“Fantastic Service”

Ranked #9 of 75 Oudtshoorn B&B and Inns
Ontario, Canada
“Fantastic Service”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We recently spent one short night at the guest house, and it was most memorable. From the welcome drink, to the lovely evening meal which included Ostrich was fabulous. An interesting and informative tour of the farm was offered by the owner, and we learnt much about the farm, the history of the area, and its people. Our rental vehicle was washed and cleaned by the time we were ready to leave. That was a surprising treat. The staff definitely take pride in their work!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at the guest house, we were a party of 4 adults and were accommodated in the Plume cottage our accomm consisted of 2 bedrooms one with en suite separate bathroom and a sitting room. We would like to have been able to leave our windows open at night to capture the breezes Aussie style however there were no screens but this may also be a security issue. The breakfasts were delicious and Corlu was the perfect host. We enjoyed the history of the farm and views from our verandah to the mountains.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Whyalla

Thank you so much for your beautiful review!! Believe me when i say we really enjoyed having you as our guests! (4 Friends from 2 continents... See, we do remember you!!)

I'm always happy to hear that people had an enjoyable stay with us. As for the screens in front of the windows... NOT the prettiest attachment ever - it does spoil the view somewhat as well! We've had some rain in the weeks prior to your arrival (Which we are very thankful for!) and that is the main reason why you could not leave your windows open "Aussie style" - the mozzies would've carried you away "SA style"!!

Thank you for your kind comments - much appreciated!!

Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here two nights ago and, all in all, enjoyed our stay. This place has impeccable service! The staff were friendly and very anxious to please. The breakfast buffet was very good and served in a beautifully furnished room. Now for the reason that I rate this Guest House "Very Good" instead of "Excellent": the bathroom and shower. The room otherwise was very nice, but the bathroom was small and the shower didn't drain properly. Lastly, the WiFi doesn't work properly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TourGuide-KEVIN

Thank you so much for your positive review! We really appreciate the kind words and are happy to hear you had a nice stay with us!!

Another big thank you for your constructive critisism: The bathroom in question is on our list of urgent renovations!! We are planning to enlarge the bathroom to add a bath tub as well, so you will have to come give it another try !! We have sorted out the drainage of the shower - thank you for letting us know!! WiFi is still a problem... We have added another tower, as well as two boosters and it still fluctuates between a very strong signal the one moment and close to nothing the next... Out technician is working on it as we speak!! The biggest problem however is the fact that the "mother tower" is on the wrong side of the Outeniqua mountains...

Untill we meet again!

Crete, Greece
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

The position of La Plume is amazing, the accommodation is beautiful and the staff very friendly, helpful and efficient. We stayed here for three nights and had a meal each evening. My only very minor complaint is the evening meals were a bit repetitive.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Corlu N, Manager at La Plume, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Rikbarb (my friends with a house on a hill on an island!)

Thank you so much for your review - we really appreciate it very much!

My apologies for the repetitive dinner menu - we do not have an a la carte menu, the set menu (buffet) is served every night. 99% Of our guests will only dine here once and we want to give them the widest spread possible (choice of 2 starters, 7 salads, 4 meats to choose from for the main course, 5 vegetables and 5 desserts). Since we are having (mostly!) new guests every evening, we have decided to do the set menu buffet. With the town only a 10 min drive away, some of the guests staying for more than 2 nights opt for one of the excellent restaurants in town.

I trust that the rest of your trip through sunny South Africa was everything you expected it to be!!!

North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here on 16th and 17th December 2013 and I loved, loved, loved it. It was my favourite place. Everything was perfect. I have to say on the way there I started reading the notes in our Travel Digest and I was dreading it because in the notes it said that Bartel and Karin had 3 rooms, 3 children, 3 dogs and 3 CATS which I am terrified of. I was picturing going into the reception area and cats all over the place. Instead we were met in the car park by a gentleman (unfortunately I have forgotten his name) Our bags were taken out of the car and taken to our room and we were invited on the veranda for a drink. Then invited to have dinner there or given several menus of local restaurants that they would book for us if we wanted to go. Needless to say we didn't. We had a wonderful meal and excellent service. Our suite was amazing . It was all the trinkets and bric a brac and attention to detail that made it special the complimentary sherry, the pool, everything was perfect. The only very minor negative was that we had asked to have our coffee in the lounge and started chatting with another family for about half an hour then they left and it would have been nice to have had a drink or another coffee but there was a man who kept popping his head around the corner making it very obvious that it was time we went to our room so he could lock up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Corlu N, General Manager at La Plume, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Jennynorthwales

Thank you so much for your kind comments - it is people like you who make all the effort a true pleasure: Thank You!!!

I'm glad you have liked your stay with us! (We are only a flight away, so do come visit us again!!) I'm sorry that you have experienced the attention you got from the waitron as a sign to go to bed!! That was never the intention. You were of course more than welcome to order another drink or some coffee. He was popping around the corner at regular intervals to make sure you don't "run dry" - just because we're situated in a semi desert does not mean your throats should feel like a semi desert! And just for the record: He doesn't lock up, I DO!! I live in the main house, so i lock up when everyone had gone to bed. Next time: ORDER your drink, we will never tell you it's too late!!!

I hope the rest of your trip through South Africa was a memorable one!

Kindest regards
Corlu (the gentleman who met you at the car!)
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The only slightly disappointing stay during our South Africa trip was the stop in Oudtshoorn. The staff here were very 'efficient' but not anywhere near as friendly as other hotels. We were keen to see ostriches and as we were staying on an ostrich farm that offered tours we thought we would take the opportunity to go on the farm tour. Unfortunately we came away from this tour feeling a little ripped off, the over priced tour ended up being a 30 minute drive along the main road looking at the fields from the car and not really getting to see ostriches.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We arrived here at 9 pm, after a long long drive from Cape Town. We were hungry and grumpy to have missed the ostrich dinner, which my husband and I had been thinking about all day. However, our grumpiness soon faded when we saw our beautiful room (think antiques and colonial, bursting with character) and were met by a lovely member of staff. I'm afraid I've forgotten his name, but he was an absolute star. He told us to relax in the lovely gazebo and returned with wine, a toasted sandwich and dessert. It was literally the most welcomed meal of our entire trip! It was like he knew exactly what would make us feel better. He was the star of the show really. He also recommended a visit to the cango wildlife ranch, which was a highlight of our trip.

You can't go wrong with La Plume in my opinion.

And my husband has just reminded me that although we were there for only one short night, our car was washed for us! Another example of great service.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Corlu N, General Manager at La Plume, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dearest drfi007

FINALLY!!! Someone who sees me for what i really am: an absolute star!!! LOL!!! ;-)

Thank you so much for your kind words and the lovely review - much appreciated! My Gran always used to say: "It's easy being nice to NICE people!" It was an absolute treat having you here and we are eagerly awaiting your return visit (perhaps with a slightly earlier check-in? Just kidding. My main concern is only that our guests arrive safely, regardless of the time!).

Thank you once again, but I must add that I work with a really special bunch of people who all take pride in their work - and if the guests are happy, we are happy!!!

Kindest regards,