“Defiitely worth a visit!”

Turbine Water Club Deli and Oyster Bar
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Wonderful food in a fascinating location - an old turbine plant. But service that doesn't match the obvious efforts to please.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Went for dinner on a quiet Tuesday evening with the kids and ..... wow!

Very unique and creative to set tables near the turbines that used to be in use at the Lagoon and ....... have been aesthetically refurbished.

There was no kids menu but the manager was happy to allow pizza from the adjacent sister restaurant next door to be served to the kids in the restaurant.

We wanted oysters and the kids can only enjoy cooked ones in garlic butter which understandably for some is a big no no to do to such excellent, large, fresh oysters..... But.... the chef came out of the kitchen to check with us and was happy to oblige. Every one loved the freshly prepared oysters - cooked and raw.

Mains were excellent - superbly presented and extremely tasty. The pork belly was fab and the steak was divine.

Ordered large wines by the glass which can often be poor quality wine but the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon on offer were excellent.

One of the best meals I ever had in SA and the staff went out of their way for us.

Would recommend this place - especially on quiet day for a quiet evening. Or if in a large group you could book out the restaurant and be served the equivalent of haute cuisine at great prices!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I went for a meal at Turbines which I expected to be lovely and be in keeping with the setting and the venue. I was sadly very disappointed !!
We started by ordering the wine which incidentally was out of stock, not a problem as this can happen anywhere. We reordered the wine and waited and waited, I had to ask the waitress in the end who said , sorry I forgot !! What !! We ordered our meals and waited for our starters,
when our starters came they were delivered to the wrong table the dinners there looked a little bemused and pushed my mussels around the plate before sending them back via the waiter, who realized the mistake so instead of taking them back to the kitchen he walked towards the door turned around and brought them back to the restaurant as if they were fresh. Fine he nearly got away with it only he took them to the wrong table again.
By then this would have been funny had it not been my starter. at this point the senior waitress spotted the mistake and sent them back to the kitchen yet again only to go in one door and straight out the door again to be delivered to my table for the 3rd time lucky. There was no way I was going to eat this so I sent it back. I was offered another one but declined as my fellow dinners were half way through their starters.
Our main courses arrived and they were very average and cold. I asked for the manager who came across apologised and said she was struggling with new staff. sorry but this is not an excuse, needless to say I didn’t eat my meal. the final insult of the evening came when the brought the bill, they didn’t offer to take anything off of even offer us a free drink.
Very poor food, do not go there !!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a lovely restaurant. Loved the tables hidden between the machinery. Very cosy and romantic. The food was great and as with all the staff at the Turbine we found the restaurant staff to be friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast served over the Fesitve Season was wonderful. Hope to be back soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a let down! We were a table of 6, and all had dissapointing meals. The butternut soup was not butternut soup! When we asked what was in the soup, no one wanted to tell us. The Chicken & prawn curry had 2 little prawns in it, and the Kingklip was very small and didn't even look like Kingklip.
It seems that everyone in Knysna says "Oh it's because of the season", but surely a 5 star restaurant should train their staff accordingly, ensure that service of both food & drinks is excellent, and then the food should be outstanding.
We asked to chat to the chef, but he never came out........ why?
We weren't looking for a fight - just wanted to find out if there was some reason why things weren't up to scratch.
Sorry Turbine - I won't be back despite being a local!

1  Thank bozzies