“Lagoon Beach Hotel does not deserve the four star rating.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Milnerton
Aalborg, Denmark
“Lagoon Beach Hotel does not deserve the four star rating.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

Two stars is for me the correct rating.

Today I ordered a drink in the bar, one from the menu card. It took around 40 minutes to bring me this.

Later I went to the Restaurant “The Brasserie”, but was told that again this evening the restaurant was closed for hotel guests. Two out tree evenings the restaurant was booked for arrangements, and at the front desk they were giving me the impression that it will be like that for the remaining part of this week. That means that I have to go to the pub and stand up to get a dinner, which might work for people on vacation, but not for me as I’m on a job down here.

I was advised to go to another restaurant and was told by reception staff that this restaurant was part of the hotel, and hence they could charge this to my room, but this was not true! This Restaurant is rented by foreigners to the hotel; and no cooperation’s existed, was the message from Restaurant Manager.

When I came back from the restaurant in the backyard (and for sure with no view to the sea); my door could not open. Went down to get this fixed twice, and on the second attempt a waiter followed me to the room, and the waiter opened the door with his super card as the new fresh made card did not work at all. Now the door is open (held by a small stone) and can not be locked or closed, and the Hotel did not offer me another room.

I left the hotel after waiting in tree days to the hotel to fix the door, despite this the door was not fixed.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Torben H
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
Dear Torben Holmelund

I am very surprised that you have made these comments on TA after having met and spoken to me while you were in the hotel. I had explained the reason you were unable to eat in the restaurant was because we were fully booked on the evenings you wanted to dine. I apologise for this but we are a very busy and sucessful hotel and our restaurant is often fully booked. But I am delighted that our staff were able to guide you to Zorba's restaurant. You are quite correct that Zorba's is not owned by the hotel, it is merely leased from the hotel. As I had discussed in our meeting at the hotel, I have brought your issues to their attention.

I must correct you in saying that it was not your bedroom door that was an issue, in fact your bedroom door worked perfectly well and therefore posed absolutely no security risk.

Again, Torben I am truely surprised you felt the need to write what you have as all of your comments were dealt with efficiently and effectively at the hotel.

In saying that, I am truely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and as per our conversation at the hotel, I have offered you compensation for your trouble and I do hope you take us up on this.

Lagoon Beach Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pinner, London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

The hotel is a convenient 20min drive from airport. The travel company located in the hotel was supposed to pick us up from airport but didn't show up. When we called them they said the reservation was cancelled but that was surprising as we had not cancelled it. Anyway they got someone to pick us up and offered a free return transfer back to airport which was a nice gesture.

Check in was fine and were given sea facing room on 1st floor. However no information was given regarding times of breakfast, eating options, other amenities etc. Generally the reception staff were corteous and helpful.

The room was fairly large with breathtaking views of the beach and table mountain. The balcony was huge with 2 chairs. However the cleanliness of the room was concerning. There was dust on the bottom of skirting boards and edge of carpets, carpets were not hoovered well, the cushions had stains on them, etc. Through our 5 day stay, cleanliness was an issue and it seemed the carpet was never vaccumed. Also the rooms do look a bit tired and do need some updating. The flat screen TV on the wall was huge and had a good range of channels to choose from.

Service in bar on a few days was very slow and staff looked quite stressed.One evening we ordered some margaritas and it took them nearly half an hour to serve our drinks. The reason given was one of the barman called in sick and hence there was only one person to prepare cocktails. Surely a hotel of this size and rating should have more people trained in this area. Anyway to compensate for the inconvenience, the duty manager offered us free drinks.

Breakfast was adequate with a range of hot and cold options. However I was surprised to see no breakfast potatoes eg. hash browns on offer. I would suggest this to be added to their menu. They did prepare me some after I asked for them on 2 days.We had lunch at the beach cafe once which was nice. Had meals twice at the on-site thai restaurant which was excellent. However the other restaurant Zorba's was disappointing due to poor service.

The hotel provided free shuttle to the waterfront about 4-5 times per day and has to be pre-booked at the travel centre. We had no problems with this service.

On the whole this hotel is worth visiting mainly because of the excellent scenic location and I would certainly stay here again if it improves in the 2 main areas mentioned above i.e. service and cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear rishigudka

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TA. As a hotel that is always wanting to improve our guests’ experience, this type of constructive critism is vital to us.

Within the hotel the travel company (Exotic Tours) and Zorba's Restaurant is outsourced. I will be having a word with the owner of both regarding your experience.

My sincerest apologies with regards to the service of your drinks in La Mizu but I am delighted that our duty manager was able to assist and ensure that you were looked after. We are currently retraining all bar staff.

The fact that your room was not up to standard is quite embarrassing, you can be assured that we take this very seriously and I will be addressing this as a matter of urgency.

