“Attention to Detail” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 129 Knysna B&B and Inns
South Africa
“Attention to Detail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

South Africa's Garden Route has one drawback - the price of accommodation is often outrageous. Imagine my delight then when I booked into Candlewood Lodge - which looked great on the website - and held thumbs. Turns out this is true value for money. Candlewood is a magnificent establishment and hosts Joyce and Graham are discreet but very attentive.

Our room was "Sand" - with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Crisp, white linen (and towels), a gushing power shower (and bath if wanted) and a view of the Knysna Heads that we feel everyone must have envied.

Breakfast is served on a sunny terrace with the odd monkey dropping in and rooms have views of forest or sea depending on your taste. Every room (and I checked them all out) is furnished with impeccable taste and every last detail has been thought about - intelligently.

Don't want to walk into the glass shower panel - ah, there's a seahorse to remind you it 's there. Extra loo rolls, extra tissues, extra everything. Plenty of plug points, hairdryers. It's all there and more. I give this five stars.

• Liked — Style and comfort
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HawkSouthAfrica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2008

We searched for accommodation in Knysna that would cater for my partner and I, and my Dad and his wife and found Candlewood Lodge online. Their site shows a good and accurate selection of photos of their rooms and we were even more impressed when we arrived as they were stunning.

The decor was beautiful and the rooms were immaculate - which is something I very much appreciated, as I am very particular about cleanliness. We stayed in rooms Sea and Sand, which have an adjoining balcony with a fantastic view over the Knysna Heads.

Joyce and Graham were superb hosts and made us feel part of the family. Breakfast was first-rate, with so much choice that we did not even need to have lunch.

We were sad to leave but know that we will definitely return as there is so much to do in and around Kysna and the location of the lodge is within 20 minutes drive of many places of interest. We will recommend Candlewood Lodge to our friends, without any doubt!

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McFilly
Boroughbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

If you are going to stay in Knysna we can not think of a better place to stay than Candlewood.

Graham & Joyce made us so welcome and treated us as honoured guests. They could not have done more for us.

We stayed in Room Sand which was immaculately furnished in an African theme. It is without doubt one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in and we immediately felt at home.

The views from the balcony were fantastic looking over the lagoon towards the Heads. What a great place to wind down with a glass of wine with friends.

I can not thank Graham & Joyce enough for the great welcome we had not to mention the fabulous food.

• Liked — High Quality Furnishings, very clean & great owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

My parents have just returned from the 'trip of a lifetime' around South Africa. As it is something they had wanted to do for more than 40 years and due to my mother being physically disabled a lot of research, planning and organising went into making the trip as perfect as possible.
As I have been to South Africa before I knew my parents would love Knysna and so set about trying to find suitable accommodation for them. My main priorities were access for my mother (who gets around in either a wheelchair or a walking frame) and friendly, helpful hosts. Despite the disability, my parents are busy, active, outgoing people who don't like to miss out on anything during their travels, and local knowledge is invaluable.
I fired off enquiry e-mails to Candlewood Lodge and another hotel in Knysna based on reviews on Tripadvisor and the accommodation web-sites. Graham from Candlewood Lodge came back to me almost immediately with a full friendly e-mail detailing the layout of the house and rooms, right down to the single step between the lounge and bedroom. He described the rooms most suitable for my mother and said that the parking space directly in front of the entrance would be kept for their use if they chose to stay there. In one e-mail he won me over. He was welcoming and helpful without being at all pushy. In comparison, the other hotel I contacted finally sent me an impersonal quote 2 days later with no answers to the questions I had asked about disability access.
From there on Graham and I e-mailed back and forth, with him assisting me with all manor of queries about local activities and transport. Nothing was too much trouble.

My parents have returned from their trip today. They have had the most wonderful time and without a shadow of a doubt the highlight of their trip was their stay in Knysna. My dad actually said 'I cannot think of one single fault about Candlewood Lodge. I give it a hundred out of a hundred!' They now consider Graham and Joyce as friends! Indeed, Graham and Joyce joined them on an outing one day and my parents had the most fantastic day out. They were particularly delighted when it turned out that Joyce had brought tea along for them all!
I have had lengthy detailed accounts of the beautiful room they stayed in, the beautiful bathroom with huge walk-in shower, the absolutely stunning to-die-for views across the lagoon from both their room and the deck at the back of the guesthouse, and the wonderful breakfasts. My mother was impressed by the attention to detail and how spotlessly clean everything was.
Most of all was the hospitality of Graham and Joyce. On my parents arrival they all sat around and had tea and chatted like old friends and discussed what my parents would like to do during their stay. It seems there are few things in and around Knysna that my parents didn't squeeze into 3 days, and then it was back to the Lodge for a couple of drinks late evening.

To summarize, Graham and Joyce are tremendous fun, warm and welcoming and will bend over backwards to help you in any way that they can. The lodge has a fantastic location and is meticulously maintained. My mother's disability was not an issue at all. Although they may not be at the cheap end of the accommodation market, they are not remotely expensive either and I feel that their prices are fantastic value for the level of service and facilities provided. Graham and Joyce, I can't thank you enough.

• Liked — Warm hospitality, views
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aisles
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2008

Well, what can we say? We had a FANTASTIC stay at Candlewood Lodge, by far the best place we stayed at in South Africa.

The hosts Joyce and Graham were so kind to us, offering help & advice above and beyond the usual, including local travel advice, booking restaurants with the best tables, even giving us a lift into town! The honeymoon suite was amazing, decorated to such a high standard and everwhere was so clean. We had a wonderful view out to the Knysna heads and a nice balcony to enjoy it from. The pool area was a real bonus too, a lovely place to relax. The breakfasts were delicious and very substantial.

Well done Joyce & Graham, you've created a wonderful haven for tourists on the Garden Route!! We would definitely recommend this guest house to everyone.

• Liked — The incredible service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SafariSussex
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2008

The highlight of our recent holiday in South Africa has to be our stay at Candlewood Lodge Knysna . It is the best Bed and Breakfast we have ever stayed in and it well deserves its five stars.
Our room was beautifully decorated, and we had a fabulous view across the lagoon to the Heads. We enjoyed swimming in the pool and relaxing in the jacuzzi.

The breakfast was delcious with fresh fruit juice and fresh fruit salad as well as a selection of cereals, followed by a Full English Breakfast and home made bread.

Joyce and Graham are excellent hosts, they made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them.

We Will Be Back

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank roscoDerbyshire
Surrey - UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2008

On a first visit to Knysna it was not easy to select good quality accomodation and location. Fortunately we couldn't have picked better. The Candlewood Guest House had been open for 4 months and all of the decor and furnishings are of high quality and have been tastefully selected. Location is ideal - a five minute journey by car to the centre of town. The view from several rooms is of the entire Knysna bay. Breakfast is provided with fresh fruit, cereals and cooked full English. The South African Tourism Board awarded 5 stars. The English owners, Joyce and Graham, are very hospitable and make guests feel really comfortable. WOULD WE STAY AGAIN? YES

• Liked — Splendid views
  • Disliked — There was nothing that we disliked
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GreyhoundSurrey