“An oasis”

Thabile Lodge
San Francisco, California
“An oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Thabile was an oasis, away from crowd, traffic and urban noise, surrounded by beautiful landscape of mountains and plantation. Since the weather was so lovely, the porch was where we hung out and had all our meals. From the porch, we watched colorful birds eating out of the feeder, listened to the river running, enjoyed the view of green grass against red mountains in the background and petted the five dogs and Garfield, the cat. Our lovely barn styled room was spacious. The bed was huge and comfortable and the shower was amazing. Len and Arnold were great hosts and really care about their guests. I wasn’t feeling well the first night after we arrived and skipped dinner. They made me a plate of food to eat in the room. After I felt better the next day, I enjoyed both the rugged natural beauty Oudtshoorn has to offer and the serenity of Thabile. After a day full of interesting activities, we had fun and engaging conversation with the hosts and other guests on the porch and an amazing meal prepared by Arnold. We had Bobotie, Ostrich Steak and chocolate cake. Everything was delicious. I only wish I wasn’t sick the first day. Len and Arnold were so accommodating and made our two-night-stay an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed in Thabile Lodge for 2 nights. It was the highlight of our 2 weeks stay in South-Africa. The rooms are good however you can always find something wrong. What my stay made so special are the hosts, the location and the little paradise the hosts created. Len and his partner are very special people who will do everything to make their hosts at home. They showed us some special things to see and do in the area and taught some Afrikaans. I will always remember that the dutch word for "Cat" is something very much different in Afrikaans. The location is remote but with extra-ordinary views day and nicht (so much stars!). Unfortunately there's no McDonalds around ;-)
Thabile Lodge is an animal paradise with Garfield, the dogs, Ostriches and a whole bunch of beautiful and colourful birds. Even if you want to relax their is a real pool, jacuzzi and sunbathing area. Thanx for having us!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Sadly I only spent one night and it was a highlight of a 2 week tour of South Africa. Len you are a fantastic host and I felt at home the second we arrived (my friend Wendy from Australia was with me). I will be back... what are you doing over Christmas? Highly recommend this fun, eclectic, great food, great company and accommodation. Karin

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Mannheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

very nice place (in the middle of nowhere) to stay. the rooms are in little "double-houses" with breathtaking view. the houses are lovely furnitured (a little bit dark, but thats no problem). the hosts (Len and Arnold) are very friendly and gave a lot of good tips what to do in and around oudtshoorn (where to go etc.) and did an excellent dinner for us. beautiful garden with thousands of birds.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We spent two nights at Thabile lodge, on recent trip from Cape Town to Addo and Back.
And I have to admit I was not expecting much from our stay in this country house - and was only thinking of it as a place to layour head when we get back each evening.
I could have been more surprised! Len our host, was without question the most accomodating, charming, and caring host I have had the pleasure to meet in quite some time.
We have a little 7 month old and he did his best to make sure that all our needs were taken care of - with sensitivity and good humour.
My Parents visitng from Australia were blowen away by the hospitality and the cooking!
and we are all in aggreement the cooking was superb - amongst all the fine meals we had there the Ostrich was the stand out - the best I have ever had.

There were two many touches to service to mention here - sufffice to say I could recommed this charming tranquil place enough.
Thanks to Len and all the staff.
Marcus and the Robb / Wachs / Pern Clan

Room Tip: The rooms are set up as duplexes and not as sound proof as other accomodations - so just bear that i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marcus R
Odense, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

The atmosphere at Thabile Lodge made our stay very relaxing, and it was easy to enjoy the beautiful surroundings. We easily felt comfortable. Luxurious but casual, and the hosts are amazing! We had an amazing three course dinner, homemade by Len himself.
Strongly recommended for everyone seeking good company, delicious food and luxury without boundaries.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were lucky enough to stay with Len and his staff at Thabile Lodge this past weekend, and from the moment we arrived we knew we were in for a treat. Our room was perfect..everything clean and fresh and modern. We enjoyed a delicious three-course meal on both nights in a cosy relaxed atmosphere on a candle-lit patio with a fire burning nearby which I can only describe as "top drawer". Len is a perfect host and even had us in stitches with his wonderful light-hearted down to earth personality. We made new friends this weekend and we will definitely be back ASAP. I can highly recommend Thabile Lodge to anyone whether it be for a romantic getaway or with family.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends