“Golf Carts!”
Review of Conrad Pezula

Conrad Pezula
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My children LOVED LOVED LOVED the complimentary golf carts and considering it was raining quite a bit, they enjoyed using the weather as an excuse. The rooms are comfy and luxurious and I wished it was winter so we could use the fire places. One in the bedroom and one in the living area! Lots of firewood provided too. The staff are out of this world friendly. Absolutely lovely service from ALL of them. My 7 year old daughter even told me she made a 'best friend' from among the waitresses. I want to go back!! So do the children. We didn't have a family suite but they brought in two beds for them. Lovely area for tourists but next time I wouldn't mind just lazing around in the room...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Thandilocks
Victor C, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2015

Dear Thandilocks

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Conrad Pezula.

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful holiday and received excellent service.

It is heart warming to hear that the children had such a fabulous time and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back.

We look forward to seeing you soon again.

Kind regards

Victor Chalfoun

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was the penultimate hotel of our 3 week trip to fabulous South Africa and it didn't disappoint. Although they were a bit inflexible and snotty at the golf course ( considering the course was empty), my husband said it's was a glorious course to play set in stunning scenery. We had a lovely room which like the hotel has a retro 70's feel which works. We ate in all the restaurants and they even opened the fine dining restaurants at for us and 2 other couples which was most appreciated and delicious. I had a great afternoon horse riding trial style in the resort and a morning on the beach. The spa was small but perfectly formed although a little overcrowded. I had a great manicure to repair the damage done at the spa at the Fancourt, George. Our only complaint was with the hotel shop with its poor staffing and carelessness - an expensive piece of pottery was so badly wrapped that the lid fell out at the airport and smashed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Niamh G
Victor C, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2015

Dear Niamh G

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Conrad Pezula.

I am delighted to hear that you had a lovely overall experience and do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

I am disappointed to hear about your piece of pottery for which we sincerely apologise. Please rest assured that we take every opportunity to learn from any mistakes we may have made and will use your valuable feedback to further train our team.

Kind regards

Victor Chalfoun

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Perched high on the hilltops of Knysna you'll find this piece of heaven. The staff were very friendly and proffesional and the service was excellent. The fine dinig at Zachary's was amazing. The rooms are very spacious and overlook a small pond. I would go back there in a heart-beat.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Siphiwe
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Siphiwe,

When our guests enjoy the resort as much as you did and want to come back we are very pleased. We aim to have perfect service and being recognized for it is fantastic. Thank you, for recognizing us and for taking the time to post a review.

I look forward to welcoming you to Conrad Pezula in the near future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We have recently returned from Pezula and although the room was fantastic (we had a king sized superior suite), the overall experience was average.
We felt that both the breakfast and poolside service was poor. During our 4 night stay, there was never a fully laid breakfast table and the selection was mediocre. There appeared to be no direction and a general lack of urgency in these areas, with the need to continually ask for cutlery, glasses etc.etc.
We visited the poolside twice, where one would expect a 'pool boy' to service the area 24/7, but this was only a rare occurrence, hence dirty towels and once guests departed it was impossible to figure out whether the beds were available or not. The pool itself was more like a Turkish bath and on the second visit at about 5.00pm, dirty with grass and an oily/scummy residue.
On the plus side, the reception staff/drivers were very good, the concierge superb and it is a must to visit the gorgeous beach.
With a bit of leadership and organisation, it could be a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear PaulBoddy,

I am grateful for your review and providing us with feedback about you recent stay. It is always a dissapointment when we dont get things right and we strive to serve you as best we can. We have already implemented additional training sessions with our team and intensified management presence in both these areas. Thank you for letting us know.

I am pleased you enjoyed the room as well as the interaction with the team members at the porters desk and Concierge. Noetzie Beach sure is special and a must visit.

