“This place has got style”
Review of The Colony

The Colony
Ranked #12 of 47 Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Trip advisor, could you remove the question in the form that the reviewer sees about 'is this one of the best meals you have ever had''' etc. It's a meaningless generalised question that will get meaningless answers. Of course no reviewer is going to say no it's not unless it was absolutely ghastly. (TA do delete this para if you need to)

And now to the review...

You go up this winding staircase to an ante room, very posh my dear, where you can sit and have drinks if you want. There is a lot of variety of seating in the main dining hall. When we arrived there was no one else there mind you, we were only at about 6:30 PM and by the time we left there were about eight diners.

The food was good and substantial. For the moment I forgot what I had but I know I had to leave some because there was so much. I had to turn down the delicious sweet courses because they don't agree with me in the evening (don't laugh you youngsters...you wait to get older, your stomach is more choosy) is

We paid R279 for a three course dinner and I think we had a glass each of wine if I remember.
In UK money that is about £19 with a tip so you can't go wrong really.

On the way out we had a very friendly chat with the receptionist who told us they were booked out solid during the season which is from about mid-October to the end of January. The price rises to about R1600 per night but still good value in my opinion.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We went to "die Kolonie" as the Colony is called, and had excellent food that was well priced, served by a lovely waitress who was as friendly as efficient. The Cape Malay Curry was especially lovely!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We went to the Colony restaurant for dinner and what a lovely experience it was. The atmosphere is old Colonial and very warm. We had an excellent waitress who was there for our every need and the food was tasty and worth it. We really enjoyed our dinner.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Very nice atmosphere, terrific service and wonderful food. We picked the ostrich and the springbok off the menu and both were delicious. I definitely preferred the springbok (stronger taste) over the ostrich (softer) but both were delicious.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

When staying in the Queens Hotel for one night, we ate here and were not disappointed. We all had a three course meal which was enjoyed by all and the desert was especially nice. The lamb was lovely even though the French Fries were slightly disappointing. The mushroom crepes as a starter were to die for though. The service was also very good and they were attentive. A very nice experience.