We enjoyed a 4 day stay at the Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve for our Honeymoon. This is a great place to stay, if you want peace and tranquility. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole lodge is a collection of wooden buildings under the forest canopy, linked by wooden board walks.
We stayed in the Upper Tree Suites (Watsonia), but also looked at the Moroccan Suites - they were both spectacular! The rooms are in the forest, on stilts - not technically tree houses - but we knew this in advance. You have very nice privacy - rooms are far apart. The rooms are stunning - the upper tree suites have a outside bath (with jacuzzi jets) on the deck. The shower and bath inside also are surrounded by glass, so you really feel like you are outside. The rooms were perfectly clean and beautifully decorated - and blended in with the natural surroundings.
The staff were great - very friendly and helpful. From the barmen, to the cleaning staff - all extremely polite and helpful. They made as feel relaxed and at ease as soon as we arrived.
The food is really unique and of a very high standard. The chef is extremely creative - even the breakfasts were very good, and never boring. The restaurant only offers a 6-course dinner in the evenings, but each evening, a new menu is printed, from which you can make your selection. They made a separate menu for my wife as she is vegetarian, and she too was very impressed.
The views from the Chutzpah (pool area) and Lounge/Bar area are fantastic - a view over the Knysna Lagoon and estuary.
A few things to note:
* As the rooms are amongst the trees/vegetation, you don;t always have a view of the surroundings - you are under the canopy of trees. You loved the atmosphere, but some might prefer more expansive views - those are only from the Lounge/Bar/Pool areas.
* As the rooms are spaced for privacy, you have to walk a short distance to the restaurant - but the walk is along beautiful board walks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award winning Phantom Forest lodge and boma restaurant is situated in a private reserve on the Knysna River estuary, a magnificent setting of indigenous forest, fynbos and estuarine wetland. Designed to create only the lightest footprint , Phantom Forest offers superb luxury in complete harmony with nature. Accommodation consists of fourteen evocative "tree suites", perfectly integrated into the forest. Nature lovers can explore the reserve via forest and fynbos trails or canoe trips along the river. The Boma restaurant offers international cuisine served in the classic style while the body boma wellness spa provides a range of natural treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your The Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve Hotel Knysna
- Phantom Forest Eco Reserve Knysna