“Not a good experiencer.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grande Roche Hotel

Grande Roche Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Paarl
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Not a good experiencer.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

It was our anniversary while on holiday in south Africa ,. so I decided to take my wife to a 5 star Hotel for a few days..
we were shown the room, which was a few minutes walk across the garden.The room looked great so we decided to have it..We were tired after a long day, so before dressing for dinner we decided to have a glass of wine outside. I was carrying the two glasses,the door shut behind me. I was walking across the.garden to get another key. I asked a guest if I could use his phone to call reception, he said he couldn't stop he was looking for is kids, he was playing hide and seek ..On the way back I tripped on the path, having no footwear on I cut my toe and leg..The path needed relaying and the wooden bridge needed repair.I could have easily have broken my leg..
Having had first aid . I look for the cushion for the sunlounger they were none.My wife said she would like a bath but the plug leaked too fast.Having had the trouble, so I started looking for other faults.Which I found. The W.C. seat needed repair,the tiles on the bathroom floor needed grouting.the wall was damp. the aircon needed the thermostat adjusting it was too cold or too hot.With my cut leg we decided not to go to dinner. coming back in the dark wasn't a good idea The next morning, we decided to leave , only to find out I had left my lights on and my battery was flat. The only comment from the staff was "Oh it was your car with the lights on.. We were in a hurry to leave we carried our own cases the long.walk to the car.We carried on with our holiday in 3 Star B&B. I cant beleave our room was the only one with faults It seems to me most of the hotel needs a good maintenance job .Has another reviewer wrote Not 5 star Quality.

Room Tip: Don't take a room so far from the main hotel unless they have repaired the bridge and path....
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AnjaBoskenGM, General Manager at Grande Roche Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Grande Roche Hotel.

I am most disappointed that we failed to deliver on our promise to impress.

Being a boutique hotel, I try to interact with all our guests during their stay in an attempt to address any concerns they might have. Your constructive criticism is much appreciated and we will use it to implement the necessary policies and procedures to ensure that this incident is not repeated.

Should you plan to return to the Grande Roche Hotel or to Paarl in general, please contact me directly as I would be honoured to assist with your booking and meet with you during your stay.

Anja Bosken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel is just amazing, from the moment you enter the gates to the moment you leave you will feel special. The staff really make this hotel something special, and should receive the highest recognition from the owners. How lovely it was to be checked in from the beautiful terrace with a glass of sparkling wine, and what a view it is. The rooms are very nice with a fantastic bathroom, and the bedroom hold a massive bed.
I received a lovely cake for my birthday, and must advise due to its pure yummyness i now weigh 20kg more!
Thank you to all of the staff, you are doing a fantastic job.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AnjaBoskenGM, General Manager at Grande Roche Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014

My team and I were delighted to read your review of the Grande Roche Hotel.

Well done to the Grande Roche Hotel team for making this a memorable experience.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Grande Roche Hotel is definitely something special, from the welcoming to the food, to the special touches in the rooms. I thoroughly enjoyed the Bubbles and Braai and thought that the food was incredibly tasty and beautifully presented. One can see that the staff work hard and for me, what sets this hotel apart from some of the others I have been to, is the friendliness of the staff and dedication to ensure that each guest is well taken care of. Keep it up!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AnjaBoskenGM, General Manager at Grande Roche Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

My team and I were delighted to read your review of the Grande Roche Hotel. We know it is the small details that count.

Well done to the Grande Roche team for making this a memorable experience.

Paarl, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We attended a breakfast for a 50th birthday. The experience was very disappointing. The service was almost nonexistent and we had to ask for them to serve the coffee and champagne over and over again. I had the impression that their only desire was to get us out of there. The food was OK, but the it is not very appetizing with lots of flies all over the place. Certainly not 5 star quality.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Emarie B
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bosman’s Restaurant.

Fish Hoek
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

So sad when a beautiful establishment falls short on service and quality. Booked a lunch with great expectation but was sorely disappointed with size of serving and service. Ordered duck with salad IN LIEU of mash and leeks. Was served the smallest portion of duck and was charged extra for the very small salad which replaced the mash and leeks. The wine was fortunately very good. At R 335 per person for one course and one bottle of wine, this was a total ripoff and not what we had expected.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil6909
AnjaBoskenGM, General Manager at Grande Roche Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014

Eastcote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We returned to the Grande Roche, and were very happy with the whole experience. The view from Bosman's restaurant is breathtaking, especially at sunset, where the vista changes by the minute.
The room was excellent, with a view of Paarl mountain.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AnjaBoskenGM, General Manager at Grande Roche Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014

My team and I were delighted to read your review of the Grande Roche Hotel.

It is our passion to ensure that all guests leave the Winelands with happy memories. We do hope that you will return soon and enjoy the hotel and its culinary experiences.

Innsbruck, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very nice situated small luxury hotel surrounded by vinyards, with beautiful gardens and also a very nice pool. A little up the hill so you have a beuatiful view over the valley around Paarl. In the back of the Hotel you have the beautiful Paarl mountains.
Rooms located in different small buildings around the garden. Stayed in a very nice room with marvellous refurbished bathroom.
Restaurant in the main building offers a great dining experience with a vast selection of wines (also by the glass). Enjoy your dinner on the marvellous terrace overlooking Paarl´s landscape!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Anja Bosken
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paarl
De Leeuwenhof Hotel/Guesthouse
#1 of 16 in Stellenbosch
Mont Rochelle
Mont Rochelle
#7 of 11 in Franschhoek

Been to Grande Roche Hotel? Share your experiences!