“Almost there...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Columbia, Maryland
“Almost there...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is a gorgeous property with among the loveliest rooms we have ever stayed in. They are spacious, well appointed and very clean. The staff is friendly and they want to help. What this hotel needs is a quick once over on getting the details right. Here are some examples. They mention to us that you are welcome to order a DVD at night and it will be delivered with complimentary popcorn. My girls were thrilled and tried two nights to make this happen but the popcorn never arrived. Why offer it at all if you cannot follow through? There is no iron in the room and we asked for one. It took 3 phone calls and 55 minutes for it to arrive. For New Year's Eve we attended one of their functions and the promise of a glass of welcome champagne never arrived and the DJ was 1 hour late - starting at 11 instead of 10. All of these are minor if they happen in isolation but I sense of pattern of not quite being ready for prime time.

Room Tip: I imagine they are all lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Victor C, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, 15 April 2015
Dear happyfamily_of_4_USA

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Conrad Pezula.

While I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your suite and received friendly service, it concerns me that we were unable to deliver on what we offer. Please rest assured that we will use your valuable feedback to further train our team and continuously improve.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again.

Kind regards

Victor Chalfoun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We just celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary with a weekend at Pezula.
From email communication prior to arriving, throughout our entire stay - the service was amazing! This is what made the whole experience so special. Every time you arrive at the main area of the hotel, the welcome you receive is warm and efficient.

The rooms are large, spacious and include some lovely touches. There is nothing out of this world exceptional, but everything is of a fantastic quality down to the nougat at turn-down. The bathrooms are large and perfect, the shower is really great - but the bathrobes are probably the highlight :-)

Unfortunately the cocktails are not great. My only suggestion would be to either employ an actual cocktail barman or not call it a cocktail bar and instead just serve wine, beer and easy drinks. Nothing worse than ordering a Mojito that has only a few floating mint leaves.

All in all, a beautiful part of the world, a stunning golf course (even if you're only taking in the views and not playing), and service that makes it all very special.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room which I think are nicer so that you have more of a view.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Kim H,

Congratulations on your Anniversary and thank you for trusting us with your special occasion. I am pleased that you had a good time and thank you for such a nice nice review. I am sorr y that we did not get the cocktail right and if you are in Knysna again I will personally buy you a decent Mojito.

Thank you for selecting us and then promoting us by giving this review.

Pulloxhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

....... the service is appalling and you really MUST use the in-room safe!

If we'd only stayed one night, I would probably have given a 5* review. The resort is stunningly beautiful, the location and views are wonderful, and the rooms are undoubtedly the best I have ever stayed in. I'm pretty sure that our room was bigger than my last apartment - a huge suite with superking bed, table and chairs, chaise, fireplace, massive furnished balcony with views to die for, walk in wardrobe, kitchen area (comprehensive minibar, a fresh lemon for your G&T, Nespresso machine) and a bathroom bigger than most hotel bedrooms. Every conceivable amenity is included, including a candle and matches next to the bath, and the toiletries are by Aromatherapy Associates. The only slight negative on the room was that the 2 strategically, (but very oddly!), placed blankets on the chaise were actually covering big 12" rips in the fabric. Come on Conrad, 5* resorts should repair or replace damaged furniture.

All the rooms are suites and dotted around the grounds in buildings of 4 suites (2 at ground floor level and 2 upstairs), at varying distances away from the main building. Transport to and from rooms is by golf buggy. Most rooms have great views, either over Knysna Lagoon or the golf course, but 1st floor rooms have the edge. Even the lowest tier of room is absolutely fantastic.

The spa/indoor pool is lovely, and the outdoor pool is stunning (although far too small for a hotel of this size). Breakfast is excellent, and there are 2 restaurants - Cafe Z is the more casual but decent food and reasonably priced, Zacharys is fine dining and approx £50/head for the set menu. There's a nice lounge/bar with a good selection and drinks are surprisingly reasonable for this standard of hotel (or maybe I am spoilt, being a Brit with the excellent exchange rate!).

