and Beverage Manager present in the restaurant. We had to pour our own wine and water and the ice bucket was not replenished. We also had to call the waiter to remove the dishes. The tables are small, which makes it a bit awkward as our neighbours discovered when after receiving their starters and taking two bites, they were suddenly given their main courses. The option offered by the Manager when he saw their dissatisfaction was that he would take the food back and keep it warm , neither I nor they could believe that so they opted to balance everything awkwardly on their table at the same time and try to eat it all before it got cold. In a 5 star establishment, really ? This preluded the highlight of my evening, when a chef and assistant in full view of myself and the other diners brought two live crayfish to the prep area and proceeded to SLOWLY cut the writhing creatures in half from their tails up through their heads. The creatures were writhing so much a second assistant needed to hold them down !!!! I have never experienced anything as disgusting or barbaric in my entire life. Only after they were cut in half and still writhing did they throw them into a pot of boiling water. I am still nauseated and deeply upset even thinking about this. Needless to say that as soon as I regained my voice I complained to the Manager, Hotel Duty Manager and have not stopped there ! The food was generally dissapointing, I ordered fish and chips, the batter was soggy, the chips were soggy and over cooked and the mushy peas were al dente. I would not recommend this restaurant under any circumstances, so please be warned.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Chandreroux
Please be sure to check your accuracy on comments such as this as it goes against everything we are about.
Maybe one day you will return and see that we are in fact a fantastic restaurant with strong ethics, great food and fantastic service.