I am glad, however, that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and I do look forward to welcoming you back to Lagoon Beach in the near future where I'm sure you will experience the fine food and service we are aiming to deliver.

Lagoo Beach Hotel Staff and Management
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

We arrived at this hotel with a certain amount of trepidation, having read some of the former reviews. We were booked on two separate weeks, the first stay being in one of the hotel's three apartments in the next door complex with fabulous views of the ocean. We were given a 2 bedroom apartment for the 2 of us which was excellent value for money and was beautifully clean with very good quality bedlinen.
We came back a day early for our second stay and the staff at reception bent over backwards to find us a room at an excellent rate. One slight hitch was that the system had lost our booking for the next 4 days, but reservations managed to find us the most wonderful room just a beach width away from the ocean. Fabulous! We had views right over to the V&A Waterfront across the bay and Table Mountain to our left.
All the staff deserved a pat on the back for their helpful, smiling service and we even went as far as to buy a little thank you present for two of them for their outstanding help! I think maybe that their computer system needs a bit of updating, but you can be sure of a good welcome and superb service from the staff.
Try the Wang Thai restaurant next door too.....wonderful and very reasonably priced food.
For the writers who said the pool was a little small, there is a second one on the roof top.
We had a hire car to get into the city which was probably better than relying on taxis and courtesy buses.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dear woods01

Thank you very much for your comments. Its alway wonderful to hear when our guests enjoy their stay. I will definitely be passing on your good comments to our staff.

Please keep an eye out on our website for specials and we hope to be welcoming you back to Lagoon Beach Hotel very soon.

Lagoon Beach Staff and Management
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

Hotel was overbooked on the night we checked in but hotel manager sorted a penthouse for us instead for ist night.Nice hotel next to lovely beach.lovely escape!!

• Stayed January 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear Birminghamy

Thank you for your comments. i am delighted to hear that you were well looked after by our staff at Lagoon beach Hotel. We try very hard to improve our customer service each and every day.

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago while on business in Cape Town. My assistant had booked the room and I was a bit worried that I would be too far from the CBD. Turned out it wasn't so far after all and was only a short hop in a taxi. The views were great and it was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of the city in the evening. Service, rooms, food were all OK. It was windy on the beach however it was windy throughout all of Cape Town (a tree fell over in the middle of the CBD while I was there!). All in all an acceptable stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Dear biztravel186605

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TA. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay here with us at Lagoon Beach Hotel and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future. We are always striving to improve our guests exeprience and will continue to do so.

Lagoon Beach Hotel management
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

Embarrassing that this hotel has a 4 star rating, boderline 3 star on a good day. Not a luxury hotel as advertised.
Every table in the breakfast room is damaged or broken, every chair stained. Shower tiles in room broken, air conditioning unit had to be fixed. Staff service is extremely poor. Stay away.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Dear Bjhb_11

I was dissapponted to read your comments on TA and the accusation of Lagoon Beach Hotel being a "borderline 3 star" hotel. It is simply not true that every chair in the hotel is stained and that every table in the breakfast room is damaged or broken.

But I am truely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you felt the need write this review on TA. We at Lagoon Beach Hotel strive to offer our guests a positive experience when staying with us and on this occasion we do not seem have fulfilled your expectations.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

“I recently stayed at Lagoon Beach Hotel whilst visiting an old friend who I spent a year with on Erasmus. I had never been to South Africa before so obviously I was very excited! I heard about Lagoon Beach from my cousin who described the views from the pool deck as the best in Cape Town. Well, she was right. As soon as I arrived, I was captivated by the incredible views of Table Mountain and Robben Island. The hotel staff were extremely friendly, whilst the choice of quality food satisfied my large appetite. The standard of my room was equally impressive. Having a separate toilet from the bathroom was an extra treat and a surprise considering I was in a standard room for one. Overall, I was very happy with my choice of hotel. My cousin was equally happy when I brought her back a vuvuzela to say thanks for the great recommendation!”

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear mbreen20

Thank you for your review on TA. We certainly have a fantastic view of Table Mountain and I'm delighted that your cousin recommended you stay with us. I trust that now you will be returning back to South Africa on a yearly basis to enjoy all we have to offer in this beautiful country of ours and I hope you will come back and visit us at Lagoon Beach when you return.

Keep an eye on our website and we continually run specials and hopefully these will fit in with your return trip one day. Once again, thank you for your positive feedback.

Lagoon Beach Hotel Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milnerton
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside
Cape Town Marriott Hotel Crystal Towers
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 106 in Cape Town Central
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,636 reviews
South Beach Camps Bay
South Beach Camps Bay
#2 of 12 in Camps Bay
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#68 of 106 in Cape Town Central
The Hyde All-Suite Hotel
The Hyde All-Suite Hotel
#26 of 106 in Cape Town Central

Been to Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!