So, why a 3* review you might be wondering?, well......

Service was rubbish in many areas:

1. On check in they decided to 'upgrade' us to a lagoon view, but the room wasn't ready yet so we were taken to our originally allocated room. It quickly became clear that we were being moved because there was a fault in the room, so electricians kept coming in and out, then someone arrived to empty the minibar, and we just hung around like lemons waiting for more information about what to do. After an hour we went to reception to be told the room wasn't ready. So we went for a walk, and another hour later it still wasn't. Eventually we did get into the room, but only after continually pestering reception, and even when we got to the room the cleaners were still there. It might have been nice to offer us a drink while we were waiting and give us an estimated timescale. I was tired after a long journey and just wanted to unpack, relax and have a swim, not sit around in travelling clothes for a couple of hours in blistering heat.

2. We asked for a cocktail menu in the bar, the guy went to get one and never returned!

3. It took almost an hour to get a drink by the pool - 10 minutes to get someone's attention, another 10 for a menu to be brought, another 15 for the guy to take our order, and then around 20 minutes for our 2 drinks (nothing complicated - a beer and a glass of wine) to arrive.

4. On going down to the bar/restaurant area on the 2nd night, we were blocked on the stairs by a lady acting as Maitre'D.demanding to know whether we had a reservation in a very agressive manner. She then informed us that there were no tables currently available, but said that she would let us know when there were. So we went into the bar and got a drink. She never re-appeared! Nor did the waiter who we asked whether our table was ready!! After an hour or so, I went back to Cafe Z to see what the hell was going on and whether we'd been forgotten about - and another lady couldn't understand why we had been kept waiting as the place was now half empty. We were seated and on seeing the agressive young lady from earlier, there was no spark of recognition, let alone an apology.

5. The service in Cafe Z that evening was beyond farcical, and most remaining diners were complaining about the speed and inaccuracy of food orders. They just could not get anything right. The next table to us had their main delivered before starter, we got glasses of wine instead of the bottle ordered and kept having to ask for more, we waited over half an hour for our order to be taken, etc, etc.....

And to top it all, I had money stolen from my room whilst I was either at dinner or breakfast. In some ways my own fault for not locking my purse in the safe, but it was inside my bag, inside the wardrobe, and someone obviously entered our room while we were safely in the dining room. That's very disconcerting from a security and safety perspective! It wasn't a large amount of money, and probably would not be noticed by many of the clientele of this resort, but as I had only just withdrawn money on arrival in SA I knew exactly how much I had and was shocked to discover some of it missing. They didn't take everything, probably just an amount that they thought would slip 'under the radar', but still 1,000 Rand and US$40, so around £100 in total. I reported it to the hotel management, more so they were aware that they have a problem than anything else and I did understand that they can accept no responsibility if I didn't use the safe. After a long form filling and questioning session with the head of security, I was assured that they would do a full investigation and get back to me with the findings. I wasn't that bothered, as the money had gone and I didn't have any hope of getting it back, but it annoys me that over 2 weeks later I have not heard a thing. Did they do an investigation or not? Do they take the security of guests seriously or not? I now don't know......

So, overall, a lovely place but with some major service (and security) flaws which mean that it really is not up to the standard that you would expect from this level of hotel, and hence I can only give it a 3* review. Shame because it's gorgeous!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hamish11
Dear Hamish 11,

I have to start with an apology. Service is what sets us apart from any of our competitors and when I read your review I am not pleased at all that you had so many areas that you could fault us on. I will not go into details in all of these but need you to know that each and every one of them a duly noted and action taken to improve or alleviate the same.

I am gratefull for the time you took to let fellow travellers know that we are normal people and not always perfect. Mistakes do happen and I am sorry that you had to see so many. The hotel was extremely busy over the days that you stayed with us and as mentioned in correspondence to you directly. It's not an excuse and we have learned from it to improve for the following season.

To comment on the money, we concluded the investigation and I responded to you directly on the matter. For the benefit of our fellow travellers we found no conclusive evidence that anyone at the hotel took any money, an unfortunate situation for us to handle. We take guest safety and security very serious and it's one aspect that is not compromised. We have a very reliable staff compliment that has not given us any reason to distrust them but in the face of temptation an individual might follow his or hers own set of values. This is however not confirmed in this alleged incident.

Thank you Hamish for still describing the location and setting as well as you have and once more do I ask that you accept my apology for letting you down with service. There has been a great improvement as you will note in the reviews that we have received.

Please let me know directly at the hotel when you travel to South Africa and if you will visit Knysna again. I would like to offer you something at that time to compensate for the experience.

Thank you once more for letting us know your feelings.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful resort on the outskirts of Knysna. The service was impeccable. All of the staff that we encountered were extremely friendly, polite, and eager to please. The rooms were large and very well appointed. Our stay was a wonderful experience balanced by the luxury of the property and warmth of the people.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jordan 1201,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I feel honoured when you recognise the team for providing superior service. It always boils down to the team and how the guests approach is to them as well. They love to serve and always has the guest's best interrest at heart.

We look forward to welcoming you back in SA and again at Conrad Pezula.

Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed for 2 night whilst doing the garden route.

Room was luxurious. All rooms are in separate blocks to the main building and our bags and ourselves used a golf cart to get to the room. Huge bed, great bathroom, walk in closet, bar area with drinks and capsule coffee maker. Only downside was that they put a z bed for my 14 year old which wasn't very comfortable, he ended up sleeping on the couch. Housekeeping did make up a separate single bed for the next night though.

Great views of Knysna from the hotel main balcony, seemed to be lots to do at the hotel. We all had a go at the golf driving range even though we had never done it before and the hotel organised everything including loan of clubs. Spa looked good but we didn't have time to use it.

There are some issues with the restaurant staff. On the first day when we checked in we made a reservation for the restaurant but when we turned up there was no table for us and we had to wait for people to leave before we could get a table, There were still some issues with service that we had to complain about but they did get resolved and we did get the meal on the hotel but it left a feeling that the restaurant staff weren't on top of their game. There were still some issues at breakfast , 25 mins waiting for a couple of poached eggs!!!

I was going to give this a 3* review but that wouldn't be fair, it's a very luxurious hotel , it's just some of the service in the restaurant that lets it down.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear wiltsKeith

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Conrad Pezula.

While I am pleased to hear that your overall experience was good, it concerns me that there were some service issues for which we sincerely apologise.

Please rest assured that we have noted your comments and will use your valuable feedback to assist with further training our team.

We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Kind regards

Victor Chalfoun
JHB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

What a treat. They have their own beach. There are beach chairs, towels, umbrellas and water waiting for you. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are beautiful. The restaurant has very tasty food. The breakfasts are delicious. They have dvds you can choose from. A very modern bathroom. We cant wait to return.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear NooneyG,

Noetzie beach is one of the most secluded and prestine public beaches in the area. We are very fortunate that we have access to such a natural resource and am very pleased that you had a great time there.

Thank you for the review and giving us the public recognistion for looking after you and creating exceptional memories.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Conrad Pezula.

Kind Regards

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We had a great stray at the Conrad pezula.. It's a lovely hotel with a beautiful gold course. Nice views of the ocean and lagoon. Up in the hills away from the city of Knysna. If you have a car it's not far away from the Knysna water front where you have some good eateries.

Dear Samdalal,

Thank you for the review. We are so grateful when our guests take the time to tell us about their stay, the location and service. Knysna truly is the gem in the crown of the Garden Route. Sitting on the viewing deck watching the sunset over the glistening lagoon is one of the most beautiful scenes.

We enjoyed being of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you to back to Conrad Pezula.

Safe Travels