“Great place with a nice reception area”

Backpackers Paradise & Joyrides
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

This is a great place, very friendly staff and the location is superb, when you book a trip you get discount vouchers for the cangoo coves (10%) and the ostrich farm (50%). Great biking trip can be taken and the bar with fire place is a nice area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Backpackers Paradise & Joyrides

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

The hostel reception is visually unique and the room was spacious and clean. It is a quiet place. Wifi Internet is slow and only works in reception. We were a little uncomfortable asking the owner questions as he did come off as rude and inpatient when it came to answering our questions.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights and would have loved to stay longer. The people at reception were friendly and helpful, always giving little tips about where to go and what to do. The room was large and had a clean and had a comfortable double bed. Loved the choice of cooking for myself or ordering from the menu. Would love to return for another nights stay on my next trip!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I really enjoyed staying here, it's such a nice place with a really friendly atmosphere. The family running the backpackers are really approachable, helpful and friendly. My boyfriend and I stayed in the dorm area which was really nice with HUGE beds and a clean bathroom area. I have stayed in some pretty small bunks now so trust me when I say that these were luxury :-) they have a kitchen area so you can cook yourself something to eat with several other areas for you to chill in. They also give you complimentary ostrich egg breakfast so you can cook yourself an omelette or something, which was really nice. Although I believe they only do this when its ostrich season. They also have a nice bar area with a fire at night time :-)

We also did the 54KM bike ride with a group we had met whilst staying there and we had great fun. They drop you off at the top of the mountain and you cycle down. We also did the Cango Caves adventure tour on the way back. The scenery on this bike ride was absolutely beautiful and we were lucky to have such a lovely day :-)

Overall I really enjoyed it here and I wish I could have stayed longer. I would highly recommend this backpackers :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We arrived in George by Baz Bus and the shuttle was there on time to pick us up on time. I wasn't sure what to expect, but when we arrived at Backpacker's Paradise, we were pleasantly surprised. It was really homey. The family running it was really nice and accommodating. They immediately arranged our tours for the next day and began grilling ostrich for our dinner that night - fantastic by the way. It was just a great place to relax. There isn't too much to do in Oudtshoorn (particularly during the time we were there - end of winter/early spring), so I'm glad we only stayed 2 nights - but if you wanted to just relax, you could stay much longer here. The room was exactly what you'd expect from a hostel - clean beds and a bathroom, but there were endless numbers of private areas you could sit and chill - lots of couches, benches, chairs, scattered throughout the property which was gated and felt 100% secure. At night, they'd keep the fire burning (which was near the bar) and we had a chance to socialize with all the other guests and the family. I had a great stay and would definitely do it again! The only confusing thing was the food situation - we weren't ever sure where or when to order breakfast or lunch... the kitchen always had people in it, but they hardly ever asked if we needed anything or really even looked at us when we walked up. Maybe consider putting a sign up "Order Here" - but the food was fantastic.

Room Tip: We had a private 3 bed in the big house facing the street. It had a really great balcony overlooking...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I believe in modest places, specially when they give great experiences. Doing the "Garden Route", from 3 backpackings in different cities, it was the best I had enjoyed it with my friends.
The room was comfortable and big (enought space for 3 girls), the bed was just like "home".
Even at the small bar, it was good for making some friends from other countries, playing at the pool table.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had a great experience all around. The owner was so accommodating and helped us set up all the activities we wanted to do. Backpackers Paradise has their own daily bike trips that leave every morning where they drop you off at one of 3 spots on the way up a mountain and then you get bike back down. If you are wanting hardcore mountain biking on dirt trails, this isn't it; it was more of a leisurely ride down a nice paved road. This hostel gets you discounts at local attractions, so we took the bike shuttle up to the Cango caves and road down to the hostel from there, stopping at the Cango Ostrich Farms. And both of those stops were awesome!! The hostel had a big kitchen with lots of dishes and cooking space to use, parking in a locked gated area so it felt very secure, and a restaurant as well as a bar with wifi.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends