“Excellent stay at Lagoon Beach Hotel - we’ll be back!”

Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Milnerton
Reviewed 10 March 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Lagoon Beach Hotel for nine days during February 2013 and we are pleased to report an excellent stay!

The hotel room was not sea view but overlooked a pretty courtyard garden with palm trees and a stream. It was very pleasant to sit on the balcony on an afternoon.

The hotel room was clean, tidy and modern. Housekeeping visited everyday to replace sheets, towels and bottles of water.

The hotel staff are extremely friendly and everyone greeted us with a smile – from the restaurant/bar workers to the staff on reception. They were extremely attentive and happy to help. We often ate at the hotel (Brasserie and La Mizu) and although there is not a great deal of variety, the quality of the food was exceptional. The English Breakfast is first class! We also sampled the two onsite restaurants; Zorbas and Wang Thai which were also very good.

The underground parking is convenient and there is 24-hour manned security. WiFi is easily accessible too.

The hotel is positioned 10-minutes drive away from the main town but it is easily accessible by the free shuttle service ran by the hotel. The hotel is situated on a beach which is clean and offers perfect views of table mountain – we watched some stunning sunsets! It can be very windy.

There is a rooftop pool and a pool nearby the bar and restaurant – both were very quiet when we visited the hotel. I enjoyed a massage at the Camelot Spa which was very relaxing.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Lagoon Beach Hotel and we can’t wait to return for a second visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
LagoonBeachTeam, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Caribbean_dream3

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. It is always wonderful to read positive reviews like you’re and gives great confidence to all employees as we endeavour to continuously improve our offering.

We hope to see you again soon and impress you once again.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I booked and checked into the hotel on 3 March. First my booking could not be found but Jacob got me an apartment for my stay. I was tired from traveling and only noticed the nest day that I was charged for a sea facing apartment but ended up in a lagoon facing one. This got rectified on day 3 of my stay after my incessant nagging....but I should have stayed where I was. The hotel and apartments are separate establishments, but you can book both through the hotel...or so they said at front desk of apartments. I also got charged a no show fee on the lost booking, but I still need to sort this out...so may review my review next week.

The lagoon facing apartment I stayed in was on first floor and quite sheltered from the wind. In windy blouberg, this is awesome! All apartments have to bedrooms and bathrooms with a lounge, dinette and full kitchen. Beware though, you get either a washing machine OR dishwasher....not both as advertised. Apartment 128 had a washing machine which came in handy. Big fridge which helps and most crockery and utensils. Funny enough, I could not find a bottle opener in either of the apartments I stayed in...wine or crown. There's also no aircon in the apartments. I slept with the windows open which helped. I would not recommend this on the ground floor units as the premises is easily accessible from the beach area and in my opinion security does not circle quickly enough to completely mitigate this risk. The pro is that there's very little between the property and the beach, which was awesome!

Apartment 113, the sea facing one, had the dishwasher which I never used. It also smelled very musty and the culprit was the carpet in the lounge. I felt like throwing it off the balcony, but instead opted to keep the windows open. No tv in main bedroom like the other unit, and no extra mirrors...only in bathroom. Shower pressure was great, but shower had moldy spots! I'm a bit OCD so this freaked me out.

Overall the units are great value for money and comfortable for a family of four. Housekeeping does slack a bit, but standards are better than most hotels I've been in overseas.

This area is a bit out of the way, but that's my preference. The newly completed metro bus route stops in the main road about 200m from the hotel and goes to the city centre and waterfront. I didn't use it as I had a car, but there were plenty tourists using it and I must admit it looked great. If you do have a car, the hotel offers free underground parking.

Breakfast was overpriced, but the variety was good. There are plenty of cafes further into blouberg on the beachfront at half the price for a decent breakfast. You can't beat the views from the hotel restaurant though. I also had dinner with friends at the onsite restaurant, and although on the pricy side, the food was excellent.

The beach bar is a disaster though! Avoid at all costs. Cocktails we ordered looked like something poured out of a box. The f&b manager Martin, after I complained, then went and personally remade all our cocktails and it was 200% better. Serious training issue with barmen! Other patrons also complained about warm beer and flat draught beer. I could see a mile away that beer was warm and flat...bar man seemed oblivious! The prices at the bar are steep...so fight for a decent drink! It's a pity as the views and sunsets are to die for. This place could be a gold mine.

Special thanks to Jacob and Martin for their assistance. The staff really does go out of their way when things go wrong. I'll keep you posted on my refund mentioned earlier.

You can't beat this hotel for proximity to the beach and value because of that. Although the place was fully booked there was no noise evident from other rooms and corridors were quiet. DND or service sign was always obeyed.

