Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Oudtshoorn
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed here on 4th September 2013 as part of a group. Bedroom was ok but heated by just an on wall heater - it was very chilly and the heater took ages to heat the room - very antiquated. No heating in bathroom - miserably cold. I couldn't get the control on the bath to work to convert from bath to shower. I asked at reception for it to be fixed - no one came. I would hate to stay here in their winter. On the plus side, gardens were pleasant and they served a very good meal of ostrich - lovely and tender. Given the choice I would not particularly like to go back to this hotel. Was pleased the stay was only for one night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate

Reviewed 11 September 2013

The hotel is a bit out of town, anyway oudtshoorn itself is considered outskirts of other town, so if one looking for a peace and quiet place, this is a right place to be. The building could be considered as authentic African design with chalets and rondavels ( even the roof is made traditional way). Room quite spacious and well equipped.
Breakfast buffet was quite variety and even serve halal food ( good point for Muslim traveller)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here in August 2013 - we had booked a standard room - it did not reflect the picture in the brochure. The room was very tired with broken tiles on the floor and poor plumbing fixtures, We upgraded to a better room and that was a better standard. . Unfortunately, the welcome on arrival was not what we expect from an SA hotel - lack lustre at best. On a positive note, staff at breakfast were friendly and the bed was very comfortable and linen good

Room Tip: Don;t book a chalet !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This was one of 5 Protea hotels that my friend and I stayed in during our drive from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth last week. Although the rooms we had were our favourites of all 5 hotels, the service I'm afraid was the worst. I'll start with the positives...
Lovely location - out of town but literally a 3 minute drive so not too much of a problem. Due to the out of town location, it's very peaceful and the grounds were immaculately kept. The 'pet' ostriches were a nice surprise and provided many laughs every time we went close to them and the male started doing his mating dance! The rooms were lovely - clean and compact - but felt very homely. We didn't quite understand the need for the saloon bar style doors but that's neither here nor there.

Now the negatives.....
The lady on reception was about as helpful as a chocolate teapot. She seemed more interested in applying her bright red lipstick than in helping or showing any kind of interest whatsoever. We had wi-fi issues whilst we were there (we arrived around 5pm and left at around 11am the following morning and there was no wi-fi the whole time!). When I called her to ask if there was an issue, she just said "no. Seems to be working. Keep trying". Which I did - for hours to no avail. In the end, I went over to the reception area thinking the signal might be better there and again, couldn't get online. She shrugged and told me to try the bar area. Another 15 mins in there again with no luck. Upon leaving the bar I was greeted with another guest who was making the same complaint and the response from our friend on reception was "I'll tell the I.T guys to look at it in the morning". Not very helpful when it was 6pm! I went back to my room and tried using the phone to make a long distance call to the UK - it didn't work! I called reception and asked if there was a problem and was again told "no". In the end, I got in the car and drove into town to use a phone box. So no wi-fi and no phone working. Not really good enough I'm afraid. Whilst certain aspects of the hotel were lovely - and the rate was indeed very reasonable, these little issues have to be worked on if you want to encourage people back. Some customer service training for the employee in the lipstick might also be a good idea as she wasn't the best person to have as the face of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank deano76
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We were travelling back to Cape Town and came across The Protea in the town of Oudtshoorn. This is a long way out of the town so there is no chance to have a walk or shop without going back in a car. The price advertised on the gate was around our budget so we went to reception. Oh no they said that's for a single room. So once again the traveller is duped into thinking that they have a good price when in fact it is not that price for a room at all. She did in fact offer us a very good room which we accepted and we enjoyed our stay with dinner in the hotel in the evening. So their ambiguous banner reeled us in and caught the fish! We had the afternoon to sit by the pool and relax and it was so peaceful and quiet with just bird song. Each room is in fact a little cottage with a car space outside. If you want a peaceful night and a quiet environment this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NevMavis
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed at the hotel on Thursday night and as most of the other reviewers said, it has all the neccessary details needed for a hotel in this price range and for its rating ie clean rooms, decent linen and towels, nice toiletries in the bathrooms, a TV with an adequate selection of channels, coffee and tea in the rooms etc.

But what really did it for me was the setting and layout of the rooms/rondavels in the extensive gardens and sitting on my little patio early in the morning with a warm mug of coffee watching the birds wake up to a new day! We were in a quiet corner (Chalet no 32) and had absolutely no noise around us except bird calls and maybe a far off guest starting his car.

We saw that the hotel was busy on the night we stayed and I think especially for families travelling with kids, this would be a great option as there's space to run around in before settling down for the night.

We didn't eat at the hotel at all as our booking didn't include breakfast and we thought the quoted amount of R125 pp for breakfast was a bit of a rip-off + there are various quaint options in town, which are quite a bit cheaper. However, not to detract from the venue, we really had no complaints and loved the setting and night we spent there.

Room Tip: Chalets from 28-34 seem to be in a quieter corner of the complex with more privacy as it faces towa...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CapeTownCobie
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Cute hotel and liked by most of my tourists. One day only.Staff helpful and alwyas there for you. Food is average, but it is hotel food. Plenty of restaurants in the area.Can be noisy, as you have roosters at 02h30, Osriches barking and the balloon flying over at 05h00. Value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business