“Top value for money.”

Ranked #51 of 100 Speciality Lodging in Knysna
Purmerend
“Top value for money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Great location a little out of town in tranquille suroundings and beautiful views. Very friendly staff and a big, nice country style room. More than you could expect for your money. With the great 'Die Gieter' restaurant on the grounds. Highly recommended. We totally don't recognize the badmouthing in previous comments. Sounds like a vendetta to me!?!

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Hebrew first
brecon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have to agree with most of the other reviews here. This is the first time in fifty years I have refused to stay in a Hotel. The room was damp and there was mildew in the fridge. We moved to another room but it wasn't,t much better. I felt sorry for the elderly couple who were obviously trying to run it but I simply could not stay there- I would have been bitten to death! And it simply was not up to even a basic standard. It was embarrassing to have to tell them that we could not stay but to rate it as four star is simply outrageous! I would not rate it above one star.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank vaughansBrecon
Modena, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We checked in on Christmas Eve, quite late, into their cottage, supposedly for 3 nights. We were travelling the garden route and had stayed in other amazing B&B's, Lodges some quite a bit cheaper. Despite every window being open in summer the place absolutely STANK OF MOULD AND DAMP. You wouldn't keep a dog there. We could not breathe in the place or bear to touch the furniture, let alone sleep in the damp cold beds. The TV did not work and there was no throws/cushions like on their website... Suffice to say we checked into the Protea (late and in a panic) and then enjoyed Xmas. Literally we would have paid any amount to escape and not stay at this lodge. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I have also to say I do not believe any of the positive comments made about this place are real. The woman at reception is not a nice lady in my opinion and should not be in business.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Wils673
Cape Town, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I honestly can't believe this place was given 4 stars. We stayed only one night but were really shocked: rooms are quite dirty, fan didn't work (owner unapologetically told me 'it was broken long time ago and we never fixed it'), furniture is cheap and rottening on the corners, and there was only a bath (no shower) in our room.
My suspicion is that this was luxury accommodation 20 years ago and the owner got too old to realise what luxury is nowadays. Or they just play dumb and cash in the money; after all they will get customers anyways since knysna is one of SA's top destination. I however believe they should be fined for false advertising, as another review suggests.
This place should be sold as a budget accommodation and priced accordingly.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank raisonperdue
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We booked a 6 night stay in December and I have to say that this must be the dirtiest place we have ever stayed. We complained on many occasions but the dead spiders that were on the shelves on day 1 were still there when we left. Unfortunately for us we had paid in advance and it's next to impossible to find alternative accommodation during peak season so we had no choice but to stay - needless to say we spent a lot of time away from the lodge!! The rooms are nothing like what you see on the internet, which I pointed at out to the owners as soon as we checked in. Completely spoilt my perspective on Knysna lodges and the owners should be fined, they are complete fraudsters!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenhi
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Botha family who own and run the lodge are incredibly welcoming and it's hard not to feel like you are part of the family or to feel like you have arrived home. The rooms were spotless clean and kitted out and I felt warm and safe... not an easy feat for a joburg insomniac lass flying solo. Situated outside of the bussling town, its easy to get lost in time and reconnect with beautiful natural environment that surrounds the lodge... waking up to the call of Fish Eagles, and falling asleep to the sound of frogs and owls, so special. Great place for lazy birders like me, just sit on the restaurant deck and wait, fantastic! Safe and tranquil, homely and relaxing topped off with great food, amazing people and cosy places to 'kuier'. My suggestion is have a couple's weekend or visit with group of friends. But be warned, its terribly hard to leave!

Room Tip: Forest room...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

The place is terrible, the 6 sleeper cottage is nothing more than a converted tool shed. It is cold and damp and smelt as such. I took my family else-where as there was no way i could subjet them to this place. The internet pictuers for the cottage was for the owners house and when I tried to address the matter with the owner i was told that it was too bad and no refunds on their concellation policy. STAY AWAY

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family