The spa was nothing out of this world, but it was good. I used it because of convenience rather than some distinguishing quality or service. Pools were always clean, no deck chairs at pool next to spa though.
Thanks for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Rooms above beach bar are noisy from what other travelers I met say. Have a look at the apartment if...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Natalie J
LagoonBeachTeam, General Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear amigada

Thank you for your lengthy review and I certainly hope that the “no show” charge was sorted out. If not please contact me on gm@lagoonbeachhotel.co.za .

Overall I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but you have pointed out some areas for us to address and you can be assured that I will do just that. We are embarking on a soft refurbishment of our apartments and I will ensure that Martin train all bar staff on making proper cocktails.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again and we look forward to it.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Lagoon Beach Hotel. Staff were very friendly especially in La Mizu Beach Bar. Reception staff were a great help when we were trying to track down our lost luggage! Our room was comfortable - we loved the bathroom! The free shuttle bus to the V&A Waterfront is a great idea. All in all a great holiday and a lovely hotel on the beach. Definitely visit again.

2  Thank LMHUGHES24

Dear LMHUGHES24

Wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your positive feedback to the staff.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 25 February 2013

It really is a great hotel with an amazing staff.
The only problem is it's quite far from everything, I mean everything...
The hotel restaurant is outrageously priced and the Greek restaurant next door is awful.
So the only other dining option is a Thai restaurant (3min walk), which is really good.

The pool and the spa is very good, of course the view of Cape Town is absolutely breath taking. The complimentary breakfast is very good as well.

The only down side of this hotel is it's location...

Room Tip: If you're gonna stay here, try an get a room with a view...very hard to get, have to book very e...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Dear F35Captain

Thank you for your comments and I really glad that you think we have a great hotel with amazing staff. It is always encouraging to read positive reviews.

I’m sorry that you did not enjoy your meal at Zorbas, one of our outsourced restaurants but I will ensure to inform the owner of this.

I hope you were able to make use of our free shuttles so that Cape Town was more accessible to you.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

My wife and I spent 3 x nights in a Junior Suite. The room was not quite ready on our arrival, On an inspection of the suite, we found that out of 3 patio doors (yes 3) only one was able to be opened, and this with extreme difficulty, even more so when the adjoining window fell apart !We duly managed to get the maintainence chap out who did his best to fix it, However we could not lock the balcony door during our stay. The entire suite needs a good make over, the curtains were not connected to the rail properly, carpets were frayed, a standard lamp was ripped.
However, the suite itself was fine, no shortage of space, 7, yes 7, wardrobe spaces, 2 x televisions, one huge balcony with the sun and lovely views of Table Mountain and Cape Town with the sea lapping just a few yards away.
The breakfast was extremely good and plentiful, as were the meals, we had both there, and in the Zorba's restaurant just outside (highly reccommended).
If you do stay there it is advisable to have a car, as the city centre is about 10 minutes drive away, parking at the hotel is free, supervised, and hassle free. Canal Walk shopping mall (supposed to be the largest in Africa) is about 10 minutes drive from the hotel and is well worth a visit, if you want to stay in your wife's good books !
We did get looked upon favourable by the friendly staff when it was time to leave, after explaining what we thought should be done, especially regarding our suite.
Hope this review doesn't put people off altogether, as the hotel couldn't be situated in a more quiet location and not bad value for money.

Room Tip: A sea facing room is a must. A suite is really too big for just 2 people, unless you need 2 televisi...
1  Thank HarryPlymouthEngland
LagoonBeachTeam, General Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear HarryPlymouthEngland

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is always good to read positive reviews on our food and service. My sincerest apologies for the maintenance issues you encountered in your room. We are in the process of upgrading our rooms so the next time you visit Cape Town please do not hesitate to contact me on gm@lagoonbeachhotel.co.za and I will make sure you are very well looked after.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I was very surprised to see this modern spacious hotel,where I were booked in on a conference and stayed in a comfortable junior suite.The food was very enjoyable (usually large quatities are not prepared with care )but in this case I was wrong,especially the desserts I highly recommend . I noticed that the hotel cater for the asian market (their needs are fully catered for). The service dissappointed me a bit as the roomservice attendant took my order wrong,then when I refused to pay for her error,slammed the phone in my face . This is something unheard of in the Service Industry (im in the industry myself for 15 years),but a very friendly and attentive Jacob apologized on her behalf. Jacob also called me back the previous day ,to put my mind at ease about my reservation. I love the beautuful setting,not traffic noise at night,good food ,comfortable room,beautiful views . I will certainly visit again..

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear HarryPlymouthEngland

André Turnbull

Also consider these accommodations in or near Milnerton
The Bay Hotel
Cape Town Marriott Hotel Crystal Towers
Bliss Boutique Hotel
Bliss Boutique Hotel
#1 of 7 in Bloubergstrand

Been to Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!