“Great view, everything else OK”

Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Milnerton
Stamford, Connecticut
“Great view, everything else OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago while on business in Cape Town. My assistant had booked the room and I was a bit worried that I would be too far from the CBD. Turned out it wasn't so far after all and was only a short hop in a taxi. The views were great and it was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of the city in the evening. Service, rooms, food were all OK. It was windy on the beach however it was windy throughout all of Cape Town (a tree fell over in the middle of the CBD while I was there!). All in all an acceptable stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Dear biztravel186605

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TA. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay here with us at Lagoon Beach Hotel and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future. We are always striving to improve our guests exeprience and will continue to do so.

Lagoon Beach Hotel management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

Embarrassing that this hotel has a 4 star rating, boderline 3 star on a good day. Not a luxury hotel as advertised.
Every table in the breakfast room is damaged or broken, every chair stained. Shower tiles in room broken, air conditioning unit had to be fixed. Staff service is extremely poor. Stay away.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Dear Bjhb_11

I was dissapponted to read your comments on TA and the accusation of Lagoon Beach Hotel being a "borderline 3 star" hotel. It is simply not true that every chair in the hotel is stained and that every table in the breakfast room is damaged or broken.

But I am truely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you felt the need write this review on TA. We at Lagoon Beach Hotel strive to offer our guests a positive experience when staying with us and on this occasion we do not seem have fulfilled your expectations.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

“I recently stayed at Lagoon Beach Hotel whilst visiting an old friend who I spent a year with on Erasmus. I had never been to South Africa before so obviously I was very excited! I heard about Lagoon Beach from my cousin who described the views from the pool deck as the best in Cape Town. Well, she was right. As soon as I arrived, I was captivated by the incredible views of Table Mountain and Robben Island. The hotel staff were extremely friendly, whilst the choice of quality food satisfied my large appetite. The standard of my room was equally impressive. Having a separate toilet from the bathroom was an extra treat and a surprise considering I was in a standard room for one. Overall, I was very happy with my choice of hotel. My cousin was equally happy when I brought her back a vuvuzela to say thanks for the great recommendation!”

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear mbreen20

Thank you for your review on TA. We certainly have a fantastic view of Table Mountain and I'm delighted that your cousin recommended you stay with us. I trust that now you will be returning back to South Africa on a yearly basis to enjoy all we have to offer in this beautiful country of ours and I hope you will come back and visit us at Lagoon Beach when you return.

Keep an eye on our website and we continually run specials and hopefully these will fit in with your return trip one day. Once again, thank you for your positive feedback.

Richards Bay, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

I always stay at the lagoon beach apartments which are stunning in December 2010 was the first time i stayed on the hotel side and this is just as stunning huge room the bedding is brilliant the bathroom is so big, i would reccommend anyone to stay here there is lots of resturants, pools gym not forgetting the stunning viiew on table mountain

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear SherylMoodley

Thank you so much for your positive review. It's alway very refreshing to hear good comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Lagoon Beach Hotel and also enjoyed the facilities we offer here.

Keep your eye on our website for upcoming specials and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lagoon beach Hotel Management
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

When we arrived on 1 January 2011, our room was not ready so we waited by the pool. Eventually our room was cleaned (although no one bothered to call us) so we changed into our costumes and relaxed by the pool and enjoyed the pretty view. This was however short lived as we had an aggressive and bad tempered waitress who must have been hung over from her new years party. I asked three times for an ashtray and never got one, she said "they are all being used", then she brought us the the wrong bill (it had several additions we did not order), and when the correct bill was brought, she said "Are you going to pay this one?" with hands on hips. When we asked to see the manager, she refused to call him. We were not in the mood to argue, so we went up to our room.
We ordered room service that night, which took over an hour to reach us. When it did, our lamb potjie was in fact chicken! We called Room Service and told them, who told us we don't know what we're talking about! (I am a food photographer, I know what lamb looks and tastes like!) Eventually they said we can order something else, and when dinner eventually reached us, it was 23h30!
Other issues included - only one bath towel provided for 2 people, half a roll of toilet paper for 2 people and non-existent pharmacy facility (what was I do do about the runny tummy the food gave me??)
The hotel itself is decently decorated, nothing original or worth photographing, but comfortable. The service however is what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn.
The best part of our stay there, was checking out.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2011
Dear Rikki_H

I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. We at the Lagoon Beach Hotel pride ourselves on our good food and high standards of customer care. Unfortunately in this case, you don’t seem to have received our usual standard of care and for this I must apologise

I have investigated the points that you raised in your review and indeed it seems that you have highlighted some very valid points and areas where staff retraining may be necessary.

I can assure you that your comments will be dealt with appropriately and immediately. Once again my apologies and when you wish to return please contact me so that I can make sure that your stay is enjoyable.

King regards,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

No atmosphere, had to wait for our luggage 2 hours and 4 phone calls later. We had paid for an executive suite, the room was dull overlooking motorway the windows were that dirty you had to squint to see out side. Reception staff were moody and unhelpful.

The beach was lovely but was so windy that we couldn't relax on it as the sand was hurting our skin so much when it was getting blown on to us!! I thought it may have been just the weather but some local people informed us its a constant windy spot!

Food was amazingly really nice!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank gladiatorlion
NicoKelaidis, Manager at Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued comments.

Lagoon Beach Hotel prides itself in the friendliness and service offered. We are dissappointed to hear that you did not completely enjoy your stay with us. We have read your review and will not take the constructive points lightly, but rather action these points metioned with the relevant training or remedies required to ensure a great experience.

Thank you for the compliments regarding our food Quality and Service.

All the best for the year ahead.

Warm Lagoon Beach regards
Management & Staff of Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

We were excited to stay in a hotel by the beach and chose this one over all other options after checking on the net. In history of my personal leisure travel this was the worst stay ever. To begin with reception staff were a bunch of liars. We requested a change of room, the receptionist informed the hotel was full and she could not oblige. After checking into the room, I argued with other receptinist over phone and promptly the room was changed. During our 3 nights stay, I did not see a single soul in at least 5 rooms around our room. Probably ghosts were staying there. Room service was slow. For amenties that are routinely available in a four star facility, we had to literally ask for those from the room service. And to my horror, sometime we were told curtly, 'not available'. And things would appear after you demand in a raised voice or remind 4-5 times. The room was absolutely dull, morbid, Hardly any decoration. It is located far off from every sightseeing or mall. The cab called by the conceirge cheated us on the meter.
There is nothing to recommend. Absolutely avoidable.
The only silverlining was the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milnerton
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#32 of 106 in Cape Town Central
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,654 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside
Cape Town Marriott Hotel Crystal Towers
South Beach Camps Bay
South Beach Camps Bay
#2 of 12 in Camps Bay
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Sea Point
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#67 of 106 in Cape Town Central
The Hyde All-Suite Hotel
The Hyde All-Suite Hotel
#26 of 106 in Cape Town Central

Been to Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!