“Ideal location”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Ideal location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

we stayed in the Rex hotel during the knysna Oyster Festival. Absolutely ideally because my husband did the cycle tour and myself the Coelecanth run. Bathroom is small, but bedroom, kitchenette and "tv room' make for a "homely' feel. The only disadvantage is the old houses and back yards that we saw from our room. Breakfast was also great and everything is within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We value all comments received.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves in our location and service, and it is lovely to have this affirmed by your comments. With regards to the houses and the back yards of our neighbours – I’m sure you may appreciate that we have little control over this factor, although we do attempt to communicate with our neighbours on the issue. I hope the rest of your stay made up for this small distraction.

We would love to welcome you back to The Rex Hotel in the not too distant future.

Masuda Mohamed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Nice stay in Knysna, the Rex hotel is in a prime location just a minutes walk from the waterfront. Staff extremely helpful. A few small issues with the room but dealt with by the staff in a timely manner. Breakfast was excellent. Would stay again & good value for money

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Nicole,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We value all comments received.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. My apologies for the lack of tourist information provided my the reception staff. I will most address the situation immediately as well as housekeeping.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel.

Hout Bay, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

The Rex hotel is close to the waterfront of Knysna . The hotel was not purpose build and seems to have been built as apartments or such like before being converted . The standard rooms are so tiny two people would not comfortably fit themselves and there luggage in the room . The room I had needed to be cleaned properly as it had unknown stains on tv stand and stains on carpet as well . When you shower water leaks out the door and onto the carpet . Breakfast was average with a small choice . At this price point there are numerous other options close by . Room hint . Do not take tiny standard room .

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnFinchPhotography
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies for your unpleasant stay. With regards to your comments we will take them under consideration however the general feedback we receive is positive of nature. I can assure you that we are currently in the process of having all our carpets cleaned. As per your comment for the stain on the dresser, this occurs when liquid penetrates through wax and polish and gets into the finish. We are however looking into having this replaced.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel.

WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Unfortunately for me the weather was windy, really windy and it rain. But I didn't mind because what better place to be in was to stay here and chill out which I did. The location was excellent and I love staying in my room for the two days. I was very comfortable and the décor was great. I love the chairs in the kitchen and the bed was very good. The balcony I loved because it bought the inside outside. A great place to stay and the reception staff were such lovely people. Left with fond memories of the place. Thank you! Breakfast was downstairs and the food was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Rex Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards,
Masuda
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Pleasantly surprised indeed. Lovely modern deco. We stayed there for five nights and not once was I nostalgic. It was like living in a lovely home. The staff was very friendly. Special thanks to Michelle for taking an interest by engaging us and recommendations of what to do. She suggested an interesting Kynsna experience which is not largely known by tourists. Unfortunately it rained all day the day we were suppose to do it. It seems we missed out...next time!! The beautiful restaurant down stairs served lovely healthy foods. Excellently located, you can walk to the waterfront and the mall. If they can just put signage to the hotel. My husband and I enjoyed our stay in this lovely boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel in the not too distant future.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Great location, fantastic room, nice staff, good food and free parking lot. The Rex is just two blocks from the Waterfront, one of the nice places in the amazing Knysna. The room size and style surprised us positively. Breakfast was also really good. Certainly one of the best options in town.

Room Tip: We were lucky and got a free room upgrade, which is very comfortable and really big - full kitchen a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value all comments received.

Many thanks for your kind words and I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Scottsdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and had reserved a standard room but were upgraded to a larger room with a kitchenette. We really didn’t need the kitchen but it was nice to have a little more room. The room and bathroom were good size and clean. The location was walking distance to the water front and restaurants and shops. Although I wouldn’t feel comfortable walking at night for more than a block or two from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review. We value all comments received.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.