While I enjoy Paarl, my last stay at the Zomerlust Guesthouse was truly a sad affair. Below I list a few issues I had at this so called 4 star during a 1 week stay:
1. Carpets in rooms are not vacuumed but swept.
2. The shower tile was green and moldy.
3. Sewer water pipe fluids and matter shot out of the drain in the bathtub when you flushed the toilet.
4. Bathroom was littered in hair and filth.
5. Breakfast whether in my room or the restaurant was always late though they ask you what time you wish to eat and, of course, it is eggs everyday.
6. Do Not Disturb signs are routinely ignored.
7. The heat barely works.
8. Every fixture in my room was dirty and sticky.
9. Noise, noise, noise.
This place is a truly sorry hotel. I urge everyone to avoid it. Try Pontac Manor, Grand Roche or the Oude Paarl. This place has the best location but it just wrong.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to our heritage site in the historic center of Paarl. Situated in the Western Cape Winelands, about 45 minutes' drive from Cape Town and its international airport, Paarl is the ideal Winelands stayover. Major routes lead to the neighbouring towns of Franschhoek,Stellenbosch and Wellington Our Zomerlust property is a sustainable destination for the kontrei traveller - the traveller looking for authentic sense of place experiences. 1. Accommodation in the restored manor house of the Jacob Isaac de Villiers family. There are 10 double en-suite rooms, all individually decorated with selected period pieces and 4 cozy bedrooms in "Die Stal", the original cow stable in the garden. 2. The restaurant at Zomerlust offers home-cooked food. It has a large patio for al fresco meals and braai's (BBQ's) in the garden. 3. Die Taphuis, our boutique wine cellar, is the home of Boutique Baratok. The winemakers, Daniel Langenhoven and Alex Boraine with their Welgegund and Laska brands produced from grapes at Welgegund, Wellington. These and other boutique wines are available in Die Kraan, our ladies' bar. This is also the only place where PAARL ROCK brandy, part of the de Villiers heritage, can be enjoyed. 4. Zomerlust is the home of our in house tour operator, Kontrei Traveller - for guided, authentic local tours, transfers and tours deeper into South and Southern Africa. 5. The endemic and organic Garden with historical features from the De Villiers family is a place of tranquility for guests to interact with the seasonal dynamics of flora and fauna. 6. Special occasion or small executive workshop ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Zomerlust Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.