Simola Hotel Country Club & Spa
US$137
US$127
US$114
US$109
Knysna Log-Inn Hotel(Knysna)(Great Value!)
US$144
Blackwaters River Lodge(Knysna)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$132
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgolf courseorchid roomclubhouse barsales conferencebedroom suitepro shopexcellent golfknysna headsindoor poolplaying golfgas braaibreakfast was includedthe general managerrestaurant staffamazing viewshotel guestsround of golf
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful three night break at Simola Hotel & Spa in Knysna in April 2012. We were treated to a one bedroom suite (room C3A) with a full kitchen and living room. It was by far one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in (and I have been lucky enough to stay in many luxury hotels). We had our own balcony with braii area (barbecue area) and patio furniture. The kitchen includes everything you need – cutlery, pans, plates, etc. The view from our room was simply spectacular. You can see right over Knysna (including the Knysna Heads) from your room. We baked our own pizzas and sat on the patio watching the sunset – it really was superb.

The hotel restaurant is above average, but not fantastic. We waited a long time for our hot breakfast to arrive on two out of the three mornings we ate there. We tried the hotel for dinner and were disappointed to be informed that two of the main courses were not available on our chosen night (especially disappointing on such a short menu). The staff in the restaurant are very nice and accommodating though.

The golf course is beautiful and very well kept. The hotel itself and the guest rooms are immaculate. We loved strolling around the golf course on an afternoon.

The Spa is beautiful and has all the latest fitness equipment and beauty products. Unfortunately the Spa was let down by the customer service during our visit. The receptionist was not welcoming and when we asked for an appointment at 3pm she simply said it was not available. She did not offer alternative times but when we pressed it was clear there were plenty of slots available that day. I felt like she would rather we didn’t book a treatment so that she could put her feet up all day! The treatments themselves were good but lacking a personal touch. There was no music playing in the treatment room and my therapist didn’t even tell me her name. I was not told how to position myself on the bed and there was no where to hang my dressing gown or place my locker key inside the treatment room (I had to pile them in a corner on the floor). All this made me feel a bit uneasy and I found it difficult to relax during my massage (which, again, was average). I passed my comments on the Spa to the manager via the customer feedback form and he was kind enough to send me a personal email thanking me for my comments. I do hope he tries to turn things around as this is an otherwise lovely hotel and the Spa has real potential.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a one bedroom suite. My photos attached are of Suite C3A which was simply fantastic.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VJW322
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night. Check in staff were ok, polite but not overly so. We stayed in an ensuite room but noticed that the other rooms were part of 2 bedroom apartments with kitchen etc, the rooms are planned in a way that they can accommodate couples or families. As it was the Easter weekend there were many kids around so the noise and cooking smells permeated through the walls. The room was nicely decorated in warm tones and the free biscuits was a nice touch. I spotted a cockroach on the wall and phoned reception to send insect repellent. This took a while and I did not take my eyes off the cockroach. I have this thing about cockroaches so was kind of distressed. Generally the room was spotless so I don't think it reflects the cleanliness of the room. These things do happen. Breakfast was adequate and nothing to rave about. The views are stunning and if I am in the area again I will probably stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a lagoon facing room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Safiya M
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We were very impressed with the menu.A nice mix of different dishes.Well priced pasta,fish,chicken and meat.Soup,salads and sushi for starters.The view from the retaurant over the golf course and Knysna Heads is spectacular and the service really good and friendly.
Hotel suites fabulous.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The view from the hotel and rooms is breathtaking - in the foreground you have the brilliantly green golf course, and in the distance you look out over the lagoon and ocean.

We had a "lagoon facing suite" which was absolutely huge, with wrap round balcony and a braai to boot!

The only disappointment of the stay was the restaurant did a fairly limited buffet for dinner after we had been told it would be a la carte. The receptionist booked us in at JJ's down in town for the following night though which more than made up for it and is an absolute must if you stay at the hotel. The food there was amazing, the menu is one where you could literally choose 10 starters and 10 mains ..... not a good idea though as the portion sizes are gigantic!

Excellent value for a 5 star hotel with the size and quality of room we had.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Si_Bailey
Reviewed 30 January 2012

i booked this hotel only 6 weeks before xmas and got a special deal with hrs.de. it was outstanding. our apartment consisted of 2 bedrooms both ensuite and a big living room open plan with kitchen. verandah to look onto lagoon and golfcourse. breakfast like every other hotel - good. the only downfall was that the bar was closed at around 10.30h , bit dead , when we came back from the knysna waterfront and needed a digestiv. meal there(in knysna) was terrible!

Room Tip: think it is depending on price. front towards lagoon would be more expensive , but the sideview is not bad either. the golfcourse looks fantastic.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family