“An interesting one!”

De Zeekoe Guest Farm
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Our first night was in a standard room, not sure why as booked luxury via Trailfinders but was not aware of the varying standards at first. Kept awake by air con unit which we mentioned next morning and they straight away offered a move to luxury room, which was much more comfortable and appreciated. Dinner in restaurant for me was good ( ostrich) but my wife's spaghetti was terrible and huge. Dessert also averidge . We also felt breakfast was below parr compared to other we have been enjoying so far in SA. The meerkat experience was fantastic, you simply have to do it! All staff in hotel were friendly and efficient . Maybe we had been spoilt and also the weather was not great !

Room Tip: Make sure you get the newer luxury rooms!

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Excellent service from the staff, the room was mafnificant.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

If you are staying here, you absolutely have to do the Meerkat tour. It's an early start, but don't let it put you off. The experience is amazing, and it's clear just how passionate the guide is about his family!

The food was also exceptional - definitely the place to try an Ostrich fillet for dinner! Breakfast was also nice, with a good mix of unusual hot options.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

In October I was lucky enough to stay at De Zeekoe for 3 nights. We were very impressed by the fantastic room overlooking the reeded riverbed, with it's captivating variety of birdlife. The room itself is beautifull, with a 4-poster bed and the softest linnen immaginable. The attention to detail is amazing and everything one could want is provided. A very tasty breakfast is served and we also enjoyed the dinner we had one of the evenings. The other meals we had in Oudtshoorn, which is only 10 minutes drive away.

Oudtshoorn has a lot to see and do, but for me the Meerkat tour, arranged by De Zeekoe will remain one of the highlights of my travels in SA. To see these amazing creatures in their natural habitat and have the guide explain their complex social interaction, was amazing.

Our thanx to Paula and her friendly team for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlooking the river are great !
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Visiting the Meerkats at dawn (up and out at 04:30!) was the absolute highlight of an overall fantastic holiday to South Africa.

Accommodation was good, enjoyed the swimming pool, food was also good.

Very happy to recommend this Guest Farm.

Room Tip: Occasionally the meerkats can go a-hiding - we booked two nights which we needed, as they had gone m...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I stayed at De Zeekoe Guest house only a few weeks ago, as we visited South Africa for my cousins wedding in December 2011. We only stayed for 1 night at De Zeekoe, but I really wish we had stayed longer.

Rooms- Amazing. Beautifully decorated, clean, tidy and unique. I had a wonderful nights sleep, the bed was extreamly comfortable. It had mosquito nets around it, but I loved the way they drew them back as curtains around the bed and placed the bright ostrich feather cushions on the bed. There was cold drinks in the fridge and the whole room was lovely.

Food- I'm a vegetarian and they made a lovely butternut soup for starters and a tomato pasta for main course. The food was great, the hotel staff were extreamly friendly and the service was great. My parents tried ostrich and they said it was very nice and we also tried the local wine. For others who don't like the idea of ostrich, there was also beef.

Pool- was very small but set in a lovely location and the view was stunning. VERY COLD, but not so bad when you get used to the temperature. The sunbed were comfortable the the hotel provides swim towels.

Location- was in the middle of nowhere, however, apon arrival it seemed very peacful and pleasent. We went straight to our rooms (which are also air conditioned!), and outside the rooms are chairs with decorated cushions and a garden with exotic plants.

Its not a very cheap place, but overall I really enjoyed my stay at de zeekoe and I wish i'd had the chance to stay another night. I would deffinetly recommend de zeekoe for a romantic get away or just a peacefull holiday. I would love to go back soon.

Fantastic place!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic!! only downside is there ARE mosquitos, make sure you draw mosquito nets...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I was on a business trip and booked myself and a colleague into the cabins on the De Zeekoe farm. I purposely booked at the cabins as I wanted to get away from the city and the noise...upon arriving at reception I was helped immediately and given directions to the cabins. The further I drove away from civilization the happier I was...it was about 5km away from the main building by means of a dirt road that already gave me the break away feeling I was looking for. When we reached the cabins it was so quiet and peaceful and I could hear the birds in the trees and the wind blowing gently through them. The cabins are real log/wood style cabins with a great built in stone braai area that gives it a real outdoors feel. I found the cabin to be very authentic, clean, neat, and and well stocked with everything you need for a great stay...from mozzi repelant to wood and matches for the fire, all the required cutlery, crockery and electronics i.e. fridge and microwave oven etc...all the utencils needed to prepare my dinner...and most importantly everything we needed for a good old braai...we had a lovely braai that eavening...indoors as the wind was blowing a bit and we decided not use the outdoor braaing facility. While the fire was burning inside we sat on the varanda overlooking the lake...having a drink...and watched many birds flying about and coming in to sleep on the little island in the middle. I really enjoyed my stay at the cabin as it catered perfectly for everything I was looking for...I wanted for nothing and will go back there each time I do this trip...so if you want something that resembles a nice log cabin in the bush away from the concrete jungle I reccommend the cabins. I would like to bring my family here too as we love the outdoors and the cabins really cater for a comfortable stay. If you are looking for a bit of a Karoo farmstyle experience...this is your place...if you want to be pampered and fussed about etc. i suppose you would have to stay at the main building...Enjoy! Riaan Dippenaar.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business