I booked and checked into the hotel on 3 March. First my booking could not be found but Jacob got me an apartment for my stay. I was tired from traveling and only noticed the nest day that I was charged for a sea facing apartment but ended up in a lagoon facing one. This got rectified on day 3 of my stay after my incessant nagging....but I should have stayed where I was. The hotel and apartments are separate establishments, but you can book both through the hotel...or so they said at front desk of apartments. I also got charged a no show fee on the lost booking, but I still need to sort this out...so may review my review next week.
The lagoon facing apartment I stayed in was on first floor and quite sheltered from the wind. In windy blouberg, this is awesome! All apartments have to bedrooms and bathrooms with a lounge, dinette and full kitchen. Beware though, you get either a washing machine OR dishwasher....not both as advertised. Apartment 128 had a washing machine which came in handy. Big fridge which helps and most crockery and utensils. Funny enough, I could not find a bottle opener in either of the apartments I stayed in...wine or crown. There's also no aircon in the apartments. I slept with the windows open which helped. I would not recommend this on the ground floor units as the premises is easily accessible from the beach area and in my opinion security does not circle quickly enough to completely mitigate this risk. The pro is that there's very little between the property and the beach, which was awesome!
Apartment 113, the sea facing one, had the dishwasher which I never used. It also smelled very musty and the culprit was the carpet in the lounge. I felt like throwing it off the balcony, but instead opted to keep the windows open. No tv in main bedroom like the other unit, and no extra mirrors...only in bathroom. Shower pressure was great, but shower had moldy spots! I'm a bit OCD so this freaked me out.
Overall the units are great value for money and comfortable for a family of four. Housekeeping does slack a bit, but standards are better than most hotels I've been in overseas.
This area is a bit out of the way, but that's my preference. The newly completed metro bus route stops in the main road about 200m from the hotel and goes to the city centre and waterfront. I didn't use it as I had a car, but there were plenty tourists using it and I must admit it looked great. If you do have a car, the hotel offers free underground parking.
Breakfast was overpriced, but the variety was good. There are plenty of cafes further into blouberg on the beachfront at half the price for a decent breakfast. You can't beat the views from the hotel restaurant though. I also had dinner with friends at the onsite restaurant, and although on the pricy side, the food was excellent.
The beach bar is a disaster though! Avoid at all costs. Cocktails we ordered looked like something poured out of a box. The f&b manager Martin, after I complained, then went and personally remade all our cocktails and it was 200% better. Serious training issue with barmen! Other patrons also complained about warm beer and flat draught beer. I could see a mile away that beer was warm and flat...bar man seemed oblivious! The prices at the bar are steep...so fight for a decent drink! It's a pity as the views and sunsets are to die for. This place could be a gold mine.
Special thanks to Jacob and Martin for their assistance. The staff really does go out of their way when things go wrong. I'll keep you posted on my refund mentioned earlier.
You can't beat this hotel for proximity to the beach and value because of that. Although the place was fully booked there was no noise evident from other rooms and corridors were quiet. DND or service sign was always obeyed.
The spa was nothing out of this world, but it was good. I used it because of convenience rather than some distinguishing quality or service. Pools were always clean, no deck chairs at pool next to spa though.
Thanks for a lovely stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lagoon Beach Hotel offers unequalled vistas of Table Mountain and Atlantic Ocean. Immersed in an atmosphere of contemporary minimalist design and neutral tones, reflecting the natural surrounding environment. Decor is typical of a stylishly appointed modern city hotel. The hotel's 32 beach frontage deluxe suites offer a breathtakingly unique oceanside experience. Ten minutes from Cape Town's Waterfront, with direct access to the beach. Abalone Brassiere is a culinary delight to savour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lagoon Beach Hotel And Apartments
- Lagoon Beach Milnerton
- Lagoon Beach Hotel Apartments
- Lagoon Beach Apartments
- Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa Cape Town/Milnerton