“If you are disabled, AVOID. If you are able bodied, think twice”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Oudtshoorn
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I am a wheelchair user and booked a handicapped room. I checked with the hotel before we left England and they confirmed in writing -

I have received your e-mail. We have allocated you in a room with a roll in shower.

Kind Regards

Elmarie [--]

GENERAL MANAGER

When we arrived, we discovered that the toilet / shower room door opened into the en-suite and blocked access to the toilet. The 'roll in shower' required a ninety degree turn up a step then through a glass door and was impossible to get in with a wheelchair! My wife tried without me in the chair and failed.

We complained to reception and were told the room was the only one with a roll in shower. The duty manager was not available.

After dismantling part of my (standard size) wheelchair, my wife pushed me backwards into the en-suite, closed the door and pulled me nearer the toilet. She then had to climb over me so I could use the toilet. The sink was just reachable but despite trying very hard, there was no way to get in the shower. After a 6 hour drive, I really needed a shower.

The next morning, we met the manager who told us she was aware of the problem and had plans to make changes to allow better access. We told her that the hotel had emailed that a roll-in shower would be provided. She told us that she had sent the email! Elmarie [--] - GENERAL MANAGER

We were not given an apology or any offer of compensation.

I also want to comment on the meals. The evening meal was a buffet. Although we were there early evening, there was only beef available, no other meat.

Breakfast was also a buffet but this time we had a good choice. Service was dreadful, The staff were misserable. We felt sorry for them.

The bedroom was cold and noisy.

Thank goodness we were there for one night only.

Never again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rochesterhouse
ElmarieGoosen, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Goodday Sir,

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused during your stay.

It was not my intention to do you any harm. We had a lot of disabled Guests in that room before, without any problems. I have learned out of this, that we should know what the condition of the Guest is before placing them in that room.

I will do my upmost best to better the disabled rooms.

If you should travel to South Africa again, please contact me. I would like to offer you accommodation as soon as changes to the room has been made.

Have a lovely day!

Elmarie
Protea Hotel Riempie Estate

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate

Reviewed 8 July 2012

The hotel is very poorly equipped and very basic.
The rooms are cold and noisy bad the guests badly controlled.
My son stayed in with my wife and I and we had to continuously ask fir towels etc. We booked online at the supposed cheapest rate - at least $40 more than advertised at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank travelmatt79
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is a bit different to a standard hotel as you stay in cute thatched rondavels .Like many other reviewers we only passed through for one night, but the staff were very friendly and the restaurant food was very good. Immaculate grounds and setting, would have no problem staying again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I spent one night here with a group, and stayed in a chalet which was perfectly acceptable. The pool is small, but OK for a dip. Food was OK (ostrich was on the menu, of course, and was apparently very good), but a bit difficult to see as the restaurant was rather dark.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Worldtravellerxyz
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We usually plan our trips well in advance, but we changed our itinerary at the last minute and end up in Oudtshoorn to find a place to sleep before visiting Cango Caves next morning.

Most of the nice guesthouse were fully booked because of weddings, or too expensive just to spend a night (1500 to 2000 Rands just to sleep the four of us).

So we end up at Protea Riempie paying less than 700R for a small and outdated room, but relatively clean. Kids had fun at the playing ground while we had a little glass of wine in the "back yard".

Since there's a restaurant on site, we decided to go the easy way and dine there. The staff was very kind and the food was OK. We were not expecting much, so we were happy to save a few bucks!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and would have liked longer. Rooms are a bit dated but clean with good air con. 20 min. walk into town. Enjoyed the restaurant and the ostrich was perfectly cooked. Very helpful staff. Peacefull setting with beautifully kept grounds. Small pool, great for cooling off after a hard day at the caves & elephant park.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rdv
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Visited the hotel twice already this year and when I went again for the 3RD time I sweared to myself I'll never go there again. The menu is always the same, they have a few options to choose from, they serve their menu with fried chips and bread always. NO Rice, Pap or Pasta, bread is boring to eat it day in and day out.

Their lunch packs are just awful, they taste like they were prepared in a paraffin filled kitchen.

OH MY GOD< Their rooms have fleas , where can you expect to be bitten by a FLEA in a hotel nogal.

Their boss lady is just NOT PROFESSIONAL she doesn't have a correct way or manner to address other people especially if you're from a different race.

I'll never ever book that so called hotel again, it doesn't deserve to be called a three star hotel, it's far from being that. It hasn't got any extra activities, if you need a gym or any other thing you have to go outside the hotel and do other activities.

The place is just plain boring to be honest.

Room Tip: Most rooms have broken Aircons and fleas.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business