“Exceptional!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Terra Mare

Terra Mare
Ranked #1 of 87 Restaurants in Paarl
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This spot has a well-deserved long-standing reputation. Expect to find consistent food (that ever-elusive ingredient to success) and friendly, efficient service thanks to the personal care of the owner, Olivier, and his family team. This popular Paarl restaurant offers an intriguing mix of European-style dishes with the best that this area has to offer. The owners, Olivier and Delenia Jaeggi-Wright, he being Swiss and she of Italian descent, bring a European sensibility to a cuisine that is never precious, but concentrates on maximum flavour in generous portions - the kind of cooking that has made it a favourite with the locals for many years. Helping Olivier with the cooking is Thabo Nqadini, who has been at Terra Mare for 9 years, adding his very own African touch to the Swiss style of the house....
“Exceptional!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I checked TripAdvisor for the best restaurant in Paarl and Terra Mare was the no 1 restaurant, so I booked for a table of 6. I had a fig, parma ham and mozzarella starter and Seared Tuna main. I can not remember when last I had such a perfect meal. Fresh and amazing combinations. We even called Thabo the chef to our table afterwards to thank him personally. He's been there for 8 years. I would drive from the southern suburbs just to go for lunch or dinner there. You don't have to think twice to book at this fabulous restaurant.

• Visited February 2014

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Shellfish poisoning from a vegetarian meal. I”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I ordered a vegetarian pasta and sent it back when it arrived containing shellfish. My husband checked it for me and I didn't eat any.

My dish came back but obviously the shellfish had simply been picked out. I am allergic to shellfish and have had a severe reaction. I didn't react until much later though when I got home.

The reaction from the maître d was also not great. I was really treated as though I should eat meat and stop being silly. This is despite specifically marked vegetarian dishes on their menu.

I am seriously ill from a reaction to a food I should have never come into contact with.

Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
“Yawn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Mediocre food with mediocre service. Also they apparently think that vegetarian means that you eat fish. This is inexcusable and was embarrassing when I had to send back a vegetarians friends food because it had prawns in it. Surely a restauranteur can be expected to understand this.

Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
“excellent food in pleasant atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

During our 2 month stay in South Africa we visited this restaurant several times.

Very good european style food in nice atmosphere.
The outside of the restaurant does not really attract a lot of attention, but this shouldn't fool you.
Once inside pleasanr atmosphere, good and friendly service and most important delicious food !!

• Visited January 2014
Paarl, South Africa
“One of our favourite dining experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

One of the best places to dine. The food no matter what you order, it simply is superbly delicious and beautifully presented. Oliver and his team are accommodating and the service is excellent. Thank you Terra Mare you don't dissapoint.

• Visited January 2014