“Very disappointed, not 5 star service”

Bosman's Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 98 Restaurants in Paarl
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We attended a breakfast function, and were very disappointed with the service and lack of planning for the function. We were a group of 40 people, and they have clearly not thought about the logistics. There were also flies everywhere, I am sure there should be a way to address this?

AnjaBoskenGM, General Manager at Bosman's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bosman’s Restaurant.
I am most disappointed that we failed to deliver on our promise to impress.

Being a boutique hotel, I try to interact with all our guests during their stay in an attempt to address any concerns they might have. Your constructive criticism is much appreciated and we will use it to implement the necessary policies and procedures to ensure that this incident is not repeated .

Should you plan to return to the Grande Roche Hotel or to Paarl in general, please contact me directly as I would be honoured to assist with your booking and meet with you during your stay.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have been before, and were disappointed this year.Presentation brilliant, taste only ok. The view at sunset is breathtaking. I am a keen photographer, and take my tripod to photo the sunset, but the waiter would not let me have the table I requested (unoccupied all evening!). .

AnjaBoskenGM, General Manager at Bosman's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

I am most disappointed that we failed to deliver on our promise to impress.

Your constructive criticism is much appreciated and we will use it to implement the necessary policies and procedures to ensure that this incident is not repeated.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Excellent global cuisine with a vast selection of wines even by the glass. Professional and friendly staff.

Dear Valued Guest,

My team and I were delighted to read your review of Bosman’s Restaurant.

It is our passion to ensure that all guests leave the Winelands with happy memories.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

An interesting choice of menu, something for everybody and sitting on the terrace overlooking the mountains is divine. A personal service from the staff and the chef is an artist, the presentation is so pretty. We had one meat eater and one vege . The former had a tasty meal (in fact we ate for two nights here it was so good). The vege looked superb and the menu was creative but lacked flavour, a basic bug-bear for vegetarians. Tasting menu was just too much food and drink, so many flavours and combinations it was a lot to take in in one sitting though it was a culinary experience and the chef is not afraid to experiment and take risks, which I applaud so overall thoroughly recommended.

Dear Valued Guest,

My team and I were delighted to read your review of Bosman’s Restaurant. We do hope that you will visit again soon to experience the beautiful view and the chefs culinary delights.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were at the Restaurant on January 31 and it was my wife's birthday. We had read a lot about the Restaurant and I wanted to make this a special birthday for my wife. We had booked two month in advance just to make sure we got a table. As we wanted to enjoy that evening as long as possible, we booked the table for 6p.m. We were acompanied by our friends, so we were 4 People together.
We had the degustation menue and I can only say one thing about the People in the kitchen: They are not just Cooks, they are artists and they deserve my highest respect for the Food they create for the guests. But what a pity, if the rest doesn't meet the high Standard of the kitchen.
We started with a bottle of champagne. I am not complaining about the fact, that shortly after we sat down on a table outside, someone started noisily to move the Parasols away with a sack Barrow, I am not complaining about the fact that we ended up with two bottles of champagne without me having ordered the second bottle. I am not complaining about the fact that it took very long to get the Manuals and other guests arriving much later than us had already ordered the meal before we even saw the Manual.
But I am complaining about an absolute unacceptable Service with the winemanual. This Restaurant has a high Rating at Diners for it's superb winelist in 2013. This must be a joke, or the tester didn't check the availability of the wines on the list. I had ordered three different wines with our degustation menue. It started with a Warwick Professor Black Sauvignon Blanc, followed by a Kleine Constantia Riesling and then a 2006 Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon. I ordered all the bottles at the beginning and gave clear instructions, that the Red wine to be decanted directly so it could breathe for an hour or even a little longer.
The waiter then returned and told me, that the Sauvignon Blanc was out and recommended another wine. Isn't it astonishing, that a wine is out, and still on the Manual? It couldn't just have happened when we were there, we were more or less the first guests. and the winelist, consisting of individual pages that can easily be exchanged, was not up to date. This I do not blame the waiter for, this is poor Management. But I wouldn't make such a big Story out of it, if not after two hours we were getting to our main course and now I wanted to test the Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon. Then the waiter appeared and told me, the Kanonkop was out as well. Now first of all, I had ordered three bottles of wine and two bottles are out! What kind of a Restaurant is this, who is Managing this place, and why doesn't he look after a proper winelist? Such a Management is absolutely unacceptable to me. The waiter apologized and said it was his fault, he hadn't decanted the wine and therefor not noticed that it was out. He then recommended the 2001 Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon to me. What choices did I have? I told him, the wine has no chance to breathe now, and he replied, that the wine is older ond therefore doesn't need to breathe that much anymore!!!!! I had no further comment for this, they really thought I am an idiot. But I do not want to Focus too much to this waiter who obviously didn't know anything about wine. I can only blame a poor Management for this. For those not familiar with the Region: The Warwick Estate and the Kanonkop Winery are both about 5Km away from the Restaurant. A Management who cares, constantly checks the stores and has the wines of the manual available or takes them off the Manual which is a very basic work and not too complicated.
I didn't allow ourselves to be so upset, that we spoiled my wifes birthday, but I was very angry about such a poor Management of the Restaurant. It is a shame, how Service and Management spoil the good work of the kitchen.