Paul, please accept my sincere apology for not exceeding your expectation and I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity in future to redeem ourselves as this is surely not the norm.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My partner and I stayed in one of the houses overlooking the golf course for 3 nights in January with friends whilst visiting South Africa.
Very romantic setting with the swimming pool overlooking the ocean, so much of a perfect spot that I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes. My now fiancée and I would certainly go back to this place as it holds fantastic memories for us. Our friend captured the moment when my partner found the ring in her glass.............

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Milleroz146,

What a big moment for the two of you. CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel and what the destination offered. Thank you for the review and allowing us to form part of your memories.

Knysna is the perfect romantic destination and I look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps even assist you in planning your wedding or honeymoon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Fantastic location and wonderful rooms.Very nice bar and lounge area .Excellent and attentive staff but service can be a little slow at times.Good food.Pool area a bit on small side if was busy.Fantastic golf course but busy and slow.Plenty o good and reasonably priced restaurants in Knysna.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,

Thank you very much for the review and advising us of what worked and what did not work. We certainly take your comment on board with the service that is slow and will look at the processes to increase the speed and productivity.

Knysna is such a diverse destination, you can find just about anything to your liking and I am pleased you ventured out and explored.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Knysna and Conrad Pezula.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

In spite of a disappointing start, the staff made this a great stay. The shower in our first room had a blocked drain and then the hairdryer caught fire - didn't just spark but literally caught fire with flames shooting out of both ends - the acrid odour of melted plastic in the room necessitated a change of room (rather than a hairdryer change as first proposed by front desk!) In spite of this little hiccup, we were fully satisfied with the actions of management who arranged a change of room while we dined. The (saltwater) pool is very nice, but I was a little surprised that it wasn't bigger, given the hotel size. There would appear to be space in the grounds to add another (kids pool?). The only other very minor surprise was that we expected additional mattresses for the kids to be on rollaways, rather than set out on the floor.

We'd highly recommend a visit to the private beach (free of charge), and hotel-provided picnic (at a charge). It was really lovely, and the activities were great too - my daughter did archery in beautiful surroundings: the tutor was friendly and attentive - great value for money.

Dinner was rather disappointing in Cafe Z, but breakfast was great. Breakfast waiting staff were excellent - Lisele deserves a special mention for organising egg-free scones when she learned of my younger daughter's egg allergy. There was another very minor hiccup when I was slightly overcharged for a glass of wine in the restaurant - I suspect that the 2014 prices in the system have not yet made their way into the printed menu....in spite of the fact that I struck out the incorrect charge on the receipt and wrote a note identifying the correct price, the incorrect charge still appeared at checkout - but this was swiftly corrected by front desk staff who were also friendly and efficient.

This is perhaps not the best place to stay if you plan to use Knysna as a base for touring the surrounds, due to the slight distance from the main N2 highway, but if you want a relaxing getaway with great service, this is the place to go. Overall we had a great stay and we would have returned the following week, had there been availability.

Room Tip: Upper rooms afford a (better) view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Smokescreen,

Starting the way you did is never ideal but I am very pleased that you where satisfied with the way the team dealt with the situation and that you allowed us to rectify the problem.

Thank you for the review and highlighting areas where is is possible for us to improve and do better. Please accept my apology for the incorrect charge in the restaurant. If you like you may advise me direct a bit more detail why you did not enjoy the dinner experience in Cafe Z.

The beds should be roleaway beds and I will look into this. We did have an unusual amount of children in the hotel and I suspect that the team had to make alternative arrangements to accommodate the children in the best possible way. My apology about that.

Thank you for the review, the positive recognition of team members by name is valuable and I look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Gert

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knysna
Protea Hotel by Marriott Knysna Quays
The Turbine Boutique Hotel and Spa
The Plettenberg Hotel
The Plettenberg Hotel
#2 of 13 in Plettenberg Bay
Villa Afrikana Guest Suites
Villa Paradisa Guest House
Simola Hotel Country Club & Spa

Been to Conrad Pezula? Share your experiences!