Protea Hotel by Marriott Knysna Quays
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Wayside Inn(Knysna)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationknysna quaystwo double bedslagoon facing roomheated poolmodern hoteldirect accessgarden routechoice of restaurantsgood sizebuffet breakfastwater frontsecure parkingcape townwaterfront areacomfortable roomssouth africa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The hotel is located just next to the waterfront which is full of nice shopping and eating options
Besides the superb location the rooms we had were wonderful -nice sized quay facing rooms .
Breakfast was also a nice buffet with good options
The hotel had a PC on each floor for the guests which was an added bonus
There was nice lobby area on each floor if you just wanted to relax
The check in and check out was smooth
The only negative is that this is a very popular hotel for groups so sometimes you do have a lot of noise at the reception due to group check in/check out
We strongly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Farimads
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Stayed during April 2011 for the weekend en route to Cape Town and once again found this hotel to be up to scratch as usual. They have a wonderful barman called Selenga and each time we have stayed here he has remembered us and payed dutiful attention to us. It happened to be his birthday while we were staying there and he went out and purchased a cake and presented my family with a slice each. I was really taken aback. We ate 2 nights at Cafe Mario and I can recommend this Italian eatery to anyone as have never had a bad meal there. On our last night we ate at the fish restaurant below JJ's and was really disappointed with the prawns we were served, they were floury and crumbly. We ate breakfast each morning at the hotel and it was superb. All round I give this hotel 5 stars and I will be returning in July 2011 again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Irene261202
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The Good news – the hotel has an excellent location on the waterfront and is a very nice building with nice rooms. The service at the reception desk and check in was excellent, very welcoming at all times, and a model many other hotels could follow.

The Bad News - was the restaurant service and the room cleaning. Although the breakfast in the restaurant was OK the service was dreadful. We had to go searching for tea/coffee both days and go looking for missing cutlery items both days. The staff were disinterested in customer service and appeared totally demotivated.
Worse still was our witnessing of the room housekeeping/cleaning where we watched the room maid wash our cups and saucers with the same dirty water and cloth as had been used to clean the bathroom!
We lodged our feed back on the appropriate form when we left and were assured our complaint would be seen by the General Manager. I added that we would be disappointed not to receive an explanation by the time we returned home 3 weeks later. There was no reply when we returned home so as the Protea Group has many hotels in South Africa we wrote to their Group HQ to lodge our complaint as we thought they should be aware of the poor quality service and the lack of a response in case it’s happening elsewhere in their group. But after the initial acknowledgement all further (uncoordianted) contact was from the Knysna hotel itself . The Protea HQ did not appear to want to own the complaint and although the Knysna hotel told us they had taken action as a result of our complaint, we were left with the feeling of a big cover up. The Knysna hotel (eventually) offered us a free night on our next visit – but they must be joking. We will never again stay in another Protea hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Charlie1143
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My husband and I have planned to travel along the garden route. I did search some hotels which available to stay during our trip which was quite difficult due to peak season. Finally, I found Protea Hotel, in Knysna Waterfront. I called and made booking for a room facing LAGOON. I transferred the money, as we didn't have credit card, and per hotel request for secured the booking.
We arrived last afternoon. We shocked to find the room was not facing the LAGOON but LOOKS LIKE facing the lagoon. You know what I mean. The room no facing the lagoon, but actually facing the pool and we can see lagoon far from our room. Facing it's mean when you stay in your room, you can see the scene you'd like to see. Not you have try to see you want to see. We were so upset. We asked for the money back, they refused it. Also, they refused to returned the discrepancy money we paid for the room. For your note, the rooms facing the lagoon and the rooms facing the pool or whatever are different price. The Lagoon's room is expensive compare to other. We asked to speak to Manager on Duty, the reception said the manager was not in his office and offered us to moved to another room the day after, if there's a room available.
Why they didn't tell me if no room facing lagoon available and offer the other room. So I don't have to pay much for the room we didn't get. We feel regret to choose Protea Knysna Quays.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Angelswan
Reviewed 11 May 2011

i had a wonderful stay at the protea hotel knysna.

i did not book before hand and arrived without a booking. the receptionist on duty made sure i had a lovely room. they then assisted me with my luggage to my room.

breakfast was excellent and the service was wonderful.

i would definitely recommend the hotel to any person and will definitely return.

keep up the good work.