“Relaxed home from home”

Thabile Lodge
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Relaxed home from home”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We, a family with three children, spent a night here en route to the Great Karoo in July and found this a charming spot where we immediately felt relaxed. Upon arrival we were able to watched the Wimbledon tennis finals on a 'big' TV screen and then variously made our way off to the jacuzzi or simply to enjoy the fresh air in this beautiful country environment. The views of the Swartberg are great especially at sunset and the cottages very comfortable. The food was excellent and the comfortable setting for dinner on the stoep worked well, even in winter.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 25 July 2013

As I travel a lot in the course of my duties (I am a tour guide), I will only comment on places that I have been to on several occasions , and where I have always had consistent experiences.
Located on tranquil farm surroundings, Thabile Lodge is the epitome of South African and Karoo hospitality.
From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome by Len – your host – and his team (including their dogs and cats!). Everyone is very attentive yet unobtrusive.
The rooms - which boast particularly comfortable beds -have stunning views of the mountains. They are spacious and decorated in a luxurious rustic-chic style finished off with original art.
Dinners and breakfasts are personally served on the veranda of the main house. On-site chef, Hennie, is a magician in the kitchen, turning out various traditional South African dishes as entrées, mains and desserts. I had by far the best ostrich steaks ever. A well stocked bar with a good selections of wines is available too. Breakfasts are scrumptious with the best fruit juices under the sun.
At the main house there is a pool, mini gym, steam room and a jacuzzi.
Thabile Lodge is the perfect base from which to explore the Little Karoo. You'll want to stay longer!

1 Thank The_TtTG
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Len and Kenny are the perfect hosts, and fabulous to talk to. The setting of the lodge is awesome, peaceful and beautiful. The food is of the highest quality and superbly presented. Our stay was so relaxed and comfortable, and we felt at home and as though we were family. Also, the attention to detail in and around the lodge, as well as in the rooms was outstanding, thus creating a perfect ambiance. We will definitely make this our "Port of Call" in the future.

1 Thank BevBasson
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We were made very welcome from the minute of arrival, nothing was too much trouble. Lovely food and excellent position for sight seeing. Woderful views of the mountains. Especially enjoyed the candlelit suppers on the veranda and breakfast next to the enormous bird feeder. Look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank elizabeth a
Cape Town
Reviewed 21 May 2013

A wonderful tranquil venue to escape the madness of the city and breathe fresh Karoo air. Between the caring host, Len, his excellent chef, Hennie, and the housekeeping ladies I could not have wished for a more relaxing venue for a break away.
I can recommend Thabile Lodge to anyone who wants to escape the city. The drive through the Karoo is beautiful and by the time you are settled in your room with its simplistic luxuries, you feel as if you have arrived home.
The rooms are supplemented with a pool and restaurant terrace (both with views that rival those from the verandah of my cottage), as well as the fitness equipment, sauna and jacuzzi, and I felt I did not want to return to the hustle and bustle.
With the availability of WiFi also at the cottages, I had the choice of complete privacy to sit and work on my veranda, or I could sit and relax with other guests on the restaurant veranda.
Guests during my visit was a mixture of foreign tourists (mainly German during my stay) and from the banter and laughter on the veranda it was obvious that the tourists also had a relaxing stay at Thabile. (I find the enjoyment of our foreign visitors always a good indication of the quality of the venues I visit.)
I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Coach_Wills
Middelburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This was a great Lodge with an excellent host. We had a stunning time. The food and the service was superb. The rooms were equipt with everything you need, with a breathtaking view of the mountains. I would highly recommend Thabile Lodge to anyone as a must stay if you visit the Karoo! Thank you Len.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnitaSteenkamp
cooranbong nsw australia
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Staying at Thabile Lodge was one of the great highlights of our trip to South Africa, The cottages were well appointed and comfortable. The mainlodge dining and bar were superb especially dining on the verandah where we had dinner at night and breakfast in the morning.Our host Len was excellent with local knowledge on attractions and made you feel at home with interesting chatter and jokes while dining.I can recommend the experience highly and carnt wait to return to Lens hospitality.

Room Tip: All rooms are good with views across the mountains